Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Polaris - New Business Class seats & inflight service {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2020, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Archive thread -- Active thread is United Polaris - New Business Class seats & inflight service -- 3+ years after Intro

United website - Explore: http://view.ceros.com/united/polaris-business-class/p/1
from UA's Facebook stream
Only customers traveling in United Polaris business class or United Polaris Global First on international flights and customers in Star Alliance international first or business class cabins on flights longer than six hours will have access to the United Polaris Lounge.
Official Polaris Lounge Access Rules are here: Polaris Lounge Access Rules

United Polaris Business and Polaris First pax may access the Polaris lounge at connecting airports and their final destination within 24 hours of departure or arrival.

*A international J and F pax may only access the Polaris lounge at the departure airport. For purposes of Polaris lounge access, Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, and Guam are excluded from the definition of "international."

Seat Chart.

Press release: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300278706.html

NEW YORK, June 2, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- With the aspiration of making weary business travel a relic of the past, United Airlines today unveiled its all-new United Polaris business class, the airline's most significant product transformation in more than a decade, featuring a reimagined, sleep-enhancing, departure-to-landing experience for intercontinental travelers.

Named after the North Star, United Polaris is the shining new star of business class travel that flyers can turn to for a tranquil and restful journey.

"United Polaris will change the game in international business travel with an exceptional level of relaxation and comfort throughout our customers' journeys," said Oscar Munoz, president and CEO of United. "This completely reconceived experience exemplifies the new spirit of United and the innovation, excitement and operational momentum across our airline."

Path-Breaking Design

In setting out to create a transformative business class experience, United chose to outfit its widebody fleet with a custom-designed, exclusive-to-United seat, rather than select an option already in the marketplace. Designed in partnership with Acumen Design Associates and PriestmanGoode and manufactured by Zodiac Seats United Kingdom, each United Polaris seat will offer direct access to the aisle, 180-degree flat-bed recline and up to 6 foot 6 inches of bed space.

Crafted as individual, forward-facing, suite-like pods, each customer's personal suite will feature a "Do Not Disturb" sign, mood lighting, one-touch lumbar support, several storage areas, multiple surfaces for simultaneous working and dining, a 16-inch high-definition entertainment screen and, for seats in the center of the cabin, electronic privacy dividers. Complementing the new seats, United and PriestmanGoode have also conceived an all-new look for the United Polaris cabins.

In rethinking the international business class experience, United conducted more than 12,000 hours of research, and sleep emerged as the single most important priority for international business class travelers. United Polaris' path-breaking design and sleep-enhancing focus was inspired and informed by insights from hundreds of customers and employees, inflight product simulations and more than 100 product evaluations.

Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours**. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.

Elevated Dining Experience

Upon boarding their flight, each United Polaris customer will be welcomed with a pre-departure beverage of his or her choice and gourmet chocolate. While in the air, customers will enjoy regionally influenced in-flight menus updated seasonally, developed in partnership with The Trotter Project and its critically recognized chefs, including Bill Kim of acclaimed Chicago restaurants Urbanbelly, bellyQ and Belly Shack.

The airline will offer an upgraded wine experience, with the highest-quality options curated exclusively by United's Master Sommelier. Inflight service will also include made-to-order signature ice cream sundaes, a dessert cart with a variety of petit dessert options, chocolate truffles and wine flights. On daytime flights longer than eight hours and on all flights longer than 12 hours, hot mid-flight snacks such as lobster macaroni and cheese will be available.

Raising The Bar With United Polaris Business Class Lounges

United will also open an exclusive portfolio of United Polaris business class lounges in nine locations around the world – the only lounge of its kind offered by a U.S. airline to business class customers – that will feature custom-designed chairs, private daybeds, spa-like showers and chef-inspired hot meals served in a boutique restaurant setting so customers can refresh and dine before boarding their planes. Premium sparkling wines and spirits, refreshing snacks and bottled water will also be offered.

The first new United Polaris lounge will open at Chicago O'Hare International Airport on Dec. 1, 2016. Lounges in eight other locations – Los Angeles, San Francisco, Houston, New York/Newark, Washington Dulles, Tokyo Narita, Hong Kong and London Heathrow – will follow in 2017.

