Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What happened to the a350 order?

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2019, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
I haven't had the (dis)pleasure of flying the 781 J seat yet.
I have .... find it downright comical to call the 781 J seat bad or displeasurable. It was quite comfortable - I'd have no problem circling the globe in it.

Now, back to the topic at hand.... I'm not an Airbus fan, but I don't necessarily see the A350 order staying as-is. I see it as a pending new A321neo fleet - would let them sunset the 757's which are getting quite long in the tooth.
Old May 8, 2019, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dmurphynj
I have .... find it downright comical to call the 781 J seat bad or displeasurable. It was quite comfortable - I'd have no problem circling the globe in it.
Fair; I'll reserve judgement, then. I just find the 77W Polaris seats tight, so I expect the 781 seats to be worse. . I hope you're correct. (They couldn't possibly be worse than the SQ A359 J seats -- but then, I don't see any chance that UA would use those seats, so it's not really relevant to a conversation of the pros and cons of the A359 itself).
dmurphynj likes this.
Old May 8, 2019, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Yes, it is pure speculation, based upon their repeated failure to take delivery of an Airbus widebody. I believe any pro-Airbus statements are nothing but a negotiating tactic, especially public ones.

I may be proven wrong. I don't care for the A350 myself, but then again, I haven't had the (dis)pleasure of flying the 781 J seat yet. Since UA will presumably try to squeeze 1-2-1 Polaris seating into the A350 (if they were to accept it), I imagine it'd be somewhat less cramped.

I continue to believe that the likely 772 replacement is the 77X. I think Boeing would like customers to take the 777X as a 772 replacement, but the capacity seems wrong. I think UA would be interested in the 777-7X, but that one doesn't seem to be on the table.
The 777X was built to Emirates specs as an A380 killer, and I just don’t think United needs such a heavy, expensive, capable airplane (of either variant).

The A350 as currently conceived just isn’t as efficient as the 789 on similar missions, and so with the 789 already in the fleet, along with a decade of life left in fully-depreciated 77Es, it doesn’t make a great deal of sense for United to invest in today’s 350-900/1000. That’s the impression I get from UA management.

A 777-7X is right capacity-wise, but as a shrink it would be so heavy as to make it a guaranteed loser.

All bets are off if Boeing develops a 787-10ER, but that would require much more engineering work than simply adding fuel tanks because the landing gear structure is at or near its limit. It would be interesting to see what Boeing developed for its Project Sunrise entry...

jsloan and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old May 8, 2019, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm guessing you have not flown the 781 in J. It's too narrow for the Polaris seat, to the point I'll avoid the refitted 787s in long-haul. The 350 has a wider cabin and the Polaris seat will fit better.

The Airbuses are also quieter than the Boeings.
the seat itself is the same on 787 and 777. So the only sacrifice might be aisle width. So not sure how the narrower fuselage impacts your comfort in the seat?
Fair; I'll reserve judgement, then. I just find the 77W Polaris seats tight, so I expect the 781 seats to be worse. . I hope you're correct. (They couldn't possibly be worse than the SQ A359 J seats -- but then, I don't see any chance that UA would use those seats, so it's not really relevant to a conversation of the pros and cons of the A359 itself).
its the same seat on the 777 and 787, so it should be a consistent experience from that perspective.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 8, 2019 at 6:03 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old May 8, 2019, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ASA_1
its the same seat on the 777 and 787, so it should be a consistent experience from that perspective.
No, it isn't. It can't be, because the 787 cabin is substantially narrower. They couldn't fit a 1x2x1 layout with the same seat. Instead, the angles are different and the seat itself is narrower. United claims that the 77W seats are 22" wide, and lists the 781 seats as 20.5" wide.
Old May 8, 2019, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Having flown both, there is no doubt the 78J seat is unquestionably narrower.
Old May 8, 2019, 5:20 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP

