Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Biz class to Asia; UA vs NH vs OZ; What to choose?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Biz class to Asia; UA vs NH vs OZ; What to choose?

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2019, 6:46 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
NH without any hesitation. Have not had a bad flight over the past two years. Be adventurous and eat the japanese meal, especially out of Japan. Helps if you have been eating local while there
Old May 2, 2019, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
I recommend NH highly. I think it's the most consistently excellent business class service out there (warmer than SQ and just as well trained). Food is also excellent (and abundant). Hard product compares well to Polaris . . . footwell can be a little restrictive on the 77W and the cushion is a bit harder than UA's, but seats are private and overall comfortable. Lavs are kept absolutely spotless.
I largely concur with this:

Everything but the seat - NH.
Seat - UA Polaris

OP hasn't flown NH, so I would join the chorus and recommend that. I would suggest the 787 if an option -- at least the 787-9 has a much improved staggered seat with far less knee intrusion thanks to a refined table and monitor design. Not sure if that exists on the 788 as well.

If you had flown NH before and are focused on the sleep, as I am, I'd say UA first (as I always do as the resident contrarian on these threads).

Do watch out for the late night departures on NH as they often have a significantly reduced meal service - e.g. the LAX-HND flight
Old May 2, 2019, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Originally Posted by zrs70
op, where are you flying from?
EWR but JFK is also fine.

Originally Posted by wanderingkev
I am a major NH fan and have used them for 20 plus years ,to and from Japan and when I lived there as my primary internal and inter Asia carrier, good food, clean planes and great service.
Not sure about how long your layover is or how much you like walking, The Temple at Narita is 5 miles each direction
I take the train to Narita Village and then it's a pleasant walk through town to the temple.

Originally Posted by miasmal
No one in their right mind would choose UA business over NH business class. Just the food selection alone is worth NH ... must have the Ippudo ramen! I am guessing OP hub is EWR, not sure NH departs out of there but I know they go IAD-NRT.
They serve Ippudo ramen?! Heck, that seals the deal.

Originally Posted by cricketer
I largely concur with this:

Everything but the seat - NH.
Seat - UA Polaris

OP hasn't flown NH, so I would join the chorus and recommend that. I would suggest the 787 if an option -- at least the 787-9 has a much improved staggered seat with far less knee intrusion thanks to a refined table and monitor design. Not sure if that exists on the 788 as well.

If you had flown NH before and are focused on the sleep, as I am, I'd say UA first (as I always do as the resident contrarian on these threads).

Do watch out for the late night departures on NH as they often have a significantly reduced meal service - e.g. the LAX-HND flight
So I should try to get there by 789? Not sure if they fly JFK with that ship.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 2, 2019 at 9:05 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old May 2, 2019, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by elitefreak
They do, and it's good. I also really like Panda Express, which is great, because Ippudo and Panda are sister companies. I wonder how many people would be excited though, if an airline announced Panda Express on board.

(Yes, I know that's not a completely fair comparison)
Old May 2, 2019, 9:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
the 787-9 has a much improved staggered seat with far less knee intrusion thanks to a refined table and monitor design
789 staggered seat is less private than 77W version, but I agree the tray table on the 789 is much less intrusive on leg room.

Also agree the cushioning is a little hard on these seats compared to Polaris, even with their egg-crate mattress pad.
Old May 2, 2019, 9:47 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
They do, and it's good. I also really like Panda Express, which is great, because Ippudo and Panda are sister companies. I wonder how many people would be excited though, if an airline announced Panda Express on board.

(Yes, I know that's not a completely fair comparison)

Panda Express would be better than any meal I've had on United in the last 20 years. (it was different in the 90s).
iluv2fly, cfischer and spin88 like this.
Old May 2, 2019, 10:59 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by spin88
P.s. if you want to get out of NRT to see the town of Narita, you need something like 4-5 hours. Customs is usually quick, but its not like you can just walk out and hop on train, wonder around,and come back. Unlike HKG, its takes some time to get to/from the train, and customs can take some time (randomly IMHE).
the kesei line gets you between narita town and narita airport in ~10 minutes with lots of frequency. not that there's much to do in narita other than eat and walk around. 2.5-3 hour connection is sufficient as long as there's no immigration lineup.

ua polaris is awful when you look at nh or oz. i'm a big fan of oz, very good food and wines, and the 380 seat is ^
cfischer likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 4:09 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k, AA Plat
BR. Hands down BR.
cfischer likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 4:24 am

Originally Posted by porciuscato
Panda Express would be better than any meal I've had on United in the last 20 years. (it was different in the 90s).
Well, as I said, I quite like Panda Express. I think it would hold up well in the air as well. As long as nobody pretends that it's Chinese Food, it's a winner.

The 90's were good on UA. No footwell or knee-room issues on the barcaloungers, and some pretty solid meals up front.

Originally Posted by Unionruler
BR. Hands down BR.
Fair enough. Given the option and no time constraints, I'd do that for sure. I'm assuming the OP doesn't want to route via TPE though.
Old May 3, 2019, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

EWR but JFK is also fine.

I take the train to Narita Village and then it's a pleasant walk through town to the temple.

So I should try to get there by 789? Not sure if they fly JFK with that ship.
Ippudo is somewhat commonplace in Japan, I would say. It is quite good of course, but it is not the trendy rarity there that it is in NYC and outside of Japan. So it might not seem very surprising that ANA has a partnership with them.

Here is a press release I just turned up (about premium economy, but with reference to first / business):
ANA will Start Serving Famous IPPUDO Ramen in Premium Economy
Old May 3, 2019, 7:09 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
Maybe NH will fly EWR-HND by the time OP takes his business trip (referring to the new round of HND slot awards), allowing for the most ideal EWR-HND-GMP itinerary
Old May 3, 2019, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
Originally Posted by fumje
Ippudo is somewhat commonplace in Japan, I would say. It is quite good of course, but it is not the trendy rarity there that it is in NYC and outside of Japan. So it might not seem very surprising that ANA has a partnership with them.

Here is a press release I just turned up (about premium economy, but with reference to first / business):
ANA will Start Serving Famous IPPUDO Ramen in Premium Economy
So is the ramen offered as mid flight snack? OZ has a great version too.
Old May 3, 2019, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
For a trip to Seoul, take OZ, none of the other products are worth adding a stop.
Old May 3, 2019, 5:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mduell
For a trip to Seoul, take OZ, none of the other products are worth adding a stop.
+1. Connecting in NRT was cool when I was in my 20s, but I now prefer nonstops whenever possible (i.e. saving 4 hours beats spending 2 hours in a lounge eating sushi, and drinking beer).
Old May 3, 2019, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
So is the ramen offered as mid flight snack? OZ has a great version too.
Yes, you can browse NH menu here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.