Should I complain?

Old Jun 6, 2019, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
Should I complain?

I was in 1A on a red eye from PHX to EWR. I got up sometime during the flight and hit the call button, and waited a little while for the flight attendant to come by. No one did, at which point I noticed that the seat belt sign was on. So I shut the call button and went back to sleep.

Got up again after an hour and hit the call button. The seat belt sign was off at that point. No one came and I fell asleep. When I got up after a little while, I saw the call button still on and saw my seatmate looking visibly annoyed and asking me if he can shut the call button if I don't mind. He did not have a sleep mask on and the call button light can be surprisingly bright in a dark cabin. At this point I shut it off.

The only time I then saw the flight attendant was when we were getting ready for descent. I ordinarily would've written to United 1K, but the flight attendant was really nice and seemed well intentioned when I did see her, at the very start and very end of the flight.

I think feedback is really important but in this case would you say something to 1K?
Old Jun 6, 2019, 7:56 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by azfanboy
I was in 1A on a red eye from PHX to EWR. I got up sometime during the flight and hit the call button, and waited a little while for the flight attendant to come by. No one did, at which point I noticed that the seat belt sign was on. So I shut the call button and went back to sleep.

Got up again after an hour and hit the call button. The seat belt sign was off at that point. No one came and I fell asleep. When I got up after a little while, I saw the call button still on and saw my seatmate looking visibly annoyed and asking me if he can shut the call button if I don't mind. He did not have a sleep mask on and the call button light can be surprisingly bright in a dark cabin. At this point I shut it off.

The only time I then saw the flight attendant was when we were getting ready for descent. I ordinarily would've written to United 1K, but the flight attendant was really nice and seemed well intentioned when I did see her, at the very start and very end of the flight.

I think feedback is really important but in this case would you say something to 1K?
I would have just got up and walked to the galley.
LIH, mr8, brp1264 and 7 others like this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 7:58 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... I think feedback is really important but in this case would you say something to 1K?
What do you want to happen as a result of your complain?

Why would you be worried about making a complaint if you felt dissatisfied?
Old Jun 6, 2019, 8:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bruceba
Me too.

But still, the FA should have responded. What if it was an emergency?

Personally I would let it go. But a complaint would not be unjustified.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by bruceba
Yes indeed, in hindsight that is what I should've done. I suppose my only excuse is that I was groggy from the sleep.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
What do you want to happen as a result of your complain?

Why would you be worried about making a complaint if you felt dissatisfied?
Not worried so much as in, that maybe they had a good reason to not respond to the call button. And the only reason I say that is the flight attendant did seem really nice the few times I did interact with her. Ideally I would want United to fix the issue of responding the call button, at the very least, in first class. This is not a short flight either. To not see anyone for over 3 hours is a little mind boggling.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 8:59 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
What was the reason why you pressed the call button? Not that it mattered, since a FA should have responded to the call. An FA should have also walked the aisle, even if it's a red-eye.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 9:03 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... To not see anyone for over 3 hours is a little mind boggling.
Appears you may have been asleep for most of that time. But the FA will typically turn off the call request if they find you asleep.
Annalisa12 and nancypants like this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: Delta-Million miler
No more call buttons-Go high tech
If you want water-Press 1
If you want wine/beer/and other alcoholic beverages-Press 2
If you want non-alcoholic beverages-Press 3.
For any other items-Press 4.
If your seat has technical problems, write to Acme airlines at [email protected] with your name, address, telephone number with specific nature of the problem.
If you have an emergency-do not wait-go to the galley.
ll our agents are busy-we will get back to you as soon as possible.
​​​​​​​Music....
jspira, mmack and wrp96 like this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Gynob001
If your seat has technical problems, write to Acme airlines at [email protected] with your name, address, telephone number with specific nature of the problem.
Music....
Due to bad weather in our network, all operators are busy at the moment. The current wait time to speak to an operator is 2 hours and 36 minutes.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Wait, you were in 1A and you hit the call button? LOL

Dude, the galley/flight attendant is like 4 feet away.

Good lord.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 1:18 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Class, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by enviroian

Good lord.
The view from an Atlantic cousin here:

When flying BA in business intra-Europe (my approximation to US domestic F here) I have no hesitation in using the call button, whether in 1A/C/D or F. Im not a serial button presser, but if I want something I will call the cabin crew. I will combine a trip to the fwd lav with a request to the galley when passing; however, Im unlikely to specifically get up to ask for something. I am perhaps more willing to directly request the service I want than some of my countrymen, but I dont think my approach is a significant outlier.

Caveat: Am aware from FT that the call button is viewed [EDIT: treated by some cabin crew] differently in some air-markets than others.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by enviroian

Good lord.
I never use the call button, even internationally. My attitude is that getting up and stretching your legs is good for you, and you get quicker service when you show up in the galley in person.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by zombietooth
I never use the call button, even internationally. My attitude is that getting up and stretching your legs is good for you, and you get quicker service when you show up in the galley in person.
Agree, I always get up and ask. Maybe strike up a conversation and make them feel like I care about them. Amazing how much better the service gets if I initiate something positive. I've bumped the call button, but never intentionally used it in decades of flying.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gynob001
​​​​​​​Music....
VX had food and drink ordering through the IFE system before AS bought them and killed it. It was great. Saves the FA a round trip and I get whatever I want faster.

I know that some people like the personal service of interacting with the FA but I much prefer the efficient approach.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 3:07 pm

Programs: Delta-Million miler
Technical service: Sir-if you do not mind, do not drink alcohol. It is bad for you. Drink inflight water that is specially aged in our storage tank. Best vintage 1975.
Our alcohol is freshly brewed at our own backside still.Complementary for our members.
Sir, did you say some child is kicking the back of your seat? We condone violence and the perpetrator will be arrested when we land. Until then, stay on the line and don't let the person out of your sight.
Sir, you say you are the captain and couldn't get back to the cockpit? For security verification, please state your name, last 4 digits of your social security number, date of birth and this flight number.
The inflight internet is not secure and is subject to hacking by IRS. All laptops close.
Sir, there is no seat 10Z in this flight! Did you mean you are tense and want an emotional support animal?
(as you all can see, this is what I do after retirement)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.