the seat itself is the same on 787 and 777. So the only sacrifice might be aisle width. So not sure how the narrower fuselage impacts your comfort in the seat?
Polaris 787 seat is noticeably narrower than 777, narrow shoulder width and also narrow seat exit (in window or interior seat). I would still fly it as I'm not that large and can sleep fine in it. It's not as narrow as SQ 78J seat though.
Old May 8, 2019, 6:07 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
UA's published numbers
787-10 United Polaris® business class Seat width 20.5" (52 cm)
772/773 United Polaris® business class Seat width 22" (55.9 cm)
ContinentalFan and schley like this.
Old May 8, 2019, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
FWIW (not much), my son and I were at the MileagePlus Exclusives simulator event at the Denver training center Friday, and the facility chief casually mentioned they’d ordered a 350 simulator and have a spot for it among their 30+ other ones (320/737/767/777/787).
The event/day was fantastic though! 😀

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 8, 2019 at 9:26 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old May 8, 2019, 10:01 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
And as a comparison with the old

772 (pmUA/IPTE) = 19-19.6”
772 (pmCO/Diamond) = 22”
788/789 (Diamond) = 20.6”
763 (Diamond) = 20.6”

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...t/default.aspx
cesco.g and UA_Flyer like this.
Old May 9, 2019, 6:31 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by tcdtcd
FWIW (not much), my son and I were at the MileagePlus Exclusives simulator event at the Denver training center Friday, and the facility chief casually mentioned they’d ordered a 350 simulator and have a spot for it among their 30+ other ones (320/737/767/777/787).
The event/day was fantastic though! 😀
IIRC, the A350 sim was ordered and there was a definitive date a year or two ago when it should have been delivered. it never showed up, and it’s still not there.
Old May 9, 2019, 8:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
The seat is sub-par compared to the competition. I will book away for long-haul, including selecting other carriers that have not tried to jam too many seats into not enough space.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 9, 2019 at 12:55 pm Reason: discuss the issues; not the poster(s)
Old May 9, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by Kacee
The seat is sub-par compared to the competition. I will book away for long-haul, including selecting other carriers that have not tried to jam too many seats into not enough space.
And I might add that the Polaris seat on the 777 is IMHE not exactly wide in the shoulder. I like the odd # windows, but other than that the seat is nothing to write home about. I will have a hard time on a narrower version of that seat. And BTB, other than the first row, I have a problem with the sCO seat on the 787, where it is perfectly fine on the 777 (other than not being direct aisle access.

The reality is that Americans are on average big people and there is an over-index of big men in J on US carriers. It seems like going up against AA and DL which have bigger seats with enough room, with a squeezed down seat, especially on the ULR flights that UA flies on the 787, is not such a hot plan long term.

It reminds me of ITPE, where the seat was leading when it came out (Polaris is not) but by the time they were done with the retrofit, the narrowness was an issue compared to competitor seats. And given that UA's soft product and service is far behind the curve, with a lot of people on this board saying they will only take UA due to the 777 Polaris seat, I wonder how locking in a narrower version of this long term will play.

It maybe that United is simply not trying to compete for unmanaged traffic, and that their plans are all aimed at delivering as low of cost product for Corporate Accounts as possible. But I just don't see that this is a workable approach, especially when the next downturn comes around.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 9, 2019 at 12:56 pm Reason: quote update to reflect Moderator edit
Old May 9, 2019, 8:44 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by riphamilton

IIRC, the A350 sim was ordered and there was a definitive date a year or two ago when it should have been delivered. it never showed up, and it’s still not there.
No reason to have a sim in place if there won't be a flow of pilots putting it to use, and I doubt contract training for the 350 would be a great business source in the interim, given the relative paucity of operators without in-house flight training.

Originally Posted by spin88
It maybe that United is simply not trying to compete for unmanaged traffic, and that their plans are all aimed at delivering as low of cost product for Corporate Accounts as possible. But I just don't see that this is a workable approach, especially when the next downturn comes around.
Maybe if you keep saying it, one day it will come true.
Old May 9, 2019, 1:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k SPG Platinum
Lets hope United swaps the A350 for the "C-series", or A220, at least 100 of those planes would be amazing!
Oh and for what its worth the J seat on SQ A350 is crap, I would take the new Polaris seat any day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.