Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General questions: SFO/LAX-SYD/MEL and vv (service, food, connections, etc) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

General questions: SFO/LAX-SYD/MEL and vv (service, food, connections, etc) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2010, 12:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP, WN A-List+ UA Silver, HH <>, National EE, WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by GimmeLegRoom
Shhh!!! It's our little west coast secret!
Should I delete my post?

"What I meant to say is: Dear OP - suck it up and fly Qantas. Can't beat that safety record!"
Old Jun 24, 2010, 10:12 pm

Programs: UA-2P .94 MM, AF-S, AA Beggars Class .6 , DL .18, LH-Bier, HH-Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by flyinbob
The problem is UA is trying to have the best of both worlds. Be a high-priced carrier while offering low priced amenities. You can't offer C and F product at outrageous prices, especially internationally, and then offer Southwest style food and Aeroflot style service. I've taken much of my international service this year to other carriers myself, usually at lower prices and MUCH better service. UA has to decide what it wants to be.
I am waiting for UA-CO to merge with Walmart. At least I can use my FF miles for more things
Old Jun 24, 2010, 10:43 pm

Programs: UA*G, *wood Gold, Hyatt Pl, IC plat.RA.
Originally Posted by flyinbob
The problem is UA is trying to have the best of both worlds. Be a high-priced carrier while offering low priced amenities. You can't offer C and F product at outrageous prices, especially internationally, and then offer Southwest style food and Aeroflot style service. I've taken much of my international service this year to other carriers myself, usually at lower prices and MUCH better service. UA has to decide what it wants to be.
thanks that really how I feel, They cant have a $500 economy and a $5,000 business class on the same plane and then half the Business cabin is just FF's getting upgrades. How do they expect people to pay for those seats. or is it for the half a dozen suckers a flight they convince to pay those prices, are they subsidising the other 50 odd upgrades

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
I actually don't think the grass is greener on another carrier. But if you were to sample, I think Air NZ makes the most sense.

* wikipedia says Air NZ contracts with EVA lounge in SFO, a possible alternative.
thanks your advice is useful. I like the idea of using other lounges. too. but it really is a sad state when united's lounges are not being used by united's passengers.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 25, 2010 at 1:18 pm Reason: merge
Old Jun 26, 2010, 3:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, DJ, QF, SQ, SPG.
Originally Posted by uaflyer64
I am waiting for UA-CO to merge with Walmart. At least I can use my FF miles for more things
LOL!think of the possibilities- do you they will sell airplanes?
Old Jun 26, 2010, 5:10 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by Bluehen1
On six or seven R/Ts to SYD/MEL, I have yet to see a single opup. I've gone at all times of the year and business is usually full but coach has open seats.
I can attest that it does happen . Myself and Mini DG have received 3 op-ups each, 2 SYD LAX and 1 SFO SYD ^. The most recent two were in July 2009. I have not flown UA this year so I cant comment but I believe this year is a lot tougher all round - even with getting SWUs to clear.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 7:18 pm

Programs: United Miledge Plus
MEL-SYD-LAX Flight 840

United 840 from Melbourne changes planes in Sydney then on to LAX.
Just trying to determine any time consuming steps in the trip, so my questions are:
1) Is all the customs stuff taken care of in Melbourne?
2) In Sydney, do I just stay in the International Terminal with no more customs or passport checks before boarding for flight to LAX?
Old Jul 13, 2010, 2:08 pm

Programs: Ozark Go-Getters Gold, Statler Star Silver, others from a variety of alternate timelines
Welcome to FlyerTalk! The answer to both your questions is yes.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 12:14 pm

Ual 839 lax-syd-mel - Is it possible to have a shower during the layover in SYD?

Traveling this route in late July and have a question. I see from other posts that you don't clear customs/immigration until you get to MEL. Is it possible to have a shower during the layover in SYD?

Thank you

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 14, 2010 at 12:27 pm Reason: thread title too vague
Old Jul 14, 2010, 12:20 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Mrskenny
Traveling this route in late July and have a question. I see from other posts that you don't clear customs/immigration until you get to MEL. Is it possible to have a shower during the layover in SYD?

Thank you
Absolutely, if there's enough time and you have access to one of the lounges with shower facilities.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 12:35 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Mrskenny

Thank you
In SYD, UA premium passengers and equivalent make use of the Air NZ lounge (where the famous Annie is located!). Showers are good, food isn't bad either.

Wont be a huge layover, so you need to make haste.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 12:43 pm

Thanks eightblack. Have to get a seat near the front of the aircraft
Old Jul 14, 2010, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
My wife and I flew this route early this year. IIRC, we did have a bit of time to spare in the nice Air NZ lounge. But don't dawdle within the airport. Though you don't clear customs/immigration, you do go through security before getting to the lounge, and the day we traveled there was an extremely long line for that connection (from what I guess was the international to domestic terminals).

Also, as another thread somewhere in this forum has noted, even though you're simply getting back on the same plane, when you get off it in SYD it can be confusing sorting out where to go. Make sure to ask a UA ground staff there for directions if you're going on to MEL. Even forewarned of this problem (and granted that the two of us have lousy senses of direction!), we headed off in the wrong direction before we found a UA person who pointed us the right way (to that very long security line, which is yet another reason to know where you're going).

Anyway, have a great trip!
Old Jul 14, 2010, 1:04 pm

Thanks Thunderroad. Good advice.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DJ, QF, SQ, SPG.
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
My wife and I flew this route early this year. IIRC, we did have a bit of time to spare in the nice Air NZ lounge. But don't dawdle within the airport. Though you don't clear customs/immigration, you do go through security before getting to the lounge, and the day we traveled there was an extremely long line for that connection (from what I guess was the international to domestic terminals).

Also, as another thread somewhere in this forum has noted, even though you're simply getting back on the same plane, when you get off it in SYD it can be confusing sorting out where to go. Make sure to ask a UA ground staff there for directions if you're going on to MEL. Even forewarned of this problem (and granted that the two of us have lousy senses of direction!), we headed off in the wrong direction before we found a UA person who pointed us the right way (to that very long security line, which is yet another reason to know where you're going).

Anyway, have a great trip!
funny you say that- i dont think its you having a bad sense of direction- i'v always found the gate they re-board syd-mel is almost 'hidden'. I almost always walk past it!
if it helps the op, if you come down the lift,(from the NZ lounge) you make a left and another left and its on your right hand side. lol- after reading that i understand why i get lost!!
Old Jul 14, 2010, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat.
Should have time

I do not recall having to go through customs when stopping in SYD going on to MEL. Once you exit the plane you take a right where the sign indicates transient or connecting flights, go up to the excellent NZ lounge (best of the SA lounges at the airport). Once you show the representative your boarding card and they sign you in; the showers are to your left near the restrooms. Unless you are a slow shower taker, you will have time to shower, grab a coffee and make your connection to MEL.

The showers have all the basics like towels, soap and shampoo dispensers. I STRONGLY recommend that you bring shower shoes unless you do not mind walking where others have gone before; if you get my drift!!

Last edited by flywithmjt; Jul 14, 2010 at 7:03 pm Reason: Additional thought

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.