Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Crediting (UA/partner) FF account but getting benefits from another acct? [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 25, 2019, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Want to use UA benefits (E+ access, CPU, bag allowance, boarding group, ....) but credit flight to a partner program.
Best to wait until you have a BP and then at the airport use a kiosk to change to the program you wish to credit.
Should be able to keep seat assignment but if you use an airport agent to change the crediting program, there is a chance the agent will undo the E+ access or CPU
For multiple segments, this gets tricky as crediting is done post-flight (but not immediately) and changing programs (such as back to UA for a second flight) before you confirm posting can lead to unpredictable outcomes.

Related thread
Ability to Change MP Number on UAL.COM Removed {Now back @ checkin???}
Print Wikipost

Crediting (UA/partner) FF account but getting benefits from another acct? [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2015, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au

Situation: I am a 1K, but should be done with UA by at the end of this year. However, I have some GPUs that I may need to use. I am planning to credit the miles to another FFP, because I earn more miles doing that than crediting it to UAMP.

My question is, should IRROPs occur, can/will 1K help me/comp me based on my 1K?

My guess is no, but I wanted input from savvier travelers.

Thanks.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by DHalltheway
Situation: I am a 1K, but should be done with UA by at the end of this year. However, I have some GPUs that I may need to use. I am planning to credit the miles to another FFP, because I earn more miles doing that than crediting it to UAMP.

My question is, should IRROPs occur, can/will 1K help me/comp me based on my 1K?

My guess is no, but I wanted input from savvier travelers.

Thanks.
No. It will be a huge hassle for agents to switch the FFPs back and forth. In addition, some unaccommodating agents would flat out deny to keep your upgrade space if you use 1K to knock the upgrade up, change it to other FFPs, and put the 1K number back for better IRROPs.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat 100
To be clear, you'll still be able to call in and get help on your res from what's left of the 1k desk, but from the standpoint of any UA-initiated actions (proactive IRROPS rebooking, upgrade offers, boarding group assignment, seat assignment if A/C swap, etc) you'll be treated as a pleb.

IRROPS aside, the UG itself should be perfectly safe, since this is just a scenario where the account of the flyer is different from the account of the UG. Nothing wrong w/ that.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Paulakers2010
No. It will be a huge hassle for agents to switch the FFPs back and forth. In addition, some unaccommodating agents would flat out deny to keep your upgrade space if you use 1K to knock the upgrade up, change it to other FFPs, and put the 1K number back for better IRROPs.
sorry, that's just wrong.

Of course you can use your GPUs and credit to other programs ... just be ready to keep and use the original W-class receipt in case the R-class causes issues. In irops you will of keep your upgrades since they are supported by a GPU. I have had good luck getting help from the 1K line for other non-status pax when using my GPUs; I'd assume this should be the same if the 1K member is traveling but not crediting to UA.
The reservation will also still show in your 1K account and somehow this is all still linked even if you credit to another FQTV program
Old Jul 1, 2015, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by cfischer
sorry, that's just wrong.

Of course you can use your GPUs and credit to other programs ... just be ready to keep and use the original W-class receipt in case the R-class causes issues. In irops you will of keep your upgrades since they are supported by a GPU. I have had good luck getting help from the 1K line for other non-status pax when using my GPUs; I'd assume this should be the same if the 1K member is traveling but not crediting to UA.
The reservation will also still show in your 1K account and somehow this is all still linked even if you credit to another FQTV program
I think you give credit to UA way too much.
As I mentioned, it would be a hassle, I didn't say it's impossible. In addition, when you encounter some nasty agents, you may not get what you wish for especially in the events of IRROPs.

1K FFP number on UA with GPU upgrade will have a higher priority of IRROPs treatment than *A FFP number on UA with the GPU upgrade coming from whichever source it is. Your situation is entirely different. UA is getting more revenue because you referred the kettle passengers with your GPU. In OP's case, he's making UA to pay whichever *A partner FFP that he is using to get miles. Entirely different story.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 11:10 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
How to deal with 2 FF on UA flight?

