Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United? {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Practices for Filing EU 261 Claims Against United? {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2015, 7:04 pm

Programs: MP(1K) Million Miler, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Jyrsa
A happy update on this. After a few emails and snail mail replies from United I concluded that that bird wasn't going to fly so I complained to the CAA. They told me they interpret the case so that I should be compensated but UA claimed EU261 didn't apply and that they can't enforce their rulings.

I ended up using Bott & Co to sue in the UK small claims court and I just received confirmation that UA have agreed to settle and that our compensation less their fees is on the way to my account. The fees ended up being roughly 1/3 of the compensation amount (plus any accrued interest but that's likely to be low anyway). They charge 27% + 50€/person to pursue these claims now.

So scratch one for the delay being counted at the final destination (HNL in our case) if the delayed leg left from EU.
I have a claim for two passengers for a ZRH-EWR six hour delay. Bott will not assist me as it is not a UK claim. Does anyone know of a Swiss law firm that handles these things?
Old May 23, 2015, 11:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
OK this is a lot of work, however well worth it for 600e
Old May 24, 2015, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by TheCount2
I have a claim for two passengers for a ZRH-EWR six hour delay. Bott will not assist me as it is not a UK claim. Does anyone know of a Swiss law firm that handles these things?
what have you tried so far? Some firms won't take certain cases.
Old May 24, 2015, 3:58 pm

Programs: MP(1K) Million Miler, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by cfischer
what have you tried so far? Some firms won't take certain cases.
I have searched to find a firm that will take such a case. The only such firms I have found work only in the UK. However my next step will be to post the same question on the Swiss Airlines forum to see if I can get some assistance.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 11:38 am

Denied eu261

In may 2015 I has was coming g back from MIL. When I got to the airport I was told the flight will love with an hour delay and that I will loose my connection flight from EWR to IAD. I was rebooked and routed to another airport. Long story short the fly from EWR was delayed too (due to mechanical problems- we had to wait for another plane to replace it) and I ended up in DC with a delay of almost 6 hours.
In the answer I received from United it says that because the flight from MIL was delayed only 55 min my requested it's denied. They say that's what article 6.1.c states.
Am I wrong to claim that because I got to my final destination (actually another airport but I the same city) the eu261 should apply?
Old Jun 19, 2015, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Welcome to Flyertalk!

Do you mean MXP (Milan Malpensa)?

You should fight this -- seems to me your delay qualifies.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 11:52 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
2. When passengers are offered re-routing to their final destination on an alternative flight pursuant to Article 8, the arrival time
of which does not exceed the scheduled arrival time of the flight originally booked
(a) by two hours, in respect of all flights of 1500 kilometres or less; or
(b) by three hours, in respect of all intra-Community flights of more than 1500 kilometres and for all other flights between 1500
and 3500 kilometres; or
(c) by four hours, in respect of all flights not falling under (a) or (b),

http://ec.europa.eu/transport/themes...g_2004_261.pdf

As I see it, you arrived at your final destination (key wording in the statute) 4+ hours late so UA is full of hot air.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Welcome to Flyertalk!

I'm not sure.

There seem to be two separate delays here. The piece of information we don't have is how delayed was your scheduled arrival at DCA after the rebooking. If within the limits you don't qualify under that.

I suspect UA is saying that the delay of your 2nd flight - which resulted in the 6 hour arrival delay - was a separate event, unrelated to the delay/rebooking at MXP.

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Welcome to Flyertalk!

I agree. Your next step is to appeal to the Italian agency charged with enforcing this regulation. I had a friend who did this (through the Spanish enforcement regulator) and once the regulator got involved, payment was delivered within one week.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by milepig
I'm not sure.

There seem to be two separate delays here. The piece of information we don't have is how delayed was your scheduled arrival at DCA after the rebooking. If within the limits you don't qualify under that.

I suspect UA is saying that the delay of your 2nd flight - which resulted in the 6 hour arrival delay - was a separate event, unrelated to the delay/rebooking at MXP.
UA can say that all they want, but it's not a separate event because OP wouldn't have been on that flight anyway if original EU flight hadn't delayed. The EU delayed caused a snowball effect. Hence why the statute working very specifically states "final destination".

Last edited by Cargojon; Jun 19, 2015 at 12:10 pm
Old Jun 19, 2015, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by whatever809
Well they are right since Reg 261/04 only applies to itineraries originating in the EU and Geneva isn't.
Wrong. Applies to EU and Norway, Iceland and Switzerland.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 1:10 pm

First thank you all for your replies.
Yes, my flight was form MXP. My original final destination arrival time was 4:41 pm and the actual arrival time was 10:28 pm. So over 5 hours and a half delay.
I won't go into how bad they treated everybody in Newark and how they didn't care I was stuck for 8 hours in the airport with a 3 year old. And yes, I claimed the eu261 for both of us.
What they claim is that all that counts is the delay to US not to the final destination.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 3:12 pm

I wrote United back and to my surprise they got back to me in less than an hour... But just to deny my claim again this time saying that the mechanical problem was a case of force majeure
Old Jun 19, 2015, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by Uaflight
I wrote United back and to my surprise they got back to me in less than an hour... But just to deny my claim again this time saying that the mechanical problem was a case of force majeure
Wow. Whoever answered that was obviously not well versed in the definition of force majeure. That's a new low.

Force majeure = earthquake at the airport. 9/11. volcano erupting in Iceland.

Not a mechanical.

Good Lord

There's a few good links in this article http://thepointsguy.com/2014/02/how-...layed-flights/
Old Jun 19, 2015, 7:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Cargojon
Whoever answered that was obviously not well versed in the definition of force majeure. That's a new low.
Unless they're claiming a lightning strike or something similar.

Originally Posted by Cargojon
Force majeure = earthquake at the airport. 9/11. volcano erupting in Iceland.
I don't believe 9/11 would qualify.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.