Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Polaris - New Business Class seats & inflight service {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 17, 2020, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Archive thread -- Active thread is United Polaris - New Business Class seats & inflight service -- 3+ years after Intro

United website - Explore: http://view.ceros.com/united/polaris-business-class/p/1
from UA's Facebook stream
Only customers traveling in United Polaris business class or United Polaris Global First on international flights and customers in Star Alliance international first or business class cabins on flights longer than six hours will have access to the United Polaris Lounge.
Official Polaris Lounge Access Rules are here: Polaris Lounge Access Rules

United Polaris Business and Polaris First pax may access the Polaris lounge at connecting airports and their final destination within 24 hours of departure or arrival.

*A international J and F pax may only access the Polaris lounge at the departure airport. For purposes of Polaris lounge access, Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, and Guam are excluded from the definition of "international."

Seat Chart.

Press release: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300278706.html

NEW YORK, June 2, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- With the aspiration of making weary business travel a relic of the past, United Airlines today unveiled its all-new United Polaris business class, the airline's most significant product transformation in more than a decade, featuring a reimagined, sleep-enhancing, departure-to-landing experience for intercontinental travelers.

Named after the North Star, United Polaris is the shining new star of business class travel that flyers can turn to for a tranquil and restful journey.

"United Polaris will change the game in international business travel with an exceptional level of relaxation and comfort throughout our customers' journeys," said Oscar Munoz, president and CEO of United. "This completely reconceived experience exemplifies the new spirit of United and the innovation, excitement and operational momentum across our airline."

Path-Breaking Design

In setting out to create a transformative business class experience, United chose to outfit its widebody fleet with a custom-designed, exclusive-to-United seat, rather than select an option already in the marketplace. Designed in partnership with Acumen Design Associates and PriestmanGoode and manufactured by Zodiac Seats United Kingdom, each United Polaris seat will offer direct access to the aisle, 180-degree flat-bed recline and up to 6 foot 6 inches of bed space.

Crafted as individual, forward-facing, suite-like pods, each customer's personal suite will feature a "Do Not Disturb" sign, mood lighting, one-touch lumbar support, several storage areas, multiple surfaces for simultaneous working and dining, a 16-inch high-definition entertainment screen and, for seats in the center of the cabin, electronic privacy dividers. Complementing the new seats, United and PriestmanGoode have also conceived an all-new look for the United Polaris cabins.

In rethinking the international business class experience, United conducted more than 12,000 hours of research, and sleep emerged as the single most important priority for international business class travelers. United Polaris' path-breaking design and sleep-enhancing focus was inspired and informed by insights from hundreds of customers and employees, inflight product simulations and more than 100 product evaluations.

Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours**. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.

Elevated Dining Experience

Upon boarding their flight, each United Polaris customer will be welcomed with a pre-departure beverage of his or her choice and gourmet chocolate. While in the air, customers will enjoy regionally influenced in-flight menus updated seasonally, developed in partnership with The Trotter Project and its critically recognized chefs, including Bill Kim of acclaimed Chicago restaurants Urbanbelly, bellyQ and Belly Shack.

The airline will offer an upgraded wine experience, with the highest-quality options curated exclusively by United's Master Sommelier. Inflight service will also include made-to-order signature ice cream sundaes, a dessert cart with a variety of petit dessert options, chocolate truffles and wine flights. On daytime flights longer than eight hours and on all flights longer than 12 hours, hot mid-flight snacks such as lobster macaroni and cheese will be available.

Raising The Bar With United Polaris Business Class Lounges

United will also open an exclusive portfolio of United Polaris business class lounges in nine locations around the world – the only lounge of its kind offered by a U.S. airline to business class customers – that will feature custom-designed chairs, private daybeds, spa-like showers and chef-inspired hot meals served in a boutique restaurant setting so customers can refresh and dine before boarding their planes. Premium sparkling wines and spirits, refreshing snacks and bottled water will also be offered.

The first new United Polaris lounge will open at Chicago O'Hare International Airport on Dec. 1, 2016. Lounges in eight other locations – Los Angeles, San Francisco, Houston, New York/Newark, Washington Dulles, Tokyo Narita, Hong Kong and London Heathrow – will follow in 2017.

United Polaris Introduction

United will begin to introduce United Polaris on Dec. 1, 2016, with the new inflight food and beverage experience, new custom bedding from Saks Fifth Avenue, new amenity kits and the new United Polaris lounge in Chicago. The United Polaris business class seat will first take flight in December on Boeing 777-300ER aircraft and subsequently on Boeing 787-10 and Airbus A350-1000 aircraft, as well as on Boeing 767-300 and 777-200 retrofits.

