Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Text from United about longer TSA times at CLE

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2019, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA: Platinum, Marriott: Platinum

I'm scheduled to fly from CLE tomorrow and just received a text from United that reads, "Race with us through the clouds, not the airport. We're anticipating longer than usual security lines tomorrow, June 7, at Cleveland Hopkins International Airport. So, we recommend arriving at the airport at least two hours early to give yourself a little extra time before your flight."

I've never received a text like that before, and I just found it interesting. Does United do this often? Anybody have any ideas why security is supposed to be so bad tomorrow? It just struck me as weirdly random, although appreciated if true.
PBAudit likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 6:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Don't know details but this is a tweet from CLE yesterday:
The wait times at our checkpoints have increased and to better serve you we will begin to provide tips and reminders to ensure that your time at CLE is met with ease and convenience.
https://twitter.com/goingplacesCLE
Old Jun 6, 2019, 7:42 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by jed012788
I'm scheduled to fly from CLE tomorrow and just received a text from United that reads, "Race with us through the clouds, not the airport. We're anticipating longer than usual security lines tomorrow, June 7, at Cleveland Hopkins International Airport. So, we recommend arriving at the airport at least two hours early to give yourself a little extra time before your flight."

I've never received a text like that before, and I just found it interesting. Does United do this often? Anybody have any ideas why security is supposed to be so bad tomorrow? It just struck me as weirdly random, although appreciated if true.
I just looked at their Twitter page and didn't see anything unusual. Do you have PreCheck? I've never waited more than about 12 minutes to get through the PreCheck line (plus time for the inspection). Regular security can get quite a bit longer.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
United does this a lot in EWR.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 8:02 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The specific day is probably based on your travel day and with school summer vacations starting, there will be more families traveling (especially at the start if the weekend) and likely slower TSA lines. I have seen this message elsewhere due to holiday travel.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 8:50 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by aacharya
United does this a lot in EWR.
MCI as well.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis Preferred Plus
I received the same message yesterday for my flight today. Hopefully the pre-check line won't be affected.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 9:51 am

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
Cleveland has been brutal lately, especially in the morning. Used to be that their would be lines from open until about 5.30 AM for the first bank of 6 AM flights and then it would be fairly constant the rest of the day. Now the lines can be long until about 8 AM or so. More flights are being added at CLE from non-UA airlines combined with the first summer vacations (school let out in many areas on Tuesday) and the end of this week will not be fun.

Thank heavens they added Clear. It was definitely needed there.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 9:51 am

Programs: United, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz, National
I've received this message via text message or e-mail on every flight I've taken ex-CLE in the past month and the longest I've waited in the Pre-Check line was five minutes - which is typical for me. Friends and coworkers who have used the A and C security checkpoints haven't noticed any extra wait times, either.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Seems it was last week that agents from some airports were going to help with border security temporarily. Might this be the issue? I’m sure there is some political thread within Omni so keep politics where it belongs. Just curious if this might be having an impact as it wasn’t clear which airports agents would be pulled from.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 9:05 am

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis Preferred Plus
I haven't traveled out of CLE for a couple months. And while there was some minor road construction leading to the building itself and a few more non-business travelers in the airport, getting through security was even faster than normal.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: Marriot Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by jed012788

I had this happen to me on Monday, 5/20. Same airport. Never seen it before either. I have Pre check and it took me 5-10 minutes as normal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.