Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Fare Bucket for Military/Government ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2019, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Silver, AC Altitude 35K, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, Bonvoy Silver and a few more

I will be flying to South America later this month. The ticket is being purchased for me through SATO and will be a government rate/fare in economy, most likely using United and Avianca or COPA. Does anyone know what fare bucket it falls under ? Trying to calculate qualifying miles. Thanks in advnace
Old Jun 8, 2019, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by flying chef
I will be flying to South America later this month. The ticket is being purchased for me through SATO and will be a government rate/fare in economy, most likely using United and Avianca or COPA. Does anyone know what fare bucket it falls under ? Trying to calculate qualifying miles. Thanks in advnace
Nope. Could be a YCA, could be a -CA, or could be a -DG. No way to know without knowing the city pairs.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sannmann
No way to know without knowing the city pairs.
And the inventory on the specific flights being taken, as well, since if there is a discount fare published, that'll indicate whether or not it'd be available on that set of flights.

If the flights are operated by UA on a published government fare, it would be a minimum of 100% PQM.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 9:54 pm

Programs: Gov't Travel Aficionado, UA Plat
When you book on DTS (assuming military) you can view the full fare rules associated with the ticket when you select it. The first letter will be your fare class. If you've already booked just call your local SATO office and ask.
In my experience, if you're flying a United ticketed long haul international (i.e. would require GPU), you get S class; if you're flying short haul international (i.e. only requires RPU), you get U class; if not a city pair contract route, you get Y.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 6:16 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
My experience for international is there's a YCA fare that books into Y (i.e., full fare, 1.5 PQS 1.5xPQM) and an xCA fare that almost always books into S (so no GPU). If it's non-contract then it could be anything, although typically at least S, but often higher. Obviously you need a justification for the non-contract flight.
zski1 likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by drewguy
My experience for international is there's a YCA fare that books into Y (i.e., full fare, 1.5 PQS 1.5xPQM) and an xCA fare that almost always books into S (so no GPU). If it's non-contract then it could be anything, although typically at least S, but often higher. Obviously you need a justification for the non-contract flight.
If I can explain why a flight "does not meet mission requirements," my AO has yet to turn me down if I need to take a flight that isn't the cheapest or contracted. YMMV.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Silver, AC Altitude 35K, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, Bonvoy Silver and a few more
A few more details

Originally Posted by drewguy
My routing will most likely be YYZ-IAH-UIO-MEC Last leg would most likely be Avianca
No pairing other than the YYZ-IAH leg

Thoughts on the fare buckets?
Old Jun 9, 2019, 9:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Go into DTS if you have it and in an authorization do a dummy search for your city pair. Once the listings of fares comes up, in that tab you can select that flight and there is a link to the specific fare rules. For UA (unlikely, UA doesn't have many GSA contract fares, but still possible I suppose) it will be Y, the -CA part doesn't matter to your question. 1.5 segments and 150% PQM is what you'd earn, award miles are based on fare basis and your status level multiplier.

For DL and UA full fare Y still earns the 150% MQM and PQM, AA recently knocked their full fare Y down to 100% EQM.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 9:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by gmt4
Go into DTS if you have it and in an authorization do a dummy search for your city pair. Once the listings of fares comes up, in that tab you can select that flight and there is a link to the specific fare rules. For UA (unlikely, UA doesn't have many GSA contract fares, but still possible I suppose) it will be Y, the -CA part doesn't matter to your question. 1.5 segments and 150% PQM is what you'd earn, award miles are based on fare basis and your status level multiplier.

For DL and UA full fare Y still earns the 150% MQM and PQM, AA recently knocked their full fare Y down to 100% EQM.
All of my -CA fares have UA have booked into S.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

Sadly, no DTS access. I can only speculate until I get the ticket.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Do a dummy booking on UA website

On United.com, select “product and service” and then “official government/military travel,” the booking site will come out. You will choose some flights and find the fare details.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by Kmxu
On United.com, select “product and service” and then “official government/military travel,” the booking site will come out. You will choose some flights and find the fare details.
That is not representative of what the Defense Travel System website would show you when you search their booking system for the same flight. I can pull up a dummy search if you tell me your departure date.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 7:12 am

When booking through DTS, is the reservation ticketed immediately? I've heard that they don't actually ticket until about 3 days prior to travel. I would like to be able to go into United.com right after and move to an E+ seat.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 7:13 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by UAFLYER22
When booking through DTS, is the reservation ticketed immediately? I've heard that they don't actually ticket until about 3 days prior to travel. I would like to be able to go into United.com right after and move to an E+ seat.
Once reservation is made, you can move to E+, even though it's not ticketed. You can't apply upgrade, however, until ticketed.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 7:16 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by therossinator
That is not representative of what the Defense Travel System website would show you when you search their booking system for the same flight.
Can confirm this as well. The UA gov't booking system, while useful, tends to combine or piece together segments especially if its in connecting markets. So using MCIDCA as an example, it may piece it together fares for MCIORD and ORDDCA where UA would be the contract carrier and has -CA fares published whereas DTS may only show MCIDCA and UA's respective -DG on that city pair.

Originally Posted by UAFLYER22
As mentioned before, you can select seats but cannot apply upgrade instruments. I usually request early ticketing to ensure I am at least within my upgrade window and typically if its not ticketed until 3 days out I will have missed out on the upgrade sweep.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.