Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

General questions: SFO/LAX-SYD/MEL and vv (service, food, connections, etc) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

General questions: SFO/LAX-SYD/MEL and vv (service, food, connections, etc) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2010, 4:03 am

Programs: UA*G, *wood Gold, Hyatt Pl, IC plat.RA.
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
What was the "one cost cut too far"?

Any of the above. 1 drink maximum in a lounge, say starters.

By the way, given your criteria, only Air NZ seems like a logical option. You still accrue miles that can be used with Star Alliance, and aren't flying way out of your way to get where you want to go.

Yes Air NZ does seem like a way to go plus they have premium economy which is where i seem to fit $'wise.

Originally Posted by flyingstudent
I'd stick with United Mileage Plus and fly ANZ or AC. AC's hard product is pretty good (both J and Y seats). You can then have UA as back up when you really want a nonstop or the others are too expensive. UA miles can be used on *A which I find to be pretty easy to redeem if you plan ahead.

I won't jump ship to DL or Qantas. There's a reason DL miles are called peosos, and Qantas's FF program award charts are not competitive to the US FF programs.
I see your point. It's always the damn miles. they seem to count for about 20-30% of the value of the UA tickets.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 24, 2010 at 7:10 am Reason: multi-quote
Old Jun 24, 2010, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by jcbranch
The left of field option is Virgin Australia. I'm dearly hoping they announce some global partnership soon with Virgin atlantic....
V Australia & Virgin Atlantic announce Frequent Flyer partnership

Thursday, July 09, 2009

http://www.etravelblackboard.com/sho...e.asp?id=94453

Virgin Atlantic is also partnered with a number of airlines including Singapore, Malaysian, Air NZ, US Air.

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/en/au...ines/index.jsp
Old Jun 24, 2010, 7:14 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I'm confused where the cost cut was - these have been practices for as long as I can remember.

On the plus side for me, one less person to compete against for an upgrade
Old Jun 24, 2010, 7:25 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
If you aren't a 1k flier which it seems you aren't, then you can't take advantage of W fare and SWU's to get to Business class. If you aren't going to be a 1k then your options open up in terms of who you fly, but leads to who to credit to as others have said.

I know even Hawaiian airlines flies to SYD via HNL, however you are giving up EQM's somewhere.

I have liked AZ whenever I have flown them which has been 4x's. I wasn't even in premium economy. I don't know much about their FFP, but you can credit to UA obviously. The little jaunt to Aukland is a small price to pay if you really have had it with UA.

Take your spend wherever you feel is best and in a year report back.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 7:29 am

Programs: UA-2P .94 MM, AF-S, AA Beggars Class .6 , DL .18, LH-Bier, HH-Gold, Hertz 5*
I can understand about skimpy service. Food definitely means something in Business and First

LAX Red Carpet Club asked me if i wanted to renew, I sorta laughed and said I don't live in the USA :P RCC is in general not so good. ( slight exception maybe SFO and NRT)

Only things I like about Delta is the large cups and the online award booking.
Alitalia has the best Coffee, but the planes have lots of corrosion.
I like the BMI lounge for the free drinks and friendly staff

My Choice would be Virgin, then AZ.
For service, I prefer Singapore Airlines over the Pacific.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 7:34 am

If you fly DL you could easily reach Gold on even with the economy fare. If they complete their tie up with V Australia it may mean that V Australia flies to SFO and DL keeps the LAX route.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 8:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Just my $0.02....

I would try to fly on some of the other *A carriers before you totally abandon UA. See if the grass is greener...

Then maybe expand your horizions to the other carriers.

Personally, I think lounge and catering issues are not enough to get me to move to another carrier (especially considering UA hasn't been good at those for several years).
Old Jun 24, 2010, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
The problem is UA is trying to have the best of both worlds. Be a high-priced carrier while offering low priced amenities. You can't offer C and F product at outrageous prices, especially internationally, and then offer Southwest style food and Aeroflot style service. I've taken much of my international service this year to other carriers myself, usually at lower prices and MUCH better service. UA has to decide what it wants to be.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 10:06 am

Programs: Delta DM, HH D, Starwood Plat, Hertz PC
Delta online award booking? You really should go to the Delta area of FT and read what people are saying over there about award booking. I haven't had problems when I book early, but you cant even look at partner airlines online. Very hard to find low level awards.

Originally Posted by uaflyer64
I can understand about skimpy service. Food definitely means something in Business and First

LAX Red Carpet Club asked me if i wanted to renew, I sorta laughed and said I don't live in the USA :P RCC is in general not so good. ( slight exception maybe SFO and NRT)

Only things I like about Delta is the large cups and the online award booking.
Alitalia has the best Coffee, but the planes have lots of corrosion.
I like the BMI lounge for the free drinks and friendly staff

My Choice would be Virgin, then AZ.
For service, I prefer Singapore Airlines over the Pacific.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 10:43 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold (1MM), AS MVP
I would be as upset as anyone to see a cabin full of op-ups if I'd paid full-fare. But given reports in the SWU success/failure threads, sounds like it doesn't happen much on this route.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 11:00 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
Originally Posted by GimmeLegRoom
I would be as upset as anyone to see a cabin full of op-ups if I'd paid full-fare. But given reports in the SWU success/failure threads, sounds like it doesn't happen much on this route.
On six or seven R/Ts to SYD/MEL, I have yet to see a single opup. I've gone at all times of the year and business is usually full but coach has open seats.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 11:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jcbranch
Yes Air NZ does seem like a way to go plus they have premium economy which is where i seem to fit $'wise.
Regarding the 1 drink thing in the Red Carpet Club - you can look into using another *A club at SFO. What I'm really saying is even if you fly Air NZ out of SFO, you're likely going to be using the UA lounge there*. So while it is an issue, it is not one that is solved by switching carriers necessarily.

I see your point. It's always the damn miles. they seem to count for about 20-30% of the value of the UA tickets.
Mileage Plus is why most of us fly United. That, SWUs (ability to upgrade), and the fallback option of E+ are probably considered the 3 most important aspects in choosing to fly United.

I actually don't think the grass is greener on another carrier. But if you were to sample, I think Air NZ makes the most sense.

* wikipedia says Air NZ contracts with EVA lounge in SFO, a possible alternative.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 11:09 am

Programs: AS MVP, WN A-List+ UA Silver, HH <>, National EE, WoH Globalist
If the miles are really important to you, I'd try DL LAX-SYD and credit the miles to a Sky Team program that suits you...

Last edited by flyinryan; Jun 24, 2010 at 1:26 pm
Old Jun 24, 2010, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by Bluehen1
On six or seven R/Ts to SYD/MEL, I have yet to see a single opup. I've gone at all times of the year and business is usually full but coach has open seats.
I have been witness to several of them, so they aren't impossible - tho I suspect that with the increase in biz travel we're seeing now they may not be anywhere near as plentiful.

Dave
Old Jun 24, 2010, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold (1MM), AS MVP
Originally Posted by flyinryan
If the miles are really important to you, I'd try DL LAX-SYD and credit the miles to AS. I don't know what you wish to do with your miles, but it's easy to get and maintain status on AS, upgrades are very good on AS metal, and the reciprocal upgrades on DL are on the way. I like using miles to fly to Hawaii, so AS works very well for me, I credit all my AA and DL flights to it. ^
Shhh!!! It's our little west coast secret!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.