Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United? {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United? {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
EC 261/2004 delay compensation is not due from AC. The MAX was grounded by government (EU) order and that is a sufficient "extraordinary circumstance" as one need not analyze what AC could have done (short of, perhaps, bribing the EASA not to issue its order.).
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
EC 261/2004 delay compensation is not due from AC. The MAX was grounded by government (EU) order and that is a sufficient "extraordinary circumstance" as one need not analyze what AC could have done (short of, perhaps, bribing the EASA not to issue its order.).
Guess they could have selected Airbus over Boeing!
Old Mar 24, 2019, 1:31 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards, UA Mileage Plus, Hilton Gold
I had a recent experience with United's customer service regarding a EU Regulation 261/2004 claim. We flew AMS-IAD-LAX and arrived on time. After a plane change and 2h20 wait we were supposed to fly to LAX but due to technical issues they had to fly in a new plane. We departed IAD 5 hours later than scheduled and arrived at 1am at LAX. Upon arrival we saw we got a ETC token of appreciation for $100 for a 5 hour delay via email.

When we got back home we filed a compensation claim for 600 euros each under EU Regulation 261/2004. That was rejected at least 6 times within 24 hours by the same employee. She rejected the claim because United is a non-EU carrier and the delay occurred in the US. I substantiated multiple times with the right EU Court of Justice judgments but she wouldn't admit. She gave us, without asking, a ETC of $150 for the delay. I was not allowed to have my claim forwarded to a supervisor. I ended up writing a complaint to the head of customer services. She passed on my claim to, guess what, the same employee who previously turned down my claim 6 times. It's a prime example where a customer service employee does not have the legal knowledge of EU CoJ judgments and how to interpret them.

I filed a complaint with the Dutch Inspectorate who passed on my complaint to United and we got a notice from United two week later that they would pay out 1200 euros for us. We were asked to provice payment details and a week later the money was in our account. The Dutch Inspectorate justified our complaint.

I'm reading conflicting messages, but I can't redeem the two ETC's in a single payment for a flight right?
Old Mar 24, 2019, 2:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Division
... I'm reading conflicting messages, but I can't redeem the two ETC's in a single payment for a flight right?
Once the ETCs have been combined you can than use them for a single flight, more in the wiki of https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ty-policy.html
Old Mar 24, 2019, 4:23 pm

I had a recent experience with United's customer service regarding a EU Regulation 261/2004 claim. We flew AMS-IAD-LAX and arrived on time. After a plane change and 2h20 wait we were supposed to fly to LAX but due to technical issues they had to fly in a new plane. We departed IAD 5 hours later than scheduled and arrived at 1am at LAX. Upon arrival we saw we got a ETC token of appreciation for $100 for a 5 hour delay via email.

When we got back home we filed a compensation claim for 600 euros each under EU Regulation 261/2004. That was rejected at least 6 times within 24 hours by the same employee. She rejected the claim because United is a non-EU carrier and the delay occurred in the US. I substantiated multiple times with the right EU Court of Justice judgments but she wouldn't admit. She gave us, without asking, a ETC of $150 for the delay. I was not allowed to have my claim forwarded to a supervisor. I ended up writing a complaint to the head of customer services. She passed on my claim to, guess what, the same employee who previously turned down my claim 6 times. It's a prime example where a customer service employee does not have the legal knowledge of EU CoJ judgments and how to interpret them.

I filed a complaint with the Dutch Inspectorate who passed on my complaint to United and we got a notice from United two week later that they would pay out 1200 euros for us. We were asked to provice payment details and a week later the money was in our account. The Dutch Inspectorate justified our complaint.

I'm reading conflicting messages, but I can't redeem the two ETC's in a single payment for a flight right?
That is good news .
What is the Dutch Inspectorate ?
Old Mar 25, 2019, 3:35 am

It's similar as the Civil Aviation Authority in the UK, a governmental body that oversees aviation.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
It's similar as the Civil Aviation Authority in the UK, a governmental body that oversees aviation.
You should send that to the CAA, they could do with a reminder!
Old Mar 25, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
I had a recent experience with United's customer service.....When we got back home we filed a compensation claim for 600 euros each under EU Regulation 261/2004. That was rejected at least 6 times within 24 hours by the same employee.... I ended up writing a complaint to the head of customer services. She passed on my claim to, guess what, the same employee who previously turned down my claim 6 times. It's a prime example where a customer service employee does not have the legal knowledge of EU CoJ judgments and how to interpret them.

I filed a complaint with the Dutch Inspectorate who passed on my complaint to United and we got a notice from United two week later that they would pay out 1200 euros for us....
I am glad you received the correct compensation and I hope the Head of CS is reprimanded. Seriously if you send the same thing to the same person six times with the same result what makes them think the seventh would be any different? Shocking CS.

You are probably like me and only involve government agencies when there is no other option.

Not representing United in the best way with this situation .
Old Mar 25, 2019, 10:54 am

Regulators could solve this problem by including actual penalty provisions for failing to pay proper compensation within prescribed timelines. At the moment there is no incentive -- except possibly frowning customers -- for United not to just reject all EC261 comp and wait for complaint from the government or a lawsuit to be filed, then pay promptly.