United Polaris Introduction

United will begin to introduce United Polaris on Dec. 1, 2016, with the new inflight food and beverage experience, new custom bedding from Saks Fifth Avenue, new amenity kits and the new United Polaris lounge in Chicago. The United Polaris business class seat will first take flight in December on Boeing 777-300ER aircraft and subsequently on Boeing 787-10 and Airbus A350-1000 aircraft, as well as on Boeing 767-300 and 777-200 retrofits.

United Polaris will serve business class customers flying the U.S. airline industry's most global route network, reaching more than 330 destinations in more than 50 countries.

More information on the United Polaris business class can be found at united.com/Polaris.

[From [email][email protected] 11/15/2016]
Starting December 1, 2016, United Polaris Business Class service will replace United BusinessFirst service on international flights, and United Polaris Global First service will replace the current United Global First service.

Between 2017 to 2019 eight additional United Polaris lounges will open at EWR, HKG, IAD, IAH, LAX, LHR, NRT and SFO. We do not have the exact opening dates at this time. A scheduling announcement will be forthcoming.
** Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
Polaris lounge ORD - opened 01 Dec 2016 (wiki) (thread)
SFO Lounge changes? Which will become Polaris? Shower options?(wiki) (thread)
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}

Print Wikipost

United Polaris - New Business Class seats & inflight service {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2016, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by DL2SXM
If a customer has the choice between two comparable business class seats but one has a privacy door and the other doesn't...advantage Delta. Oh, plus a 18 inch monitor thrown in for good measure, that's two up on Polaris
I think the customer is gonna be looking at one airline who has a fraction of these seats compared to the other's, as well as an international network that is a shell of what it once was. One airline is trying to become a virtual airline more concerned with feeding its JV's while the other is actually launching more and more routes on it's own metal.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 2:52 pm

The DL seat isn't all that great and a door big deal this new seat will only be installed on the A350s and 777s and will only have 32 seats hardly a breakthrough in my book. And ppl want to knock UA and polaris and say there behind the times? At least the entire widebody fleet will feature it and have more seats then what DL is going to offer.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 2:53 pm

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Wake up. The contest here is not whose new J class is the nicest for those actually flying on it. It is whose new J class will sell the most seats at the most profitable price.

If you have a J class that won't sell as many seats (because only 32 are available vs. 48-60); or whose extra cost because of the lower seat density can't be reflected in higher prices because of inadequate market demand for the most superior seat; then you don't have a commercial winner.

To paraphrase all of this, the secret to winning the most money at the horse track is not simply to bet on the horse most likely to win the race (i.e., the fanciest seat). It is to bet on the horse whose actual odds of winning the race are the most superior to its pari-mutual odds (i.e., the reward relative to the cost).
Old Aug 16, 2016, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
It's clear that United and Delta are moving in different directions with respect to business class products.

The beauty of competition is that customers have the opportunity to fly (or evangelize ) the product that fits their travel needs best...

A door means you can call it a suite and advertise it as a suite. Something only first class has been able to do before.
But will people PAY more for such a product, especially when said configuration results in fewer seats than before, and will not be available on the majority of the longhaul fleet?

By the way, airlines have been calling their J class seats 'suites' for years...
Old Aug 16, 2016, 3:07 pm

I'm sorry people, a 3 ft high partition does not maketh a suite.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 3:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
The DL seat isn't all that great and a door big deal this new seat will only be installed on the A350s and 777s and will only have 32 seats hardly a breakthrough in my book. And ppl want to knock UA and polaris and say there behind the times? At least the entire widebody fleet will feature it and have more seats then what DL is going to offer.
guess you need to be reminded that as of today, UA has ZERO direct aisle access seats and, its going to take a lot longer than two years to refit all of UA's planes. 32 seats, so what? who cares how many seats wind up in the D1 cabin as compared to UA. If anything, that tells me DL is not sacrificing space to cram more seats in.

Originally Posted by seenitall
Wake up. The contest here is not whose new J class is the nicest for those actually flying on it. It is whose new J class will sell the most seats at the most profitable price.

If you have a J class that won't sell as many seats (because only 32 are available vs. 48-60); or whose extra cost because of the lower seat density can't be reflected in higher prices because of inadequate market demand for the most superior seat; then you don't have a commercial winner.

