Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Club membership now $650 effective 8/13/19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Club membership now $650 effective 8/13/19

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Kacee
Those who fly out of SFO know the UC food options at UA's so-called "crown jewel" are just pathetic.
With the new Priority Pass food options at SFO, I doubt I'll ever set foot in the UC again (except possibly for irrops).
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Gig103
nor is it confirmed the CC will go up. Maybe this United makes enough sharing revenue with Chase to keep that at the current annual fee - I'm pretty sure that happened with AA and Citi (or maybe it was that Citi allows multiple free cardholders vs. a family account).
Not holding my breath on that one. Every month UA rolls out news that keeps pushing me away from them. I don't get it. I have held the United Chase Club Card for years but IF it goes to $650 that a bit of a breaking point for me. AS seems to actually want my business, isn't that a novel idea.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by spin88
What a joke. I have an Amex PLT card, SO has one too, the AMEX lounges are far, far, far better than UA's lounges, are in most of the airports I frequently, and as long as I fly AS or DL, I can use my AMEX card to access the lounges on them (or internationally) as well. Costs me $550 x2, and I get a great credit card to boot. @:-)
Speaking from experience, The Centurion Lounge at SFO is practically not usable - I've never been there when it isn't standing room or practically standing room.....
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:13 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
With the new Priority Pass food options at SFO, I doubt I'll ever set foot in the UC again (except possibly for irrops).
PP restaurants are going away August 1 for AMEX people.
ContinentalFan and Ugleeual like this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Speaking from experience, The Centurion Lounge at SFO is practically not usable - I've never been there when it isn't standing room or practically standing room.....
Food and drink is not comparable. Even if I have to stand and scarf down my delicious chicken.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by onthesam
Food and drink is not comparable. Even if I have to stand and scarf down my delicious chicken.
There is no debate that the food and drink are not comparable to any UC - but, if I have to stand the entire time it has lost its appeal.
seat38a likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:21 pm

Looks like Admirals Club is $650 as well. https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...membership.jsp
Looks like Delta upped their equivalent membership to $845.00 (Pretty sure it was in the $7 hundred range). https://www.delta.com/skyclub/purcha...Request.action
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:28 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by seat38a
PP restaurants are going away August 1 for AMEX people.
That's OK, Amex people are always bragging about their Centurion Lounge anyway.
coolbeans202 likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:33 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I agree with both of these posts (except the current fennel crusted chicken at Centurion is not nearly so good as the saffron chicken it replaced).

I appreciate the UC SFO as a place to go after scarfing down a quick plate at AMEX. But not at $650 (or $550 if that's the new 1K price). As more of my domestic travel goes to AS, I have less need for UC membership anyway. UA just making that choice easier.
spin88, JHake10 and DCFlyIAD like this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
That's OK, Amex people are always bragging about their Centurion Lounge anyway.
Not I. I have UC and Amex Platinum. I find UC much for relaxing since for one thing, I can walk in and find a place to sit which 90% of the case is not true for the Centurion Lounge.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:35 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
I am though their 2-3 times a month, nearly every time I fly UA. I need a good stiff drink before getting on a UA flight I have never, not once, not found a place to sit. Might I have to look arround? Yes. Might I not have a table in front of me I can eat off? Yes. But never not found a place to sit. The Club that is most impacted IMHE is SEA, which sometimes can't let people in.

+1. Decent wine, good cocktails, and the food is delicious ^ I would must rather stand and eat/drink at the Centurion than sit down and deal with the swill/crud at the United Club.

Looks like Admirals Club is $650 as well. https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...membership.jsp
Looks like Delta upped their equivalent membership to $845.00 (Pretty sure it was in the $7 hundred range). https://www.delta.com/skyclub/purcha...Request.action
I am amazed by AA, the Parkerization is really amazing. I am actually going to fly them on Monday - 4 seats in PE to Paris, then back from BCN, but they only made the "an airline I will fly" since its (a) PE and (b) their is a Centurion at DFW and PHL (our return).

Delta though will give lounge access (as will AS via PP membership which comes with the AMEX) to an AMEX Plt. So if you are flying Delta, it is silly to pay $845, you can just get the AMEX PLT for $550 and you can use their lounges.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
At Centurion airports I eat at AMEX then slide into UC to await flight.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:36 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Not I. I have UC and Amex Platinum. I find UC much for relaxing since for one thing, I can walk in and find a place to sit which 90% of the case is not true for the Centurion Lounge.
I think a lot of people here would agree. I typically pop into the Centurion to grab a bite and go to the UC Rotunda club for the cubes. However, I don't think i'd pay 650/yr for access to that seating.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by JHake10
I think a lot of people here would agree. I typically pop into the Centurion to grab a bite and go to the UC Rotunda club for the cubes. However, I don't think i'd pay 650/yr for access to that seating.
I wouldn't either, but I get my membership via Chase Club Card which I'm guessing will still come with a discount over the regular price. The travel insurance and primary rental car coverage alone pay for the annual fee many times over each year for me.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
The chicken mush in May followed by this months beef mush?

The ORD food has fallen off a cliff. Well documented on FT (and in person).

ETA:

How is $59 not meaningful? I was at ORD earlier this year and an agent was trying to talk a gentleman out of purchasing a 1-time pass as he only had 20 minutes (and was jet lagged, in transit from SYD. I guested him in.). She insisted it wasn't worth the money.
20 minutes for $59 at any lounge is not worth it. She was doing the right thing by looking out for him $$-wise...she wasn't making a statement against the product.

And yes, ORD food is just fine. I just wish they had the hot food offerings out past ~8 PM.
cawhite likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.