United Polaris will serve business class customers flying the U.S. airline industry's most global route network, reaching more than 330 destinations in more than 50 countries.

More information on the United Polaris business class can be found at united.com/Polaris.

[From [email][email protected] 11/15/2016]
Starting December 1, 2016, United Polaris Business Class service will replace United BusinessFirst service on international flights, and United Polaris Global First service will replace the current United Global First service.

Between 2017 to 2019 eight additional United Polaris lounges will open at EWR, HKG, IAD, IAH, LAX, LHR, NRT and SFO. We do not have the exact opening dates at this time. A scheduling announcement will be forthcoming.
** Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
Polaris lounge ORD - opened 01 Dec 2016 (wiki) (thread)
SFO Lounge changes? Which will become Polaris? Shower options?(wiki) (thread)
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}

Print Wikipost

United Polaris - New Business Class seats & inflight service {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2018, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Looking to finally try a UA J experience with wife. Seems like Polaris is a disappointment compared to what I've experienced with DL One. But given flying on UA J vs DL J would save me 10K per tix in miles OW plus 1 night of hotel points I think I'm going to bite the bullet and buy a UA ticket. Though it's annoying that a lot of UA's "Business class" saver tickets have mixed classes of service (ie sitting in Y for the domestic portion), not something I have to do with DL.

Anyway, wondering if folks have any suggestions regarding the following route: DEN-SFO/LAX/IAH-HND/NRT-CTS

Here's the catch, only "good" Polaris seats IMO is on the 773. I can't believe anyone would fly on the 772 in the 2-4-2 config. I'm guessing the 2-2-2 config on the 789 isn't so bad particularly given that it's the 787 (which I've never flown in J before). So here are my questions:

1. If I want to fly the 773. I have to fly SFO-NRT. Then to get to CTS I would have to transfer to HND as the only flights via miles are HND-CTS. So is it worth the extra time changing NRT-HND (90 min bus ride, ~$30 tix per person) to fly in the 773 vs the 772 and never touching foot in NRT (ie 772 route is DEN-SFO-HND-CTS)?

2. The 789 also flies via NRT. Connections aren't really an issue, so is there any reason to fly the 789 in J vs the 773?

3. If I'm flying DEN-SFO in Y but SFO-NRT/HND in J, I assume I'll get lounge access in DEN?

4. Are mixed cabin itins common on UA when booking TPAC/TATL J tix?

5. I assume if I check bags in DEN, I'll pick them up in NRT (if I fly there) and schlep them to HND?

6. If my flight to NRT has IRROPS and I end up missing my connection on NH HND-CTS, will UA/NH rebook me or will I be SOL for missing it?

Last edited by mnredfox; Jan 12, 2018 at 12:30 am
Old Jan 12, 2018, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by mnredfox
1. If I want to fly the 773. I have to fly SFO-NRT. Then to get to CTS I would have to transfer to HND as the only flights via miles are HND-CTS. So is it worth the extra time changing NRT-HND (90 min bus ride, ~$30 tix per person) to fly in the 773 vs the 772 and never touching foot in NRT (ie 772 route is DEN-SFO-HND-CTS)?
Have you considered DEN-SFO-KIX-CTS? I don't know if you have already found saver award space on all your choices, but SFO-KIX is a good candidate, same-airport Japan transfer, and served by the 787. Also DEN-NRT/HND-CTS?

Otherwise I think it really depends. The sUA 772 is quite the clown car in J, but that doesn't mean it's miserable. If part of this trip is to get a premium airline experience, I would fly the 77W and put up with the NRT-HND transfer. If you're leveraging business class to be comfortable on your travel, even 2-4-2 is not that big a deal compared to the airport transfer (ed. especially if traveling with your spouse and you select a 2-block by the window)

2. The 789 also flies via NRT. Connections aren't really an issue, so is there any reason to fly the 789 in J vs the 773?
All things equal, the 77W is a better ride. But the 787 is indeed just fine.

3. If I'm flying DEN-SFO in Y but SFO-NRT/HND in J, I assume I'll get lounge access in DEN?
Correct, as long as your TPAC segment is on UA metal.

4. Are mixed cabin itins common on UA when booking TPAC/TATL J tix?
Sadly yes, for saver awards. You can waitlist the domestic segment for First, although your odds of clearing are only so-so.