To paraphrase all of this, the secret to winning the most money at the horse track is not simply to bet on the horse most likely to win the race (i.e., the fanciest seat). It is to bet on the horse whose actual odds of winning the race are the most superior to its pari-mutual odds (i.e., the reward relative to the cost).
So, if its all about cost as you say, than UA loses. They basically have to spend costly CAPEX on updating a flatbed product just to come up to industry standards. DL not so much, they have had 1-2-1 for nearly a decade. So, keeping the 767 seat until the 767 retirement really shouldn't be to big a deal. No need for DL to spend oodles of money on updating something that is still way ahead of UA.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 16, 2016 at 3:24 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote
Old Aug 16, 2016, 3:15 pm

guess you need to be reminded that as of today, UA has ZERO direct aisle access seats and, its going to take a lot longer than two years to refit all of UA's planes.
Well, that's not true. If you want to really get pedantic, D/E seats on the sCO 777s, C/H seats on the 67I and D seats on the 76E/764 all technically offer undisturbed direct aisle access. That's not counting every GF seat.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 16, 2016 at 3:23 pm Reason: discuss the issues, not the poster; report concerns to Moderators
Old Aug 16, 2016, 3:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 747200f
I'm sorry people, a 3 ft high partition does not maketh a suite.
I guess that depends on who you ask. Sorry but, leg up Delta. I suppose like some others have noted, maybe Oscar can go back to the drawing board now, or just wait another 10 years before announcing a privacy door, ala suite!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 16, 2016 at 3:27 pm Reason: snarky / vulgar response removed
Old Aug 16, 2016, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by REPUBLIC757
"Just saw the ad, pretty low energy."

It is low energy! I almost fell asleep watching it!
The brand identity they picked is 'sleep' so it was an effective ad.

Looks like this Delta seat is the same used on JetBlue Mint for the solo seats - actually a narrower version with the console only on one side. Door is about the same height - hits the headrest, not as high as what you see on real first class suites. Delta is going with a bigger IFE screen.

I'd bet Qatar has something better than this off the shelf product coming.

Around 50 planes will have it.

And about 100 Delta 767s will have the dated Vantage seat (Polaris beats that handily) and 40 A330s will have the old Cirrus seat.

Not sure this is something that needs 'matching' - door isn't as big an add as direct aisle or lie flat.

All of UAs widebodies will have a much better product than the tight Delta 767 product, which is the largest part of its fleet by far, most of which will be flying with them for many years to come. A350 is a 747 replacement, not a 767 replacement.

Will be curious to see how UA proceeds with its around 50 odd 787s.

Perhaps there is something next gen on tap for them.

The real deafening silence from Delta was on the ground handling front. Not a peep about matching what UA and AA are doing on the lounges. This was the time to respond and they are flat footed.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
I definitely think this new DL seat looks more spacious and private than the Polaris seat. However, I'll reserve final judgment until I can sit in both seats. Plus, this says nothing of soft product and ground handling, two things I am actually optimistic about with Polaris. I love the idea of being able to dine at the Polaris lounge before a EWR-UK/EU redeye--those flights are only 6-7 hours flying time and sleep is important!

Speaking of sleep, what are the restrictions on mattress pads, pajamas, and slippers? Are all of those only for flights greater than 12 hours?
Old Aug 16, 2016, 3:53 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
The DL seat isn't all that great and a door big deal this new seat will only be installed on the A350s and 777s and will only have 32 seats hardly a breakthrough in my book.
More seats makes Polaris better? Only for the airline, not for the customer.

And ppl want to knock UA and polaris and say there behind the times? At least the entire widebody fleet will feature it and have more seats then what DL is going to offer.
That's because Polaris is only catching up to where Delta already is now. Delta already has all aisle access. So by the time United catches up to where Delta is today (in 2019 or so), Delta will be another step ahead. So yes Untied is behind. Seriously behind.

Originally Posted by CappuccinoAddict
... Plus, this says nothing of soft product and ground handling, two things I am actually optimistic about with Polaris. ...
Why? United has spouted marketing hype about service improvements many times in the past. Only to fall miserably short. The only difference I see is a bigger marketing budget. What makes you think it will be different this time?
Old Aug 16, 2016, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by porciuscato
More seats makes Polaris better? Only for the airline, not for the customer.
Maybe. But you can rest assured that FT would be in a complete meltdown about now-useless GPUs and inability to redeem miles for international premium travel if Polaris were going to result in a major reduction of premium cabin capacity, like DL is doing with their cabin mods.

