Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

International arrival, can I get an item from my bag during a 13 hour layover in SFO?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

International arrival, can I get an item from my bag during a 13 hour layover in SFO?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2019, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
I suppose it also has to do with lack of exit immigration in the US, hence no sterile area for departures. Most small international airports simply have a passage-way from arrival to the sterile departures area, not a major infrastructure need, but since there is no sterile departures area in the US this affects it. Surely for a few major airports, especially JFK and MIA with the connecting traffic to South America, it would make sense, but then there's the additional issue that terminals and gates in the US belong to airlines so each airline would have to have their own arrangement for this, as opposed to a common terminal
I thought Miami WAS one of the US airports with I-I transit???
Old Jul 29, 2019, 4:06 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by trooper
Is it? I've got a friend who's struggling to get from Colombia to India via Miami because of the need for a US Visa.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 4:29 am

Programs: CO Gold
Is it? I've got a friend who's struggling to get from Colombia to India via Miami because of the need for a US Visa.
this is a different thing, having direct I-I connections flow passenger wise is different from immigration requirements. US removed the former transit without visa after 9/11 as they figured it could be abused by terrorists claiming to do I-to-I travel without visa and being able to board a US bound plane
Old Jul 29, 2019, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I suppose it also has to do with lack of exit immigration in the US, hence no sterile area for departures. Most small international airports simply have a passage-way from arrival to the sterile departures area, not a major infrastructure need, but since there is no sterile departures area in the US this affects it. Surely for a few major airports, especially JFK and MIA with the connecting traffic to South America, it would make sense, but then there's the additional issue that terminals and gates in the US belong to airlines so each airline would have to have their own arrangement for this, as opposed to a common terminal
Exit immigration isn't technically a requirement, but it definitely contributes. You could have a terminal that didn't have any public exits; passengers would choose between international transfers (go through security, into the exit-less terminal) and domestic arrivals (go through customs into the domestic terminal). Departing international passengers would have to go through a one-way checkpoint into the international terminal as well. Exit immigration effectively serves as that checkpoint in most airports in other countries, but you could also use a one-way revolving door.

And, yes, you'd have to get the airlines and local airport authorities to agree. There are a few US airport with "international terminals" -- ORD and LAX come to mind - - but that's actually pretty instructive; UA doesn't operate departing flights from the international terminal at either of those airports.

Originally Posted by trooper
For luggage, yes. You still have to pass through passport control.

And that's another reason that I-I transit is disallowed; not so much the idea that people will sneak into the US, but the idea that we would have people on US soil who hadn't been vetted.

Anyway, this discussion is ranging a little OT. Unless SFO starts an I-I baggage transfer program prior to OP's flight, it's going to work out well.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I had no idea about the I-I transit and recently gave my friends the wrong advice.
Their UA FA told them they won't have to pick up their bags and recheck flying UIO-IAH-NRT, but I said that FA does not know what he's talking about.
After I said goodbye and whizzed through GE to my domestic flight, they ended up waiting at the belt for a very long time, until all the bags were out, instead of hanging out at the Polaris Club.
I felt terrible. They think I'm an expert so now my credibility is shot ; )

So is this only certain airports or everywhere in the US now?
narvik likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chavala
Only at certain airports. IAH is one of those. SFO is not.
chavala likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 11:15 am

Programs: UA 1k, 1MM
This should not be an issue at all. You'll pick up your bag, can retrieve the item before dropping off your bag with your connecting carrier (UA?).
Old Jul 29, 2019, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I had no idea about the I-I transit and recently gave my friends the wrong advice.
Their UA FA told them they won't have to pick up their bags and recheck flying UIO-IAH-NRT, but I said that FA does not know what he's talking about.
After I said goodbye and whizzed through GE to my domestic flight, they ended up waiting at the belt for a very long time, until all the bags were out, instead of hanging out at the Polaris Club.
I felt terrible. They think I'm an expert so now my credibility is shot ; )

Only certain airports have ITI including IAH, DFW, and MIA, possibly ATL but don't quote me on that one.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 11:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I think OP's flight is same day - arriving in the am and departing pm. As long as it is tagged my experience has been they will take it after customs.

When it is an overnight, i.e. arrive pm and depart am then they will not take it.

I often put things in and take things out of my bag in the baggage arrival hall and then take the bag through customs and put it on the belt outside for delivery to the next plane. For example, if I have come from cold weather if i did not put my overcoat in my bag when I checked it in then will do so on retrieval at SFO before connecting. Same with liquids.
My understanding is that USA CBP rules forbid opening (or removing/adding items) checked bags until you have gone through customs. After customs, you can open the bag before re-checking it at the airline bag drop just after leaving customs.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
My understanding is that USA CBP rules forbid opening (or removing/adding items) checked bags until you have gone through customs. After customs, you can open the bag before re-checking it at the airline bag drop just after leaving customs.
If anything, it would certainly look suspicious!
Old Jul 29, 2019, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
OP will have to go through a security checkpoint, either after customs or upon reentering the airport after visiting the city. This discussion is all based on the assumption that what the OP wants to get out of the checked bag is allowed as carry on. International or domestic, many items are allowed in checked bags that are not allowed in carry on. Of course, if the item is to be taken out of checked bag and delivered to someone in the city and not brought back to the airport, we don't want to know about it. DHS might.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If anything, it would certainly look suspicious!
I did not know this is a thing.

I have done it several times in the international baggage hall, before clearing customs. Typically I was adding things to the bag that I would not need on my domestic flights. No one gave me a look. And there were agents (and dogs) wandering around.

I have also seen plenty of others do it. I never gave it a second thought. I do not think anyone cares.
iluv2fly and Kannai like this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 5:05 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Global321
I did not know this is a thing.

I have done it several times in the international baggage hall, before clearing customs. Typically I was adding things to the bag that I would not need on my domestic flights. No one gave me a look. And there were agents (and dogs) wandering around.

I have also seen plenty of others do it. I never gave it a second thought. I do not think anyone cares.
I think that you are right and it's not an issue since passengers are really only clearing customs at the time that they give the form to the agents located at the exit. And for them, it does not make a difference if the things that need to be declared for the taxes or things that are illegal are in the checked luggage, the cabin luggage or on/in the passenger.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
I think that you are right and it's not an issue since passengers are really only clearing customs at the time that they give the form to the agents located at the exit. And for them, it does not make a difference if the things that need to be declared for the taxes or things that are illegal are in the checked luggage, the cabin luggage or on/in the passenger.
At least at SFO, you no longer give a form to the Customs agent - you just walk straight out unless stopped.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I think this sums up the issues quite well and is a perfect example of the malaise of a "can't do" attitude. Everyone is advised never to use US airlines to travel from Country A to Country B via the USA - it's a large missed opportunity for US airlines. Perhaps they would be better served getting sensible I to I arrangements rather than squealing about the ME3.
Kannai likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.