5. I assume if I check bags in DEN, I'll pick them up in NRT (if I fly there) and schlep them to HND?
Yes.

6. If my flight to NRT has IRROPS and I end up missing my connection on NH HND-CTS, will UA/NH rebook me or will I be SOL for missing it?
It would all be on the same ticket, so you are still protected in the case of IRROPS. As the late delivering carrier, UA would rebook you.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 1:11 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by findark
Have you considered DEN-SFO-KIX-CTS? I don't know if you have already found saver award space on all your choices, but SFO-KIX is a good candidate, same-airport Japan transfer, and served by the 787. Also DEN-NRT/HND-CTS?

Otherwise I think it really depends. The sUA 772 is quite the clown car in J, but that doesn't mean it's miserable. If part of this trip is to get a premium airline experience, I would fly the 77W and put up with the NRT-HND transfer. If you're leveraging business class to be comfortable on your travel, even 2-4-2 is not that big a deal compared to the airport transfer (ed. especially if traveling with your spouse and you select a 2-block by the window)

All things equal, the 77W is a better ride. But the 787 is indeed just fine.

Correct, as long as your TPAC segment is on UA metal.

Sadly yes, for saver awards. You can waitlist the domestic segment for First, although your odds of clearing are only so-so.

Yes.

It would all be on the same ticket, so you are still protected in the case of IRROPS. As the late delivering carrier, UA would rebook you.
Thanks for your feedback. Yes, since it is wife and I, we could make the two doable, again I'm just used to the DL J product where everyone has a bit more space and privacy.

Re waitlisting - can you do that with awards? Or is that for UG instruments only? I'm only a UA Silver so not sure if it even applies for me and if I would have to pay up if the saver opened up.

What does the s in sUA stand for?

Lastly, I guess I have to think about bags. Going skiing in Niseko so if I fly to NRT then head to HND to fly HND-CTS, I guess I wouldn't get the same baggage allowance would I as the HND-CTS is in X class (economy). Had I flown DEN-SFO-HND-CTS IIRC I wouldn't even touch my checked bags after checking them in at DEN until CTS right? In that case DEN-CTS I would get the J allowance....

Also, didn't see any KIX availability. I'll try a few searches though.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Re waitlisting - can you do that with awards? Or is that for UG instruments only? I'm only a UA Silver so not sure if it even applies for me and if I would have to pay up if the saver opened up.
Yes, you might want to see this thread. Basically you can have confirmed Economy and waitlist for the same flavor of Business. So if your domestic connection confirms Economy, you can waitlist it for First (for free since it's already a premium award).

What does the s in sUA stand for?
"subsidiary" - UA and CO are still separate crews and therefore separate aircraft assigned to those crews. The sUA 772s are 3-class and 2-4-2 in J, whereas the sCO 772s are 2-2-2 in J and have no F.

Lastly, I guess I have to think about bags. Going skiing in Niseko so if I fly to NRT then head to HND to fly HND-CTS, I guess I wouldn't get the same baggage allowance would I as the HND-CTS is in X class (economy). Had I flown DEN-SFO-HND-CTS IIRC I wouldn't even touch my checked bags after checking them in at DEN until CTS right? In that case DEN-CTS I would get the J allowance....
Someone should correct me, but I'm pretty sure that you can get your bags tagged through to CTS in DEN regardless. Also in all instances, you need to collect your bags at your Japan port of entry to go through customs, and then you re-check them for the domestic segment. If the bags are tagged through to CTS your baggage allowance holds. Also, by the US MSC rules, the UA allowance for DEN-CTS should apply to the entire itinerary.

Also, didn't see any KIX availability. I'll try a few searches though.
Yeah, searching for awards is harder these days.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 4:12 pm

Yes, you might want to see this thread. Basically you can have confirmed Economy and waitlist for the same flavor of Business. So if your domestic connection confirms Economy, you can waitlist it for First (for free since it's already a premium award).

"subsidiary" - UA and CO are still separate crews and therefore separate aircraft assigned to those crews. The sUA 772s are 3-class and 2-4-2 in J, whereas the sCO 772s are 2-2-2 in J and have no F.

Someone should correct me, but I'm pretty sure that you can get your bags tagged through to CTS in DEN regardless. Also in all instances, you need to collect your bags at your Japan port of entry to go through customs, and then you re-check them for the domestic segment. If the bags are tagged through to CTS your baggage allowance holds. Also, by the US MSC rules, the UA allowance for DEN-CTS should apply to the entire itinerary.

Yeah, searching for awards is harder these days.
Thanks for thread, I'll look into it.