There's always a balance to be struck. For instance, Delta pax will likely have plenty of time to enjoy the new D1 Suites on a double-connect routing to Asia from New York.

Why? United has spouted marketing hype about service improvements many times in the past. Only to fall miserably short. The only difference I see is a bigger marketing budget. What makes you think it will be different this time?
In this era, United has never attempted such a broad overhaul of both hard and soft international premium products. It's rather ambitious (but necessary given their position in the market) and the company appears to be investing the resources to get this right. If Polaris ends up seriously underwhelming, it won't be for a lack of effort.

But of course, if we want to take a pessimistic, backward-looking view of the future, I can see how one can be a bit more jaundiced about the prospect of Polaris.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 4:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
The brand identity they picked is 'sleep' so it was an effective ad.

Looks like this Delta seat is the same used on JetBlue Mint for the solo seats - actually a narrower version with the console only on one side. Door is about the same height - hits the headrest, not as high as what you see on real first class suites. Delta is going with a bigger IFE screen.

I'd bet Qatar has something better than this off the shelf product coming.

Around 50 planes will have it.

And about 100 Delta 767s will have the dated Vantage seat (Polaris beats that handily) and 40 A330s will have the old Cirrus seat.

The real deafening silence from Delta was on the ground handling front. Not a peep about matching what UA and AA are doing on the lounges. This was the time to respond and they are flat footed.
Delta doesnt have close to 100 767's, guess again. You obviously haven't been in a Delta skyclub lately. The JFK T4 skyclub is absolutely amazing. I mean, by the time you get to your flight, you've had so much really good food that you're not even hungry. don't forget the sky terrace that can be found at ATL and JFK. You truly cant beat relaxing on a roof top lounge while watching the planes taxi, take off and land. Maybe they just need to change the name, say to the D1 lounge, would that help?
Old Aug 16, 2016, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA 1k
91 767s according to their fleet site, so close to 100. I don't think the Delta Door looks like a revolutionary product but if it makes a difference for some consumers they will have the choice to fly Delta. I don't know if UA can pull of the consistency of a higher quality soft product but I look forward to trying it out!

Delta doesnt have close to 100 767's, guess again. You obviously haven't been in a Delta skyclub lately. The JFK T4 skyclub is absolutely amazing. I mean, by the time you get to your flight, you've had so much really good food that you're not even hungry. don't forget the sky terrace that can be found at ATL and JFK. You truly cant beat relaxing on a roof top lounge while watching the planes taxi, take off and land. Maybe they just need to change the name, say to the D1 lounge, would that help?
Old Aug 16, 2016, 4:31 pm

Delta's strategy to turn SEA into a Pacific gateway is going to lead to outsized negative returns, if not result in outright failure over the next decade. They will need to superior product in their Asian markets if they have any hope to entice east-coasters to connect in SEA v. flying nonstop on a litany of options. Turning to MU and PVG for Asian transfers is a desperate measure after they chased away Korean with their sheer executive level arrogance. And now it will cost them dearly.

The current DL 767 seat is truly awful. A coffin in ever sense of the word. UA's IPTE and Diamond seats are much higher caliber.

The Delta Zodiac seat is a cheap bargain basement high-density version that results in a sub-par experience. Hard seat cushions, short beds, and chintzy seat furnishing leave me feeling like I've truly flown Walmart air.

Delta will need a new seat to replace the latter, but if their new leaderships Smisek-level focus on cost-cutting is any indicator, that won't be happening for awhile.

The new "door" seat is lovely, but ask B6 if anyone really cares on the high profile JFK market. Hint: The answer is nobody. And I hate to say it...but the Mint seats are not especially comfortable.

Meanwhile the Polaris seat will have double the available seats for me to sit in, and by all indication, will be fleetwide. That's a huge differential. The comments about not carrying about seat count are truly startling, given this is FT!

Lastly, the current DL 777 seats are in a state of disrepair that I haven't seen since pre-IPTE at UA. Lovely...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.