Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Thai Airways (TG) award booking experiences using UA miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thai Airways (TG) award booking experiences using UA miles

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2018, 8:02 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Hi,

If you have a look at the Thai Airways forum, you would ultimately find this thread (link). Unfortunately, you would see the Thai downgrade on HKG route, and the lengthy discussion.
Essentially, as reported here (link), no more F from March 25th onwards.
Bangkok – Hong Kong eff 25MAR18 TG600/601 and TG606/607 777-300ER replaces previously filed 747-400

So, to answer your question,
SQ First class out of Hong Kong is not available to other mileage programs besides their own Krisflyer.
MileagePlus can only refund you the difference between F and biz class redemption miles. Whether they do that at the old mileage rates is questionable.
You dont really have any alternate flights in first class that you can negotiate to be put on to.
If you really needed a last swing at the Thai F experience from BKK, then negotiate to change the award to a date before 25th.

BKK Bangkok Metro / Suvarnabhumi Intl TH = BKK DMK [VTBS]
HKG Hong Kong Chek Lap Kok Intl HK [VHHH]
SAT 24 Mar 2018 | 1 Seat

Carrier Flight From Depart To Arrive A/C St Award Availability
--------- ------ ---- -------- ---- -------- --- -- ------------------
TG 600 BKK 08:00 HKG 11:45 747 0 FS+
TG 606 BKK 16:00 HKG 19:45 747 0 FS+ CS+

Otherwise, you would have to stretch your budget and book an award from BKK to HND/NRT/KIX/SYD just to experience the buggy, lounge and spa.

Last edited by Tokyoite; Mar 7, 2018 at 8:09 am
Old Mar 7, 2018, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tokyoite
SQ First class out of Hong Kong is not available to other mileage programs besides their own Krisflyer.

Otherwise, you would have to stretch your budget and book an award from BKK to HND/NRT/KIX/SYD just to experience the buggy, lounge and spa.
Well, regional awards in F are widely available on SQ partners. However, I believe SQ still blocks F availability based on aircraft type, even regionally, so it would only be available on the 772 773 non-ER, and I don't see any of those on SIN-HKG. If they did happen to have one in the schedule, you could probably get an award ticket on it. Of course, I don't see any awards transiting SIN at all when I do a BKK-HKG search; in fact, all I'm seeing are the TG nonstops. So, I doubt that you'd be able to talk UA into this particular change, even if you did find a 772 with available O inventory.

That's going to be quite a budget stretch, though, as I imagine UA will want the current redemption levels -- 65K to any of those destinations, vs. 40K for S. Asia - S. Asia on the old chart.

Incidentally, I didn't find the regional F experience on SQ to be worth flying 1500 km in the wrong direction, but that's obviously a matter of personal preference.

Last edited by jsloan; Mar 7, 2018 at 10:04 am Reason: Correct plane type
Old Mar 7, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Sucks but that is TG. Honestly I would look at the J ticket prices and consider refunding the miles. I used to just buy o/w F tickets when it was the A380 now and then the last few years.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 9:54 am

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by jsloan
Well, regional awards in F are widely available on SQ partners. However, I believe SQ still blocks F availability based on aircraft type, even regionally, so it would only be available on the 772, and I don't see any 772s on SIN-HKG. If they did happen to have one in the schedule, you could probably get an award ticket on it. Of course, I don't see any awards transiting SIN at all when I do a BKK-HKG search; in fact, all I'm seeing are the TG nonstops. So, I doubt that you'd be able to talk UA into this particular change, even if you did find a 772 with available O inventory.
Of course another complication is that none of the SQ 772s even have F...

F on SIN-HKG will be on the A380 or the 77W continuing to SFO and SQ blocks F (and J) availability on those aircraft types
Old Mar 7, 2018, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by truncated
Of course another complication is that none of the SQ 772s even have F...

F on SIN-HKG will be on the A380 or the 77W continuing to SFO and SQ blocks F (and J) availability on those aircraft types
Sorry, yes; I meant the regional 773. And, you're right; all I saw on the schedule for SIN-HKG with an F cabin were 77W and A380, although I didn't know how frequently that changes.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 7:26 pm

Programs: Asian Club *g, AC Aeroplan, EK Skywards, QF Frequent Flyer, Velocity VA, Hilton Honors Diamond
Thanks for the responses and I figured this would be the case but thought I would check with others experiences. Thanks Tokyoite for the link to the TG forum which I had not considered to check and this is clearly impacting many.
I have received a email re my July flight but not yet my Sept flights, also booked in TG F so assume that will soon come.

I called in and they would not secure any F seats (as expected) so have moved to a better time for me that day in business. It was partially wanting the flight experience but more so the F ground benefits in BKK which is a shame these cannot be honoured.

Thanks again for the thoughts

SYD/YYZ
Old May 23, 2018, 7:14 am

Programs: CX SL, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton HHonors Diamond
No Thai Award after March 30, 2019 (have returned?)

I couldn't find any business class direct flight from BKK to HKG after March 30 whereas it's bookable with other *A partner such as Aegean, this should have been easy as there are multiple flights a day, any reason why?
Old May 23, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Accor Diamond, AC 35K, National Exec, Hertz Gold
Thai availability dropped of the face of the earth starting March 30th. Have not heard of any reason for it.

I have found some flights, but only on Wednesdays or Saturdays. No other days of the week seem to have anything.

Expert flyer / United shows the same data. Other sites like ANA and Avianca shows what one would have considered "normal" Thai availability, but who knows if it's real or phantom.
Old May 23, 2018, 10:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by mjrobson
Expert flyer / United shows the same data. Other sites like ANA and Avianca shows what one would have considered "normal" Thai availability, but who knows if it's real or phantom.
If I recall correctly, Expert Flyer uses United for Star Alliance award availability, so I would expect them to match.
Old May 24, 2018, 6:29 am

its very strange, any one know the reason why?
Old Jun 4, 2018, 7:44 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Accor Diamond, AC 35K, National Exec, Hertz Gold
A number of my Expert Flyer alerts in April triggered last night and I am seeing a lot more Thai award space now.

I am hoping it's only a matter of a day or 2 before Aeroplan / United see that space again.
jsloan and zymm like this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by mjrobson
A number of my Expert Flyer alerts in April triggered last night and I am seeing a lot more Thai award space now.

I am hoping it's only a matter of a day or 2 before Aeroplan / United see that space again.
still nothing on BKK to HKG after march 30
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by btang
Ya, all of the TG and OZ flights vanished again. Nothing available.. No idea what is going on.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by btang
btang - FYI - Aeroplan has all TG flights back now for a lot of April and into May.

I would check UA again and see.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 5:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
UA's price for TG awards between BKK and HKG is now so outrageous, does it really matter? Used to be 25k one-way for J, 35k for F. Now it's 45k for J (and there is no F anymore).

Such a rip-off. Paid J ticket on TG originating at HKG costs only $600 RT. So if you redeem, you're getting only .6 cpp

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.