Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA in no rush to respond to DL's improved Y intl service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA in no rush to respond to DL's improved Y intl service

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Interesting on the tray vs bulk cost savings. Is this in the vein of the Etihad enhancement - looks like they switched to a plate setup for cost savings.

https://livefromalounge.boardingarea...my-class-seat/

Now if someone can figure out how to improve the first class food this way - had a DL F dinner flight this week with at best 4 ounces of a main course.
I wasn't aware of this Etihad development, but it looks almost identical to Delta's Y dining and underscores the commercial reasons for pursuing such a service concept, notwithstanding the warm-and-fuzzies. Etihad has a perception as a "quality" airline, but in reality, is aggressively trying to control costs. There's no doubt, in my mind, this is an overall cost savings. For the most part, airline service items are standard-form with limited customization (e.g. premium cabin rocks glasses) so it would appear to me that some injection-mold plastic servingware vendor, like Wessco, has a new line of Y/C disposable products and signed EY and DL up as its first customers.

Expect more airlines to follow in the guise of "providing a more personalized service", while the large trays, with multiple pre-provisioned cold items (appetizer, salad, cheese, butter, S+P, crackers, coffee cup, utensil rollup, water cup, dessert, etc... thinking along the lines of BA Y here) progressively disappear among major carriers..

Last edited by EWR764; Jul 12, 2019 at 8:33 am
Old Jul 12, 2019, 11:56 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus
Please give us more food, UA! I do not care that much about the food quality, but I cannot stand being starved on TPAC flights. If it continues to be the case, I am sure I can find an airline that can keep me stuffed.
I'm confused. Are you saying you will pay substantially more for a plane ticket, travel on a less convenient itinerary, accept a less comfortable seat, eat less palatable food and be served by a more surly staff, so long as the food is more copious? I would spend $15 for an overpriced airport sandwich and some snacks to carry on with me rather than accept poorer performance on price, convenience, comfort, etc. But each to his own ...
moondog, jsloan, Miggles and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 6:10 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by seenitall
I'm confused. Are you saying you will pay substantially more for a plane ticket, travel on a less convenient itinerary, accept a less comfortable seat, eat less palatable food and be served by a more surly staff, so long as the food is more copious? I would spend $15 for an overpriced airport sandwich and some snacks to carry on with me rather than accept poorer performance on price, convenience, comfort, etc. But each to his own ...
The point is that with so much competition today, I do not need to pay "substantially more" (usually on the order of $100, not $500) to fly CX instead of UA on TPAC, especially because at HKG there are so many airlines to choose from. In the past year I already started flying on ANA metal (and avoid UA) in order to stay full while keeping *G. However, making an extra stop at NRT is not always desirable, so I may as well just switch to CX in future.

Another point is that I can pack my own food for a medium-haul flight, but there is simply no way I can pack and keep stable anything meaningful (other than shelf-stable foods) on TPAC flights. Even sandwiches need to be kept frozen.

In addition, I don't think people always fly the cheapest airline. At least most of us here do pay more to avoid Spirit, right?
Old Jul 12, 2019, 7:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Even sandwiches need to be kept frozen.
People have been bringing sandwiches to school/work ever since the invention of the sandwich, and I dare say that many have managed to avoid freezer time.

Whenever I fly airlines with bad food offerings, I try to go the sandwich route if I know I'm going to be hungry. Unfortunately, PVG and PEK both suck in this capacity. HKG is a bit better, but still falls short of most large airports in the US and Europe.
ExplorerWannabe and Rumples like this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 7:55 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I have to wonder what proportion of UA ticket sales revenue are done via online travel agencies. DL’s service offering has become strong enough in the reduced-competition environment that within the past decade OTA sales have gone from being a third of its ticket revenue down to about 10%. I would expect that UA would remain in a relatively weaker position than DL in this regard (due to its lower service level), but that it too is way less dependent upon OTAs than was the case a decade ago.

DL’s more attractive service levels probably get it more directly booked customers than UA. And if UA doesn’t up its game, it’s not going to close the gap entirely with DL in this margin-enhancing way.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I just don't see how UA can charge a premium when its soft product is inferior. At some point, that may be a problem.

In my experience, more than half the time, UA's international business class pricing is at the high end of the competition. I fly for work, but we make individual choices for travel, and are not price insensitive - we have budgets. I will buy UA long-haul if it is the cheapest business class. GPUs used to make it the cheapest, but I can rarely find PZ at booking now, and I will not waitlist. So at least three times this year so far, I have purchased BA rather than UA because the UA price was ridiculous for the quality. (Like $6K-$10K, as opposed to $2.5K-$3.5K for BA.) Maybe UA doesn't care, or there aren't enough people like me, or the corporate contracts keep their market captive.