Regarding bags tagged all the way through, is this the case for HND only, or is that true for DEN-SFO-NRT, HND-CTS?
Old Jan 12, 2018, 7:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Regarding bags tagged all the way through, is this the case for HND only, or is that true for DEN-SFO-NRT, HND-CTS?
You're going to have to haul your bags with you to HND and check them at the counter there.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
You're going to have to haul your bags with you to HND and check them at the counter there.
Right, but they should be tagged from DEN to CTS, so just need to drop them at the counter in HND and don't need to pay NH Y baggage fees for HND-CTS. At least, I think so.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 7:02 am

Location: EWR and KGL (with occasional home/work trips to NRT/ITM)
Programs: MP MM 1K, Sky Miles, Emirates Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
If you have ample time at Niseko, you may want to consider sending your bag from NRT with "Takuhaibi." If you want to ski from the next day, you can only pack essentials (skis, boots, ski wears, and a day worth of clothes) to haul them to HND and the rest can arrive probably the next day Since you need to haul these luggages to HAND via limousine bus or train, it may be good option.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 9:22 pm

Right, but they should be tagged from DEN to CTS, so just need to drop them at the counter in HND and don't need to pay NH Y baggage fees for HND-CTS. At least, I think so.
I guess I'll find out. I called UA and they said I would have to pay, but need to confirm with ANA. Oh well...

As for waitlisting, I see in my PNR that is now showing "I class requested". I assume this is correct then? Should I class be requested for a domestic flight?
Old Jan 13, 2018, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess I'll find out. I called UA and they said I would have to pay, but need to confirm with ANA. Oh well...

As for waitlisting, I see in my PNR that is now showing "I class requested". I assume this is correct then? Should I class be requested for a domestic flight?
Yes, that seems correct. Good luck! I would monitor I inventory to be sure, and call in if you see it open.

Originally Posted by Atuchan
If you have ample time at Niseko, you may want to consider sending your bag from NRT with "Takuhaibi." If you want to ski from the next day, you can only pack essentials (skis, boots, ski wears, and a day worth of clothes) to haul them to HND and the rest can arrive probably the next day Since you need to haul these luggages to HAND via limousine bus or train, it may be good option.
Takuhaibin!
Old Jan 13, 2018, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If everything works right, you should go to the counter in DEN and get tags that are for CTS. Then just dump your already-tagged bags at the counter in HND. (This is very similar to not having to change airports - in both cases you have to collect and re-check your bags; the only difference is you're taking them across Tokyo rather than down the hall.)

Even if you need to re-check in HND, the rules still say you should get the UA allowance for DEN-CTS according the US DOT "first marketing carrier" rule (14 CFR 399.87). This is annoying if you have to fight about it, but I think your bags should just get tagged through in DEN.

Yes, all good to go!
Old Jan 15, 2018, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Even if you need to re-check in HND, the rules still say you should get the UA allowance for DEN-CTS according the US DOT "first marketing carrier" rule (14 CFR 399.87). This is annoying if you have to fight about it, but I think your bags should just get tagged through in DEN.
Does a US DOT rule apply to a Japan domestic flight?
Old Jan 15, 2018, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LXFlyer
Does a US DOT rule apply to a Japan domestic flight?
Yes, because the ticket includes travel to/from the United States. It is true, however, that you would have a hard time enforcing it if NH didn't want to cooperate, but my point was more that it's the rule and carriers usually follow it. In this case though, the IATA rule (MSC) also suggests that you should get free bags.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
Yes, that seems correct. Good luck! I would monitor I inventory to be sure, and call in if you see it open.

Takuhaibin!
Yikes I will. If only it were more automatic. I presume if there are seats at T-24 I should jump ahead of elites getting complimentary free UG's?

Yes, because the ticket includes travel to/from the United States. It is true, however, that you would have a hard time enforcing it if NH didn't want to cooperate, but my point was more that it's the rule and carriers usually follow it. In this case though, the IATA rule (MSC) also suggests that you should get free bags.
Makes sense, we will find out!
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
UA finds new and surprising ways to reduce fuel costs

It starts with the OJ, soda and wine arcs, but what's next?...

https://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/....html?page=all

Catering operations are getting adjusted too. If you're on a United flight to China or Japan, don't expect to find the aircraft galley stocked with huge quantities of orange juice or sodas, which are evidently not hugely popular beverages with many passengers who frequent flights on those routes.
Reducing quantities of these beverages, along with the wine arcs United uses in its Polaris international business class wine tasting service, will result in a savings of more than $673,000

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.