If the EU wanted to actually get airlines to comply promptly, they could have just said the airline has to pay triple if not paid within 60 days of receiving a valid claim. Or if you want to avoid pax gaming the system, just a $1,000 fine for any rejected claims later sustained by a government regulator or lawsuit.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by threeoh
Regulators could solve this problem by including actual penalty provisions for failing to pay proper compensation within prescribed timelines. At the moment there is no incentive -- except possibly frowning customers -- for United not to just reject all EC261 comp and wait for complaint from the government or a lawsuit to be filed, then pay promptly.

If the EU wanted to actually get airlines to comply promptly, they could have just said the airline has to pay triple if not paid within 60 days of receiving a valid claim. Or if you want to avoid pax gaming the system, just a $1,000 fine for any rejected claims later sustained by a government regulator or lawsuit.
Or if they're really trying to protect the consumer, they should make it an extra 30% going to law firms/agents if pax gets rejected the first time and then seek help from these entities.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I am glad you received the correct compensation and I hope the Head of CS is reprimanded. Seriously if you send the same thing to the same person six times with the same result what makes them think the seventh would be any different? Shocking CS.

You are probably like me and only involve government agencies when there is no other option.

Not representing United in the best way with this situation .
I strongly believe United trains it customer service staff to deny such claims on the simple reason "non-EU airline so the Regulation is not applicable". Staff has no clue what EU judgements mean. Maybe I was unlucky with this employee, but I don't believe she ever read the 3 judgments I had sent along.

The option of going to an agency here in The Netherlands that would start a legal procedure again United has always been my last option. They work on no-cure-no-pay and start by sending out a letter. In case of success and United decides to pay straight after that letter, I'm losing 200 euros out of 600 euros. So I'm being penalized 30% just to get my right. The right route here in The Netherlands is as following:

1) file a complaint/compensation claim with the airline yourself
2) proceed to the European Consumer Center (government body that negotiates for free on your behalf)
3) proceed to the Dutch Inspectorate (governmental body that oversees aviation)
4) proceed to a commercial agency that costs you 30% legal fees

At the time I didn't know the ECC negotiates for consumers in airline compensation claims so I went straight on to step 3.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
I was on UA 41 today, FCO-EWR. Just prior to pushback, we were advised that everyone had to deplane and go through security again, while our aircraft was inspected. We were told the delay would be about 1 hr (nice try with a Full 767). Back at the gate we were now advised the delay would be 173 minutes, a bit later that changed to 243 minutes and then finally we were told boarding would begin. But it was then announced that the flight was to be cancelled, all passengers were to spend the night at the Airport Hilton, and we’d be rebooked on the new flight the next day. Some of use received a piece of paper with the EC 261 rules and info given out br UA staffers. Almost immediately we all got a We’re Sorry msg from UA with a link to Customer Cares. What they offered was a choice of a $200 travel cert or 10,000 UA miles. I assume this is UA’s initial offer.? Last time a similar situation occurred UA finally offered a 900 travel cert or 27,500 miles. I was not going to accept this first offer but write to them and explain the distress's/ hardship caused by this cancellation and hope for a higher offer.
Any thoughts?
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by mauld
I was on UA 41 today, FCO-EWR. Just prior to pushback, we were advised that everyone had to deplane and go through security again, while our aircraft was inspected. We were told the delay would be about 1 hr (nice try with a Full 767). Back at the gate we were now advised the delay would be 173 minutes, a bit later that changed to 243 minutes and then finally we were told boarding would begin. But it was then announced that the flight was to be cancelled, all passengers were to spend the night at the Airport Hilton, and we’d be rebooked on the new flight the next day. Some of use received a piece of paper with the EC 261 rules and info given out br UA staffers. Almost immediately we all got a We’re Sorry msg from UA with a link to Customer Cares. What they offered was a choice of a $200 travel cert or 10,000 UA miles. I assume this is UA’s initial offer.? Last time a similar situation occurred UA finally offered a 900 travel cert or 27,500 miles. I was not going to accept this first offer but write to them and explain the distress's/ hardship caused by this cancellation and hope for a higher offer.
Any thoughts?
The $200 or 10,000 miles is a customer service gesture. I would take that immediately. Then file your EC 261 request with United via the customer service link. That’s how I did it and achieved both. I actually receive $300 as the customer service gesture for an overnight cancellation then $900 in UA ECERT inlieu of the €600
Old Mar 27, 2019, 11:15 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I strongly believe United trains it customer service staff to deny such claims on the simple reason "non-EU airline so the Regulation is not applicable". Staff has no clue what EU judgements mean. Maybe I was unlucky with this employee, but I don't believe she ever read the 3 judgments I had sent along.
I would really doubt any CS agent for UA would read any EU judgments, they aren't attorneys or qualified to interpret those anyway - my opinion, the agents are trained to take a very narrow view of the EU regulations and by default deny everything else. That seems to be the pattern of all the US airlines - and why not, nothing punitive seems to come out of the denials.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
In this case, as Kacee says, you have no claim at all with UA as only the operating carrier matters. Take your claim to AC, but I expect you'll have an uphill battle.
UA customer service tossed me 35k miles. Woohoo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.