Wiki Posts
Search

Should I complain?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2019, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
Wait, you were in 1A and you hit the call button? LOL

Dude, the galley/flight attendant is like 4 feet away.

Good lord.
Agreed - Certainly a call button should be used in an emergency, but if you absolutely need something now, can't wait for a FA to walk by, get up and ask. I say that because call buttons make noise - I'm sure I am not the only one awoken by someone hitting a call button.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by zombietooth
I never use the call button, even internationally. My attitude is that getting up and stretching your legs is good for you, and you get quicker service when you show up in the galley in person.
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Agree, I always get up and ask. Maybe strike up a conversation and make them feel like I care about them. Amazing how much better the service gets if I initiate something positive. I've bumped the call button, but never intentionally used it in decades of flying.
agree with both of these. I wouldn’t say I’ve never used the call button, definitely have, but probably not once a year on average. Definitely more prone to use it if I am in a window or middle where I’d have to bother other pax if I got up.

Definitely specifically agree with stretching your legs is a good idea - I try to do that every 2-3 hours or so (unless I’m sleeping), especially on long-hauls.

Specific to the OP, my bigger concern would be on the angle of what would happen in an emergency. Was the FA actually around, and just didn’t see/hear it for some reason, or were they sleeping. Concern because the FA is supposed to be there for our safety, and if there is an issue, they need to be there to handle it.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 5:05 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Why are you all so averse to using the call button?
jspira likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 5:17 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by krispy84
Maybe because it has no effect....apparently!
Miggles, wrp96 and krispy84 like this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 5:22 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by krispy84
Because using it in a non-emergency situation provokes a lecture that "it is only for emergencies!"
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 5:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
No offence, but as I was reading your post, I was waiting for the punchline about the nature of the complaint. Then it occurred to me that it was the lack of reaction to the call button. Come on, this is UA. I would have gotten up and gone to the galley myself. A complaint to the 1K line will achieve nothing. As always, a more descriptive thread title is appreciated!
Old Jun 7, 2019, 6:01 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
Because using it in a non-emergency situation provokes a lecture that "it is only for emergencies!"
How do they get away with parroting this rubbish? Do the inflight magazines mention call button usage at all?
Old Jun 7, 2019, 6:05 am

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
The FA should have come by, regardless first or coach. What if it was an emergency? In over 2 million miles of flying, I have only used the call button once. Don't remember why but clearly it wasn't live and death. Accidentally push it a few times fumbling for reading light. The FA never showed up. If FAs do not response to the call button, then why have them! I was taught by WineCountryUSA to complain so that management can train the staff properly. I understand the OP situation wasn't an emergency but what if it was an emergency.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
The OP should report it. What UA does with the info is for them to decide. A FA not responding to a call button for hours is just not acceptable.
narvik and Kacee like this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 9:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
If you're used to flying Asian carriers, it makes perfect sense to hit the call button rather than going to the galley. The model on many Asian carriers is to leave you alone unless you ask for something, then come running if you do hit the button. That is not the U.S. model (which too often is just to ignore you regardless ).

Good lord.
Another incredibly valuable contribution
chavala likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 9:42 am

Not everyone can stand up and go to the galley easily. Could have a broken foot, have poor balance, or be in a window seat with a sleeping seatmate.
chavala likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I also recall one, or maybe 2 flights, domestically in relatively recent memory where someone has hit the button on or right before take off roll, when we were on the runway. Definitely once my last time leaving YVR.

FAs definitely saw it, and from their jump seat, one announced on the PA something to the effect of they are unable to respond unless it was an actual emergency, and that if it is, to take a specific action - don’t remember exactly what (perhaps it was something like disengage and re-press the call button).

Seems it wasn’t a true emergency as nothing ever happened after hat, and I presume when the FAs were able to get up, hey asked the pax what they needed.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by threeoh
Not everyone can stand up and go to the galley easily. Could have a broken foot, have poor balance, or be in a window seat with a sleeping seatmate.
Definitely a window seat with a sleeping seatmate in my case. Also TBH, it was just me being really sleepy and groggy.

Good lord.
Is there any case, in your mind, it would be acceptable to hit the call button if they are in 1A?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 7, 2019 at 12:53 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.