FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - International arrival, can I get an item from my bag during a 13 hour layover in SFO?
Old Jul 29, 2019, 11:40 am
MSPeconomist
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I think OP's flight is same day - arriving in the am and departing pm. As long as it is tagged my experience has been they will take it after customs.

When it is an overnight, i.e. arrive pm and depart am then they will not take it.

I often put things in and take things out of my bag in the baggage arrival hall and then take the bag through customs and put it on the belt outside for delivery to the next plane. For example, if I have come from cold weather if i did not put my overcoat in my bag when I checked it in then will do so on retrieval at SFO before connecting. Same with liquids.
My understanding is that USA CBP rules forbid opening (or removing/adding items) checked bags until you have gone through customs. After customs, you can open the bag before re-checking it at the airline bag drop just after leaving customs.