Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA in no rush to respond to DL's improved Y intl service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA in no rush to respond to DL's improved Y intl service

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by formeraa
Oh, really? Where are they going to sit? Load factors are generally 85% on most flights. By and large, all the business people (who fly Y) have probably already switched airlines based on the various change in FF programs over the past 4 years. I doubt that the kettles are paying attention. I think the best strategy is to look at the airlines which provides the best price and schedule to get you to your destination (at least those of us who don't fly enough for elite status).
if DL runs out of seats I’m sure they can lease a few more 777-300’s and fit them into some of the abandoned gates that AA is abandoning in Shanghai and Beijing.
Traveler_boy_25 likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
Originally Posted by bubbashow

Transatlantic, I get off a UA flight hungry.
It keeps me thin so I can fit in the 10 across.

Last edited by 8MiHi; Jul 9, 2019 at 1:28 pm Reason: changed to thin
Old Jul 9, 2019, 1:36 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by EWR764
I have some relatives in inflight at Delta and have been paying attention to this trial dining concept for a while since it started on PDXNRT. Believe it or not, the new Delta Y service is actually a cost saving measure, as it eliminates tray setups loaded in carts, cuts one pass of the bar cart, is actually less food, and increases FA workload significantly. It also results in a longer, more drawn-out main service... expect tweaks on the East Coast EU redeye flights.
Delta's been doing a bunch of small trial work to figure out how to make the new service standard go smoothly when it goes live- on a recent transatlantic flight, the chocolates and towels were already there and there seemed to be about 3-4 additional passes with glasses of water or coffee service that didn't used to be there.

There was some chatter on the westbound flight about how active the FAs were on the flight and how they were really working it- no hanging out in the galley for gossip and magazines. So employee buy-in is required in a major way and I'm not sure if United is in a place to push new service levels up like that
BearX220, demkr, milski and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA GS (1MM), DL Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Avis CC
DL is great at getting good press on this, but realistically, I'm skeptical about the delivery of this. For instance, the welcome Bellini is replacing the first round of bar car service. So if you want anything else, you're going to have to wait till all the Bellinis are passed out, then the meal service, THEN the drink.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 9, 2019 at 2:44 pm Reason: OT contenet removed per Moderator note
Old Jul 9, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by SteveHK
DL is great at getting good press on this, but realistically, I'm skeptical about the delivery of this. For instance, the welcome Bellini is replacing the first round of bar car service. So if you want anything else, you're going to have to wait till all the Bellinis are passed out, then the meal service, THEN the drink.
Aside from the 10 across 777s, I generally agree with this. I was Plat/Diamond alongside GS for several years; at the time the lack of fleetwide wifi at UA was my biggest gripe but at the end of the day the experience was pretty similar.... oh except skypesos were a headache for premium longhaul.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 9, 2019 at 2:45 pm Reason: Quote uodated to reflect moderator edit
Old Jul 9, 2019, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott LT Au, Hilton C, IHG PtA
Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus
In contrast, for the few times I flew DL, I never feel hungry at all! You can usually get a salad, an appetizer, a substantial main dish, and a dessert in Economy, which is sufficient to keep me stuffed until the mid-flight snack service.
In a galaxy far away and a long time ago UA used to serve crackers with a spread before the main meal service, and your meal actually had a sweet desert... The "salad" has only been a real salad (you know lettuce, not some el-cheapo grain substitute) once in the past 3+ years...

Despite DL's "spin" on this, they are adding a differentiation to their service/product; some people might like that, some might not. The chance of it driving away customers is probably a lot lower than the chance it will keep or attract customers; that last train of thought is what's sorely missing at UA the better half of the last decade. Kirby&Parker have taken the America Worst mentality and now have their fingers in two instead of one airline (hey, the merging/hollowing out of a corporate shell can only go so far).

It's also interesting to compare the service levels one gets on the various members of TATL/TPAC Joint Ventures; from my limited sampling, I feel that UA is much less competitive than LH, OS or LX when compared to DL and AF or KL.
BearX220, moondog, milski and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM); AA LT Gold (1.9 MM); SQ; WN; DL; "Bonvoy Ambassador""
This "is part of the airline’s plan to create “wow” moments “that feel like dining in your favorite splurge restaurant.' ” Really? Time will tell if in fact this is a true upgrade. We saw the overhype and initial pop from Polaris, then the cuts. It would seem to me that if UAL was to try to keep up with DL, they would have to offer a product that truly is better than they are currently offering and then tenaciously stick to it. I would love it if that happened.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 5:15 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by SteveHK
not exactly. The bar cart will accompany the meal cart. May lag behind a row or two, but definitely not after meal. You are incorrect
milski likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA GS (1MM), DL Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Avis CC
not exactly. The bar cart will accompany the meal cart. May lag behind a row or two, but definitely not after meal. You are incorrect
No, I'm not incorrect. Drink cart comes behind the meal cart. I am absolutely correct in the order of service. You will get a Bellini or not, then a meal, then a drink service.