And here is another thing. I don't really look forward to UA long-haul flights because of the inferior soft product. I look forward to BA long-haul. The BA burger in the lounge (even at IAD), real champagne, better wines, Do & Co. food. Now, UA's marketers may say that it is unimportant that UA has that perception compared to the competition. But that seems like short-term thinking to me. (Now, years ago, BA food was worse than UA. Now it is miles better. It shows things can change.)
Old Jul 15, 2019, 9:47 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
. At least most of us here do pay more to avoid Spirit, right?
Amen to that!
Old Jul 15, 2019, 10:19 am

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Amen to that!
My only choices for a late Saturday flight from LAX to the SF Bay Area the other week were a 10:35 pm NK flight or a 10:45 pm UA flight. Since I could book a NK “F” seat — with bags, early boarding, etc. — for about the same price as the UA (non-BE) Y seat, it seemed like a no-brainer to go with NK. The flight was on time, no complaints, certainly better than sitting in Row 25 on UA.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 10:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
To me this thread shows the impossibility of uniformly pleasing everybody. The factors that determine airline choice are so complex. Let me delineate:
  1. Price (and to me this includes the value of ancillary services such as number of free bags and value of FFP credits accrued).
  2. Convenience: does the airline offer a nonstop to my destination, does it fly there frequently, reliably and at desirable times, etc.
  3. Hard product comfort (seat, etc)
  4. Soft product quality (food, beverages on plane and in lounges)
  5. Service (enjoy the interactions with employees, or try to minimize them)
Now for me personally, factors 1, 2 and 3 are what matter. In particular, I discount the value of 4 and 5 because I find that on any airline, these are quite variable. That is, I will get some flights with a good soft product and service, and some flights with bad -- and I cannot predict ahead of time which it will be. Therefore, even though airline A may, on average, provide better factors 4 and 5, because I cannot rely on this occurring, I don't let it reverse any choice that I would have made based on 1, 2 or 3.

For these reasons, it is not clear that UA should try to chase DL on its new offering of factor 4. Especially if it detracts focus from improving its status on factors 1, 2 and 3.
I agree with this priority but it would be nice to see UA add more to its Y meal service without screwing up something else. And bring the stroopwaffel systemwide.

I prefer a faster Y meal service v say SQ which takes forever. So UA has this part correct.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 10:38 am

Programs: united
Originally Posted by EWR764
I wasn't aware of this Etihad development, but it looks almost identical to Delta's Y dining and underscores the commercial reasons for pursuing such a service concept, notwithstanding the warm-and-fuzzies. Etihad has a perception as a "quality" airline, but in reality, is aggressively trying to control costs. There's no doubt, in my mind, this is an overall cost savings. For the most part, airline service items are standard-form with limited customization (e.g. premium cabin rocks glasses) so it would appear to me that some injection-mold plastic servingware vendor, like Wessco, has a new line of Y/C disposable products and signed EY and DL up as its first customers.

Expect more airlines to follow in the guise of "providing a more personalized service", while the large trays, with multiple pre-provisioned cold items (appetizer, salad, cheese, butter, S+P, crackers, coffee cup, utensil rollup, water cup, dessert, etc... thinking along the lines of BA Y here) progressively disappear among major carriers..
This strikes me as obvious because this is how buy on board is served and we know buy on board costs are kept as low as possible.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by milypan
My only choices for a late Saturday flight from LAX to the SF Bay Area the other week were a 10:35 pm NK flight or a 10:45 pm UA flight. Since I could book a NK “F” seat — with bags, early boarding, etc. — for about the same price as the UA (non-BE) Y seat, it seemed like a no-brainer to go with NK. The flight was on time, no complaints, certainly better than sitting in Row 25 on UA.
I similarly flew NK "up front" recently when it was the best-scheduled option (and a lot cheaper than competing F). Would certainly do it again long before flying any airline in Y.

But I am skeptical that we are representative of the traveling public, as the endless griping that air travel has become "unavoidably" terrible continues yet you can buy all the way up to F today for what an Economy ticket cost in the '70s.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
I similarly flew NK "up front" recently when it was the best-scheduled option (and a lot cheaper than competing F). Would certainly do it again long before flying any airline in Y.

