Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Fare Bucket for Military/Government ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fare Bucket for Military/Government ticket

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2024, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by flying chef (Post # 73)
Am I able to fly YYZ- KON and then HNL-YYZ (multi-city) on a DTS fare ? Looks like United is the carrier of choice, but could I use AC on the HNL-YYZ trip ? Also, I would be paying my own way KON-HNL. As always, thanks for answering my questions.
We presume you actually mean KOA (Kona, Hawaii) and not KON (Kon Tum, Vietnam).
jsloan likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 11:54 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by DiminishedSeventh
Unless you qualify under one of the exceptions you’ll have to abide by the Fly America Act.
True, though I believe code shares meet the FLA reg unless something changed recently (which is possible lol).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
True, though I believe code shares meet the FLA reg unless something changed recently (which is possible lol).
Yep, OP would just have to make sure they purchase the UA designated flight.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Yes, a codeshare still qualifies.

https://www.gsa.gov/policy-regulatio...ly-america-act
Old Mar 6, 2024, 2:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
One of the silliest relational that exists, JVs would male a little sense but codeshares don't make the slightest sense.
SPN Lifer and drewguy like this.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Silver, AC Altitude 35K, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, Bonvoy Silver and a few more
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
We presume you actually mean KOA (Kona, Hawaii) and not KON (Kon Tum, Vietnam).
Yes, I meant KOA
Old Mar 12, 2024, 6:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Silver, AC Altitude 35K, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, Bonvoy Silver and a few more
Follow up to all of this....which fare class/bucket does YYZ-KOA and HNL-YYZ fall into using DTS travel ?
Old Mar 12, 2024, 6:35 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by flying chef
Follow up to all of this....which fare class/bucket does YYZ-KOA and HNL-YYZ fall into using DTS travel ?
If it's contract on United, most of the time it's either Y (using YCA) or S (using _CA).
Old Mar 12, 2024, 6:35 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
One of the silliest relational that exists, JVs would male a little sense but codeshares don't make the slightest sense.
Indeed. Jet Blue is the contract carrier to some middle east destinations, given code share with one of the ME3.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 7:19 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Delete please. Duplicated.

Another useful site is the GSA city pair. https://www.gsa.gov/travel/plan-book...y-pair-program

Last edited by Kmxu; Mar 12, 2024 at 7:22 am Reason: duplicated
Old Mar 12, 2024, 7:21 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Kmxu
If United is not a contract carrier, the fare class can vary greatly. If you want to find it out on united.com, you can do the following steps.
1) Scroll down all way to the bottom on united.com
2) Click "Product and services"
3) Click "U.S. military and government travel"
4) Click "Flight reservations for official business"
5) Input your search information
For the YYZ-KOA example, the government refundable fare is in T class. HNL-YYZ is in Y class (YCA).

Another useful site is the GSA city pair. https://www.gsa.gov/travel/plan-book...y-pair-program
Old Mar 12, 2024, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drewguy (Post # 83)
If it's contract on United, most of the time it's either Y (using YCA) or S (using _CA).
There are actually three types of Government fares: CA, CB, and DG.

CA = Contract, Award
CB = Contract, Business (class)
DG = Discount, Government

The first two are negotiated and authorized by the General Services Administration (GSA), while the latter are offered unilaterally by airlines.

Yes, the form of the coach fares is indeed YCA​​​​​, _CA, YDG, or _DG where the fare category varies by carrier.

See, e.g., https://www.travel.dod.mil/Support/A...ommercial-air/
Old Mar 12, 2024, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by flying chef
i don’t believe there is a 2024 contract for these routes, and DG fares can be whatever United wants. United makes it easy to check the info you seek here: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ts/milgov.html

looking at random dates, going Yto to koa, I mostly see a mix of S and T fares.

from hnl-Yto, there are a variety of fare types. In at least one case, it appears United will sell a y_ca by constructing travel, eg HNL-ORD, ORD-YTO. (They may do the same for koa)

Now whether or not you’d find the same availability in DTS is another story, and you have to use the CTO except in very limited situations. But calling an agent, they may be able to pull these up if DTS doesn’t.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.