Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2015, 6:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

An era will/has ended on 25 Oct 2015 when p.s. Premium Service to SFO/LAX moves from JFK to EWR. So it is time to open a new thread on questions, experiences of EWR PS flights including the announced catering changes and the use of two PS aircraft configurations.

A couple of ground rules
- The existing http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ce-2015-a.html which covered the JFK flights will eventually be closed, once those flying the few remaining flights have had their chance to post. But for now JFK related flights should continue to be posted in the older thread.
- The always lively http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...25-2015-a.html will remain open for continued debates on why this change and whether it is a good idea. (Note this is another way of saying this topic area will be OT for this new thread -- let's keep the experiences and questions thread separate from the opinion/discussion thread on the change.)

Thanks
UA Moderation Team

Last edited by goalie; Oct 24, 2015 at 8:35 pm Reason: more links/fixed typo
Old Oct 23, 2015, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

An era will/has ended on 25 Oct 2015 when p.s. Premium Service to SFO/LAX moves from JFK to EWR. So it is time to open a new thread on questions, experiences of EWR PS flights including the announced catering changes and the use of two PS aircraft configurations.

A couple of ground rules
- The existing http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ce-2015-a.html which covered the JFK flights will eventually be closed, once those flying the few remaining flights have had their chance to post. But for now JFK related flights should continue to be posted in the older thread.
- The always lively http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...25-2015-a.html will remain open for continued debates on why this change and whether it is a good idea. (Note this is another way of saying this topic area will be OT for this new thread -- let's keep the experiences and questions thread separate from the opinion/discussion thread on the change.)

Thanks
UA Moderation Team
Old Oct 24, 2015, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat

Welcome home to EWR, p.s.

I know many are apprehensive, but I for one am happy to have you.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA GS, 1MM
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
Welcome home to EWR, p.s.

I know many are apprehensive, but I for one am happy to have you.
Agreed. I just noticed I'm on the first p.s. flight back to EWR tonight from LAX. It's the turnaround flight after UA 535. Hopefully they'll make it a happy occasion rather than a dirge for JFK - which part of me will miss as well.

Anyway, the temporary lounge here at LAX is... not good, but it's home for the next 5 hours.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 7:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Acastus
Anyway, the temporary lounge here at LAX is... not good, but it's home for the next 5 hours.
Five hours? Head thee to the *A lounge in TBIT!
Old Oct 24, 2015, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

Pre-2017 posts have been archived in

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 6, 2019 at 9:43 pm Reason: note
Old Oct 25, 2015, 9:37 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
United GFL dragons never miss the opportunity to piss off a customer

Last edited by porciuscato; Dec 3, 2015 at 2:35 pm
Old Oct 25, 2015, 9:49 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by porciuscato
I'm on one of the first p.s. flights from SFO-EWR tonight. I dropped by the Global First lounge (which the p.s.flight and GS status entitles me to).

The lounge dragon first attempted to deny me with "you're not on an international flight, you're flying to Newark." I pointed out that it was a p.s. flight. "Well they haven't put it into the system yet." Really long pause. I think maybe he was waiting for me to slink away.

But instead, I put on the "Truculent Glare" (TM). After a bit, he finally relented, saying "well you are Global Services," like he was doing me a favor.
And this surprises you how?
Old Oct 25, 2015, 9:59 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM

Last edited by porciuscato; Dec 3, 2015 at 2:35 pm
Old Oct 25, 2015, 10:03 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Given that this was a GS rep for whom I wrote an orchid letter only 3 or 4 months ago, it surprises me a great deal.

My philosophy for dealing with UAL has been to praise even the rare instances when service lives up to expectations. The hope is that the positive feedback will spur them to better service. I guess it's not working that well.
Maybe its time to write a hemlock letter for him now?
Old Oct 25, 2015, 10:30 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I'll be on EWR-LAX in BF next week. I'll report back on the experience.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 25, 2015 at 11:53 pm Reason: corrected airport error
Old Oct 25, 2015, 10:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Sorry if I missed this in the old post, but is there a logic to the way they are splitting the 16BF vs the 28BF planes? These are not the customers you want to piss off with a last minute swap.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 1:25 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
I'm on one of the first p.s. flights from SFO-EWR tonight. I dropped by the Global First lounge (which the p.s.flight and GS status entitles me to).

The lounge dragon first attempted to deny me with "you're not on an international flight, you're flying to Newark." I pointed out that it was a p.s. flight. "Well they haven't put it into the system yet." Really long pause. I think maybe he was waiting for me to slink away.

But instead, I put on the "Truculent Glare" (TM). After a bit, he finally relented, saying "well you are Global Services," like he was doing me a favor.
Ooh - you whipped out the TG (TM)? That's why the GST level is named in your honor...
Old Oct 26, 2015, 4:14 am

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM

At least there is some form of premium ground service at SFO, the same cannot be said for EWR.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 5:51 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by kevanyalowitz
At least there is some form of premium ground service at SFO, the same cannot be said for EWR.
No GFL at EWR (stay tuned) but there is a very nice Global Reception lobby to the left of the C-2 checkpoint.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.