From the article: Delta said the new service ... is part of the airline’s plan to create “wow” moments “that feel like dining in your favorite splurge restaurant.”

PUH-LEASE! I get Delta want to market this, but they must think of pretty low standards when it comes to a 'splurge restaurant.'
JOSECONLSCREW28 likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 9, 2019 at 6:48 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jul 9, 2019, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
This x1000. Every time I fly TPAC on UA, I feel uncomfortably hungry mid-flight, and starving for the mid-flight snack. I could not understand why the portion of food in Economy Class is so minuscule on UA. In particular, you just get a small salad and a small main dish, and that's it.
So much of this! The Y meals have really gotten small over the last couple of years. Flying TPAC I make sure to eat a solid meal at the airport before boarding because the in-flight meal just won't cut it for 14 hours. On a EWR-HKG flight maybe 6 months ago the main dish came with a side bowl of olives and that's it. And man do I hate olives...
Old Jul 9, 2019, 7:09 pm

I think waiting to see how it's received is a good strategy.

Personally, I would not want a bellini served in a plastic cup with some bottom shelf alcohol. I'd rather save the calories and have no alcohol at all.

Also airplane food in all almost all classes is bad. Even in J, it's bad until you put it in context of "well for airplane food". I prefer to just eat a large decent meal on the ground and sleep the entire flight and not eat any of the unhealthy airplane food options.

I'd rather more airlines focus on giving back as much personal space in Y as possible, IRROPS, and making sure their staff don't seem like they hate their lives.
Miggles and SteveHK like this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 7:17 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by coolbeans202
So much of this! The Y meals have really gotten small over the last couple of years. Flying TPAC I make sure to eat a solid meal at the airport before boarding because the in-flight meal just won't cut it for 14 hours. On a EWR-HKG flight maybe 6 months ago the main dish came with a side bowl of olives and that's it. And man do I hate olives...
Man, just a side bowl of olives? Really? I cannot believe that United has become so cheap. Now I am grateful that at least I got a 'side salad' (if you can still call it that) on my HKG-SFO flight two months ago. Maybe I should move my business to CX/DL (depending on where I fly) if I continue to get starved on TPAC flights.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 10:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Man, just a side bowl of olives? Really? I cannot believe that United has become so cheap. Now I am grateful that at least I got a 'side salad' (if you can still call it that) on my HKG-SFO flight two months ago. Maybe I should move my business to CX/DL (depending on where I fly) if I continue to get starved on TPAC flights.
I actually find that CX J food is worse than AA/DL/UA transpac, yet I still go with CX when flying times are comparable because the overall experience is better, and I can usually find decent food at HKIA as well as CX's NA gateways.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 11:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by B407
Also airplane food in all almost all classes is bad. Even in J, it's bad until you put it in context of "well for airplane food". I prefer to just eat a large decent meal on the ground and sleep the entire flight and not eat any of the unhealthy airplane food options.

I'd rather more airlines focus on giving back as much personal space in Y as possible, IRROPS, and making sure their staff don't seem like they hate their lives.
Sadly correct. We used to look forward to eating in J, but on our most recent TATL, MsHalls120 and I made sure to have a good meal on the ground before departure, and we had no problem passing on items that didn't look appetizing.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Transatlantic, I get off a UA flight hungry. On Delta it is never the case.
I got off of SFO-SIN extremely hungry, having eaten nothing of substance...
on SQ, in J.

In their defense, I had eaten dinner immediately before boarding, but their arrival meal was (a) unappetizing, personally, and (b) served about four hours prior to arrival, for some reason, at which point I was asleep.

I have no problem getting off of a flight hungry, because there are very few airports that won't sell me better food than I can get on an airplane.

Anyway, the question is whether or not someone should care about any of these things. The question is whether or not the flying public, en masse, will. The answer, up to this point, is clear: not if they raise the price of a ticket by a dollar. Furthermore, based upon further comments, it looks like exactly what I expected: DL is being given credit for its marketing spin in a way that UA never would. (I'm fine with UA not being given credit for marketing spin, BTW -- I just don't see why DL should immediately be taken at face value).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.