Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2015, 3:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
There was a lot of speculation on here that moving ps to EWR would fail to attract paid J flyers like JFK. Your experience is anecdotal evidence that not only is that not the case, but even that EWR might be attracting more. No one on the upgrade list cleared on the two ps flights I took in November either.
I think much of the speculation (mine included) did not take into account the major reduction in capacity on the t-cons which would accompany the change.

Capacity on the SFO/LAX-NYC routes has been cut in the range of 30-40%, so it really should be no surprise that fares have risen and upgrades gotten more scarce. That's just basic economics and (IMO) has nothing to do with the appeal of the product.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 4:13 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by Kacee
I think much of the speculation (mine included) did not take into account the major reduction in capacity on the t-cons which would accompany the change.

Capacity on the SFO/LAX-NYC routes has been cut in the range of 30-40%, so it really should be no surprise that fares have risen and upgrades gotten more scarce. That's just basic economics and (IMO) has nothing to do with the appeal of the product.
Very good point. So where did UA shift that aircraft capacity to?
Old Dec 17, 2015, 4:25 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by physioprof
Very good point. So where did UA shift that aircraft capacity to?
Well they've been talking about upgrading RJ routes to mainline and this has certainly freed up a bunch of 739s and 319/320s to rotate elsewhere in the system.

One of things that's happening with the ps flights is UA will sell cheap J seats on connecting itineraries. For example, there's been a premium fare deal to SJU in the $1000 range which includes SFO/LAX-EWR in BF. Similarly, there's been a true P fare to Germany for around $3K which you can book with ps connecting segments. (Both of these are great for taking advantage of the ps bonus miles promotion.) I suspect that sales of paid discount J on the connecting traffic is a big contributor to the lack of availability of upgrades and discount fare availability on the t-con segments.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 4:38 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Well they've been talking about upgrading RJ routes to mainline and this has certainly freed up a bunch of 739s and 319/320s to rotate elsewhere in the system.

One of things that's happening with the ps flights is UA will sell cheap J seats on connecting itineraries. For example, there's been a premium fare deal to SJU in the $1000 range which includes SFO/LAX-EWR in BF. Similarly, there's been a true P fare to Germany for around $3K which you can book with ps connecting segments. (Both of these are great for taking advantage of the ps bonus miles promotion.) I suspect that sales of paid discount J on the connecting traffic is a big contributor to the lack of availability of upgrades and discount fare availability on the t-con segments.
Thanks for the info! Makes sense that they're filling PS BF seats like that, and so few are left for last-minute purely domestic transcon flyers.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 2:17 pm

United EWR to SFO ps in flight entertainment question

Do all of the 757-200 p.s. configured planes also have live TV? I haven't flown this route yet and really love the fact they have on demand options... I consider that to be one of the best perks.

However, this coming Sunday I am flying during Sunday night football and don't want to miss the game (broadcast on NBC). Will I be able to watch on the flight?
Old Dec 19, 2015, 2:20 pm

Nope no LiveTV on the 75B/75J aircraft tho occasionally the 75C is subbed on the PS routes which does have LiveTV.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 9:23 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Guessing it's a one-off, but I see a 777 (3-class) on an early morning p.s. SFO-EWR 10-APR (UA flt#577)

Found this because I'll be on my way back from OGG 9-APR, and was able to just swap my OGG-HNL-EWR (on a HA 717 / UA 767-400) to OGG-SFO-EWR (UA 757-300 / UA 777) with seats in First/Global First, as a saver award. Much later flight out of OGG, too. Buys me an entire day in Maui.

So, got kicked up to a GF seat *and* saved a bunch of miles. Can't beat that with a stick. Only downside was taking the 753 OGG-SFO instead of the 717/764 combo - but to save half the mileage and get a GF ride from SFO, I'll take it!

Not sure why the 777 instead of a 763 or another 752, but ... niceness certainly.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 9:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, NW forever
This seems to be true for a number of days in April: the 7:30 SFO-EWR is a 777, and the 16:45 EWR-SFO is a 777.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 9:43 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by dfreeman02
This seems to be true for a number of days in April: the 7:30 SFO-EWR is a 777, and the 16:45 EWR-SFO is a 777.
Also looks like some 777 love for LAX-EWR as well.

Good times - let's fill those GF seats while they last!
Old Jan 16, 2016, 9:45 am

Programs: Zero Status Nexus
Originally Posted by Samir Patel
Do all of the 757-200 p.s. configured planes also have live TV? I haven't flown this route yet and really love the fact they have on demand options... I consider that to be one of the best perks.

However, this coming Sunday I am flying during Sunday night football and don't want to miss the game (broadcast on NBC). Will I be able to watch on the flight?
I tried the GOGO wifi with the WatchESPN app on my tablet and couldnt watch the Alabama and Clemson game due to the streaming bandwidth issue. I really enjoy the Directv on the applicable UA planes.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by mtndave47
I tried the GOGO wifi with the WatchESPN app on my tablet and couldnt watch the Alabama and Clemson game due to the streaming bandwidth issue. I really enjoy the Directv on the applicable UA planes.
There is no way GoGo has sufficient bandwidth for streaming video. It can barely handle e-mail. Thank goodness UA blocks the video, you would freeze up everyone on the aircraft who's trying to use wifi.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 9:57 am

Programs: Zero Status Nexus
There is no way GoGo has sufficient bandwidth for streaming video. It can barely handle e-mail. Thank goodness UA blocks the video, you would freeze up everyone on the aircraft who's trying to use wifi.
Didnt realize it was that slow, however I used the Gamecast, which gives an automatic written update on the plays and it worked ok. Yeah, good thing UA restricts video streaming. Also good movie selections with subtitles on the P.S. flights.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 9:58 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I would definitely not be opposed to more upgauges on the p.s. routes. Hopefully it becomes a bit more frequent, although I imagine this is probably being done more for airplane positioning than anything...?
Old Jan 16, 2016, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by mtndave47
Didnt realize it was that slow, however I used the Gamecast, which gives an automatic written update on the plays and it worked ok. Yeah, good thing UA restricts video streaming.
B6 claims that its new "Fly-Fi Plus" has sufficient bandwidth for pax to stream video.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 11:53 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
The 4:45pm flight EWR-SFO on April 13th as well*

*and my folks are on the 2:30pm flight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.