I found a good economy price on K class. K class earn 100% on SQ but only 50% on TK.

I am TK Gold but no status on SQ. As I do not need anymore miles on TK, I am thinking to credit the miles on SQ. Should I put my SQ number upon reservation and flash my TK Gold card when I check in? I always do this in Asia.

Will this work in US?

Or should I put my TK number and ask the agent to switch it to upon while check in?
Old Apr 2, 2017, 11:14 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
What are look for getting from UA with the TK *G status?
Old Apr 2, 2017, 5:49 pm

Programs: None anymore
Perhaps priority checkin, security, and lounge access.

I think for all three options they look at your ticket and if it doesn't say *G on your ticket they may not accommodate you. Of course I have no personal experience with this as I collect all miles towards one account so I could be wrong.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
What are look for getting from UA with the TK *G status?
priority check in and baggage handling
Old Apr 2, 2017, 5:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by warrenw
Perhaps priority checkin, security, and lounge access. ....
A *G card will usually work for those items, hence the question.

Bag allowance is one benefit were the card is pretty iffy and requires the FF account on the PNR. But if that is not an issue, the card alone should work.

Priority boarding can also be iffy based on FT reports. But usually works if you press. YMMV
Old Apr 2, 2017, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I would put in the *G number in the reservation, then switch to the non elite account you want to credit to sometime at the airport, sometime after you've checked any bags, cleared security, accessed the lounge, etc.

This will I'll give you automatic access to the stuff you want without having to deal with anyone who may not want to override the computer. For example, there have been occasional reports of lounge agents not admitting folks based on a FF account they are not crediting to. Not often, but it happens.

You can change the number after - at a CS center, kiosk, with an agent in the lounge, gate agent, etc. kiosk may be the easiest if you can find one, and it will allow you to print a new BP with the new info (should say SQ instead of TK*G).
Old Apr 2, 2017, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
I would put in the *G number in the reservation, then switch to the non elite account you want to credit to sometime at the airport, sometime after you've checked any bags, cleared security, accessed the lounge, etc.

This will I'll give you automatic access to the stuff you want without having to deal with anyone who may not want to override the computer. For example, there have been occasional reports of lounge agents not admitting folks based on a FF account they are not crediting to. Not often, but it happens.

You can change the number after - at a CS center, kiosk, with an agent in the lounge, gate agent, etc. kiosk may be the easiest if you can find one, and it will allow you to print a new BP with the new info (should say SQ instead of TK*G).

but if I did not manage to change it, then I may have a risk that the flight will get credited to TK.

Can I ask the check in agent to switch the FF when I check in at ORD?

I have some issue with GA in LOP, when I asked for ST E+ benefit using AZ card while clocking to DL.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lingua101
but if I did not manage to change it, then I may have a risk that the flight will get credited to TK.

Can I ask the check in agent to switch the FF when I check in at ORD?

I have some issue with GA in LOP, when I asked for ST E+ benefit using AZ card while clocking to DL.
If you don't change it, then yes, it will credit to whatever you originally had on there.

It's really not difficult to have this done. You can ask the agent at check in, lounge agent/desk, agent at the CS desk past security, gate agent. Or consult any kiosk anywhere along the way - you should be able to change it there without human intervention.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 12:10 am

If you don't change it, then yes, it will credit to whatever you originally had on there.

It's really not difficult to have this done. You can ask the agent at check in, lounge agent/desk, agent at the CS desk past security, gate agent. Or consult any kiosk anywhere along the way - you should be able to change it there without human intervention.
Ok thanks. I have not been into ORD or US for ages
Old Apr 3, 2017, 7:46 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Or consult any kiosk anywhere along the way - you should be able to change it there without human intervention.
I'm pretty sure they've removed the ability to do this on the kiosk. I've tried and tried multiple times in 2016/2017 and have never once been successful. I've always had to see an agent.

Unless they've added it back in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.