Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Biz class to Asia; UA vs NH vs OZ; What to choose?

Old May 2, 2019, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member

Traveling in the fall to Seoul on business and willing to go direct or via Tokyo. While UA gets me lifetime miles, I'm already 1MM. I've done OZ in the upper cabin of the A380 and it's quite nice. But I was tempted to try NH (never flew) via Tokyo.

Forgetting the inconvenience you may perceive (I would probably walk over to Narita Temple during the layover), talk me into trying NH. OZ is the best price, followed by NH. UA is quite a bit more expensive.
Old May 2, 2019, 7:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I recommend NH highly. I think it's the most consistently excellent business class service out there (warmer than SQ and just as well trained). Food is also excellent (and abundant). Hard product compares well to Polaris . . . footwell can be a little restrictive on the 77W and the cushion is a bit harder than UA's, but seats are private and overall comfortable. Lavs are kept absolutely spotless.
Old May 2, 2019, 8:04 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Who knows where/how OZ will be this fall. Given the financial straits that it's currently navigating, fall is a long time from now. IMO, if you prefer certainty, that's all the reason you need to go NH. If you like some adventure, try OZ before they change forever.
Old May 2, 2019, 10:07 am

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by elitefreak
Traveling in the fall to Seoul on business and willing to go direct or via Tokyo. While UA gets me lifetime miles, I'm already 1MM. I've done OZ in the upper cabin of the A380 and it's quite nice. But I was tempted to try NH (never flew) via Tokyo.

Forgetting the inconvenience you may perceive (I would probably walk over to Narita Temple during the layover), talk me into trying NH. OZ is the best price, followed by NH. UA is quite a bit more expensive.
I am a major NH fan and have used them for 20 plus years ,to and from Japan and when I lived there as my primary internal and inter Asia carrier, good food, clean planes and great service.
Not sure about how long your layover is or how much you like walking, The Temple at Narita is 5 miles each direction
Old May 2, 2019, 11:17 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by Kacee
I recommend NH highly. I think it's the most consistently excellent business class service out there (warmer than SQ and just as well trained). Food is also excellent (and abundant). Hard product compares well to Polaris . . . footwell can be a little restrictive on the 77W and the cushion is a bit harder than UA's, but seats are private and overall comfortable. Lavs are kept absolutely spotless.
I will second the NH recommendation. Food, service, seat is all top notch. Lounges at NRT and HND are great. I am not bothered by the warmer cabin as I taken international flights in shorts, that appears to be the only real knock I hear on them (other than the "where is my rubber steak and potatoes" crowd, and the "seat is too hard").

I also think OZ is a great carrier, good service, good food, and the A380 is a wonderful plane. The only thing I would say is sub-par on OZ is their lounges are no where near as nice as ANAs, but that is only an issue if you are connecting, or on the return flight.

Both are vastly supperior to UA in Y from the US (outside of the few ANA 10x 77Ws), and substantially better in J than UA.

P.s. if you want to get out of NRT to see the town of Narita, you need something like 4-5 hours. Customs is usually quick, but its not like you can just walk out and hop on train, wonder around,and come back. Unlike HKG, its takes some time to get to/from the train, and customs can take some time (randomly IMHE).
Admiral Ackbar and elitefreak like this.
Old May 2, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA-Plat, UA-MM, Hertz PC, HH, APEC ABTC
I think that NH in Business is quite excellent. But if I had to choose NH economy vs. United Econ (especially Econ+) then the winner would be United. NH Economy seats don't really recline. Instead, the seat and back cushions 'rotate' within the shell of the seat back. The result is that your hips go forward, but your shoulders do not go backward. And what little legroom existed at the outset is further reduced. As a large framed westerner, this does not work for.
Old May 2, 2019, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by elitefreak
UA is quite a bit more expensive.
If you're not chasing a specific status (past Gold), and the schedule & airports of alternate airlines work, there's no need to waste good money!

Enjoy non-UA!
Old May 2, 2019, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
op, where are you flying from?
Old May 2, 2019, 5:35 pm

NH for sure.
So much better than UA.
OZ is good too but u already tried that.

Friends dont let friends fly UA.
Old May 2, 2019, 5:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by narvik
If you're not chasing a specific status (past Gold), and the schedule & airports of alternate airlines work, there's no need to waste good money!
!
Unless OPM (think Mileage accrual).
Old May 2, 2019, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
Just reiterating the above comments but since you don't mind the inconvenience, then you should try NH. Wonderful crew, great food and solid lounges. I am a big fan of OZ too - hope the company remains for my 2 upcoming flights in October, but I digress.

Bottom line: NH/OZ > UA

Have fun!
elitefreak and porciuscato like this.
Old May 2, 2019, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by tvhead
I think that NH in Business is quite excellent. But if I had to choose NH economy vs. United Econ (especially Econ+) then the winner would be United. NH Economy seats don't really recline. Instead, the seat and back cushions 'rotate' within the shell of the seat back. The result is that your hips go forward, but your shoulders do not go backward. And what little legroom existed at the outset is further reduced. As a large framed westerner, this does not work for.
The thread title is Biz Class......

OP: Without doubt, NH is the way to go, you'll have zero regrets.
elitefreak likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 6:29 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I like NH business but it has two drawbacks, neither of which is disqualifying IMO:

1. They are determined to turn on the cabin lights at least 2 1/2 hours before arrival. This is way, way too soon (JL is even worse, maybe it is a cultural thing). If you want to sleep, make sure to leave your eyeshades on.

2. Their idea of what constitutes a western meal choice frequently doesn't coincide with what I think is western cuisine. But you'll still manage to find something you can deal with and their snack options are pretty good even if you don't.
Old May 2, 2019, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
No one in their right mind would choose UA business over NH business class. Just the food selection alone is worth NH ... must have the Ippudo ramen! I am guessing OP hub is EWR, not sure NH departs out of there but I know they go IAD-NRT.
Admiral Ackbar likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by RichardInSF

2. Their idea of what constitutes a western meal choice frequently doesn't coincide with what I think is western cuisine. But you'll still manage to find something you can deal with and their snack options are pretty good even if you don't.
I have the same view of the UA meals

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.