But I am skeptical that we are representative of the traveling public, as the endless griping that air travel has become "unavoidably" terrible continues yet you can buy all the way up to F today for what an Economy ticket cost in the '70s.
It's true, but a Y ticket in the 1970s bought you baggage transport, meals, a seat more similar to a last-gen business class recliner than a current Y Slimline, a far less crowded cabin and consequently better service. Also, because prices were regulated, the ticket could be purchased with open return date (up to 365 days) and was transferrable and able to be sold by the passenger. I myself sold my return coupon because I decided to stay in Europe instead of returning to the US. I then purchased a coupon for my own return flight, 17 months after I had left.
I know the arguments about dereg generally make the cross-cabin case, but in my view, dereg's actual effect was to bring Y travel down to the affordability of a bus ticket, along with a similar reduction of service.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rickg523
It's true, but a Y ticket in the 1970s bought you baggage transport, meals, a seat more similar to a last-gen business class recliner than a current Y Slimline, a far less crowded cabin and consequently better service. Also, because prices were regulated, the ticket could be purchased with open return date (up to 365 days) and was transferrable and able to be sold by the passenger. I myself sold my return coupon because I decided to stay in Europe instead of returning to the US. I then purchased a coupon for my own return flight, 17 months after I had left.
I know the arguments about dereg generally make the cross-cabin case, but in my view, dereg's actual effect was to bring Y travel down to the affordability of a bus ticket, along with a similar reduction of service.
And F has also been leveled to coach standards, perhaps even lower, except for lie flat seats. Everything else about F is worse than the better coach offerings of the mid 1970s.

Does anyone else remember the “steak and champagne “ coach flights from NYC to Florida in those days? Definitely better than any front cabin food and drink today.
rickg523 likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by rickg523
Right.. I think my point is exactly that. The people who complain that air travel is become "unavoidably miserable" are overlooking both (a) that getting on a flying machine is fantastically cheap today by any historical standard, and (b) if you "prefer the old days" you can pay roughly what you did back then and still get a roughly comparable product (definitely less flexibility, comparable food and service in today's F to yesteryear's Y, and a better seat).
moondog and rickg523 like this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Artpen100
I just don't see how UA can charge a premium when its soft product is inferior. At some point, that may be a problem.

In my experience, more than half the time, UA's international business class pricing is at the high end of the competition. I fly for work, but we make individual choices for travel, and are not price insensitive - we have budgets. I will buy UA long-haul if it is the cheapest business class. GPUs used to make it the cheapest, but I can rarely find PZ at booking now, and I will not waitlist. So at least three times this year so far, I have purchased BA rather than UA because the UA price was ridiculous for the quality. (Like $6K-$10K, as opposed to $2.5K-$3.5K for BA.) Maybe UA doesn't care, or there aren't enough people like me, or the corporate contracts keep their market captive.

And here is another thing. I don't really look forward to UA long-haul flights because of the inferior soft product. I look forward to BA long-haul. The BA burger in the lounge (even at IAD), real champagne, better wines, Do & Co. food. Now, UA's marketers may say that it is unimportant that UA has that perception compared to the competition. But that seems like short-term thinking to me. (Now, years ago, BA food was worse than UA. Now it is miles better. It shows things can change.)
I understand what you're saying and I would dearly love to return to the luxuries of yesteryear, even in Y, but wouldn't want the airfares of 40 years ago. More to the point, UA's ability to pack the front cabin regardless of their pricing and your/my/someone else's perception of the quality of that product would suggest they don't have much incentive to increase costs to improve quality. I wish it were otherwise but the bottomline is that people are paying to get in that cabin (or flying enough at other times to get in that cabin).

The point is that with so much competition today, I do not need to pay "substantially more" (usually on the order of $100, not $500) to fly CX instead of UA on TPAC, especially because at HKG there are so many airlines to choose from. In the past year I already started flying on ANA metal (and avoid UA) in order to stay full while keeping *G. However, making an extra stop at NRT is not always desirable, so I may as well just switch to CX in future.

Another point is that I can pack my own food for a medium-haul flight, but there is simply no way I can pack and keep stable anything meaningful (other than shelf-stable foods) on TPAC flights. Even sandwiches need to be kept frozen.

In addition, I don't think people always fly the cheapest airline. At least most of us here do pay more to avoid Spirit, right?
I am willing to pay more to avoid shoddy maintenance and co-pilots with a few hundred hours of flight experience. People seem to forget that refrigeration is still a relatively new technology and mankind managed to thrive without it for thousands of years. I wouldn't suggest you take Hawaiian poke or sashimi on a 17 hour flight but I've done my share of hiking and there are lots of delicious satisfying meals you can take and eat safely after a long day without refrigeration and without being radiated or vacuum-packed or otherwise made "shelf-stable".

Originally Posted by findark
Right.. I think my point is exactly that. The people who complain that air travel is become "unavoidably miserable" are overlooking both (a) that getting on a flying machine is fantastically cheap today by any historical standard, and (b) if you "prefer the old days" you can pay roughly what you did back then and still get a roughly comparable product (definitely less flexibility, comparable food and service in today's F to yesteryear's Y, and a better seat).
Agreed. I remember investigating airfares from HI to NM in the 1970s when my Boy Scout troop was contemplating a trek at Philmont. Over $2000 in 1979 for a coach ticket. No thanks.
moondog likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.