Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General questions: SFO/LAX-SYD/MEL and vv (service, food, connections, etc) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

General questions: SFO/LAX-SYD/MEL and vv (service, food, connections, etc) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2010, 2:29 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Amex Plat, Priority Pass, Hertz Gl, SPG Gold Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
connecting in SYD to NZ ALK flight

I am connecting to an Air New Zealand flight to Auckland from SYD, coming off UA839 from LAX; I have about two hours to make the connection; is that enough? Do I change terminals and can I be treated as a through passenger or do I have to go through Australian immigration/customs?

thanks for info
Old Oct 11, 2010, 2:47 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1P MM
I'll be doing the same in November. If both flights are on the same ticket, you have no problems. Same terminal, no customs. If you are on separate tix (like me - paid SFO-SYD, award SYD-AKL) you are also OK. That is unless you checked bags, in which case, you will have to claim and re-check, but you should be fine either way.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 2:51 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Amex Plat, Priority Pass, Hertz Gl, SPG Gold Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by maver
I'll be doing the same in November. If both flights are on the same ticket, you have no problems. Same terminal, no customs. If you are on separate tix (like me - paid SFO-SYD, award SYD-AKL) you are also OK. That is unless you checked bags, in which case, you will have to claim and re-check, but you should be fine either way.
I am doing LAX-SYD RT with a nested roundtrip to ROT (via AKL); but the tickets should be issued together, and no checked bags.

sounds like I am in reasonable shape, thanks
Old Oct 11, 2010, 2:53 pm

Yeah, you're fine - a through passenger. If you don't get your ANZ BP prior to leaving LAX, get it at the Koru club in SYD.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
I do SFO-SYD and onward to NZ 5 times a year. Go to Transfer Desk and they issue NZ BP. Takes 5 minutes. They also cfrm yr luggage tags to ensure transfer.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 4:05 pm

Let me get this straight: lets say I fly into SYD on Ticket A and on to NZ on ticket B. Will the transfer desk see to it that my bags get to NZ, or do I need to claim them in SYD and recheck? My bags (on ticket A) would only be checked as far as SYD.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, Life UC, Global Entry (UK citizen)
Question UA: SFO-SYD......All/None/Some flights Flat-Bed seat in Business Class?

Tried to find out if all UA planes SFO-SYD Business Class seats are Flat-bed. UA agent was uncommital..........Anyone know the true situation as of NOW?
Old Oct 11, 2010, 6:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
They should all be new config. There's one old config plane flying, but it's primarily flying domestic and only used on other routes when there's a shortage. Thus far, is hasn't made it to SYD.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 7:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K(0.7MM) Hilton Gold/La Quinta Gold
Originally Posted by EMan
Tried to find out if all UA planes SFO-SYD Business Class seats are Flat-bed. UA agent was uncommital..........Anyone know the true situation as of NOW?
All Aircraft to SYD are new config
Old Oct 11, 2010, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
The chance of getting the old plane is very low. Enjoy the trip!
Old Oct 12, 2010, 9:36 am

parents are flying from MEL-SYD-LAX on UA840 and the connect to US to CLT-ATL. have about 1hr connection time from LAX to CLT. parents are permanent resident so hopefully line is short, is the transit time enough? they have to recheck the luggage after custom. is UA840 on T7 or T8? US1687 is at T8 if not mistaken, so should be fine hopefully. any comments?
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:22 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
I don't think that one hour is enough to connect UA to US at LAX. US is in Terminal 1, not Terminal 8.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA MMGold, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by sparkzone
parents are flying from MEL-SYD-LAX on UA840 and the connect to US to CLT-ATL. have about 1hr connection time from LAX to CLT. parents are permanent resident so hopefully line is short, is the transit time enough?
I rarely return home via LAX so limited samples, but my experience so far tells me that I need at least 1 1/2 hours for international to domestic connection at LAX and I don't have check luggage to claim and redeposit, etc.

The LAX transfer experience I had so far was landed at Tom Bradley International terminal and then bus or walk to UA domestic. I recall I was once on a UA FRA-LAX flight and landed remotely and then was bus'ed into Tom Bradley so took extra more time...

Check out this thread (may be there are more related discussions) on this topic, there are more experienced folks may offer more info:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-merged.html
Old Oct 12, 2010, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ExPlat,EX-UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat,
parents are flying from MEL-SYD-LAX on UA840 and the connect to US to CLT-ATL. have about 1hr connection time from LAX to CLT. parents are permanent resident so hopefully line is short, is the transit time enough? they have to recheck the luggage after custom. is UA840 on T7 or T8? US1687 is at T8 if not mistaken, so should be fine hopefully. any comments?
I will not do that to your parents, that is very tight connection, please arrange for later flight, they will be so tired and so stress out after landed, and worst yet, if the flight delay it will cost them more headache.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 1:29 am

Programs: UA 1K >2MM, IC Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Can't be done. At that time of mid-morning, TSA problems at LAX make anything with a re-screen impossible with less that 90 minutes, and even that's tough.

Even the continuation of UA840 to ORD is broken currently, although I'm informed UA is aware of the problem and has moved to correct it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.