Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

IAD Polaris Lounge to open 21 October 2021?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAD Polaris Lounge to open 21 October 2021?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2019, 5:48 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies

Subpar?? I’d argue the TK lounge is the best *A lounge at IAD. LH is close behind, followed by the various UA lounges. I’m sure Polaris will be nicer than TK, but I don’t see what makes TK subpar. A variety of hot food, the bar, and comfortable seating makes it a great place to go.
Not to get this thread too far off topic but I just am not impressed with the TK or LH lounges. The quality of food and beverages has gone down substantially, especially LH, over the past several years. The lounges are often crowded and very little space. Agree that UA's food offerings leave much to be desired but I'm not sure they are that much worse than TK or LH.

My point being the Polaris Lounge will be superior by all measures and will save people the trek from A/B terminal to C/D terminal.
cur likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC

Subpar?? I’d argue the TK lounge is the best *A lounge at IAD. LH is close behind, followed by the various UA lounges. I’m sure Polaris will be nicer than TK, but I don’t see what makes TK subpar. A variety of hot food, the bar, and comfortable seating makes it a great place to go.
Every time I've been to the TK lounge it has been filled to the brim with people. If you can find a seat, it's not bad, but it's hardly an oasis of tranquility.
MrGood likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mh3265a
Not to get this thread too far off topic but I just am not impressed with the TK or LH lounges. ....
Appears that has already occurred. The is a great thread for discussing the present lounges at IAD, https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ad-lounge.html, and separate threads for the TK and LH lounges -- those are better threads for those discussions and no need to derail the discussion of the future IAD Polaris lounge.

This thread is about the future Polaris Lounge at IAD, let's return to that discussion.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Apr 25, 2019, 8:06 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
This was the scene at the future location of the IAD Polaris Lounge just before 5 p.m. Wednesday. Exciting, isn't it?

Old Apr 26, 2019, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Hopefully construction begins quickly- doesn’t seem like much happens very fast at IAD.
am1108 likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 3:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Hopefully construction begins quickly- doesn’t seem like much happens very fast at IAD.
When it comes to airport construction, I'm not sure anything happens fast pretty much anywhere. IAD is not unique in that respect.

I would assume this club will end up opening much later than planned; never seen a club (not just United) open on it's originally announced timeline. But hopefully I'll be wrong.

Of course, I'm sure we'll soon begin to see the requisite "I'm flying through IAD in X of 2020, will the new Polaris Lounge be open by then?" posts going forward...

Regards
am1108 likes this.

Last edited by scubadu; Apr 27, 2019 at 6:08 am
Old Apr 27, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
I seem to recall the SFO/EWR/IAH Polaris lounges opening on-time. The IAD lounge will be a big undertaking though so probably 12/31/20? This is new construction and will have to fit in whatever MWAA/UA decide as the new C/D terminal. Will be interesting to see how the architects/engineers design some sort of modular feature that allows the lounge to shift between the old and new C/D.

And yes, I understand the improbability of the new terminal happening any time soon - may be the timeline will rival the Second Avenue subway here in NYC.

Originally Posted by scubadu
When it comes to airport construction, I'm not sure anything happens fast pretty much anywhere. IAD is not unique in that respect.

I would assume this club will end up opening much later than planned; never seen a club (not just United) open on it's originally announced timeline. But hopefully I'll be wrong.

Of course, I'm sure we'll soon begin to see the requisite "I'm flying through IAD in X of 2020, will the new Polaris Lounge be open by then?" posts going forward...

Regards
Old Apr 27, 2019, 11:59 am

Programs: UA GS, Delta PM/2MM, Marriott Ambassador Elite/Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond

Unless/until you need to find a power outlet.

I will highly value the showers in the Polaris lounge when it shows up.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by 764toHI
I seem to recall the SFO/EWR/IAH Polaris lounges opening on-time.
That’s not my recollection. From the initial announcement of Polaris thru the opening of the ORD Polaris lounge in late-2016, all of the remaining Polaris lounges (including yet-to-open IAD, NRT, LHR, HKG) were supposed to have opened by late-2017. Clearly that did not happen and even the SFO, EWR, and IAH lounges did not open on time and were delayed into 2018 openings. After ORD it took another 16 months until the next lounge (SFO) was opened. The IAD lounge opening was further pushed back to mid-2018 and then late-2018 before UA eliminated the public timeline altogether. Knowing how MWAA functions, I think any opening date in 2020 is probably optimistic for the IAD lounge. Much like the aircraft retrofits, we’re probably looking at a 5-6 year period between the initial Polaris announcement and the time at which all planned aircraft and airports have the Polaris product.

-FlyerBeek
Old Apr 28, 2019, 3:58 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
From the initial announcement of Polaris thru the opening of the ORD Polaris lounge in late-2016, all of the remaining Polaris lounges (including yet-to-open IAD, NRT, LHR, HKG) were supposed to have opened by late-2017. Clearly that did not happen and even the SFO, EWR, and IAH lounges did not open on time and were delayed into 2018 openings. After ORD it took another 16 months until the next lounge (SFO) was opened.
I thought much of that post-ORD delay was caused by UA not realizing how crowded the ORD lounge would get and having to redesign the other lounges for more traffic. But either way, at least at IAD you're not trying to build a new lounge in place of an existing one.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 6:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by 764toHI
I seem to recall the SFO/EWR/IAH Polaris lounges opening on-time
Ummm... you have a very different definition of "on-time" than many of us do, but I guess it all depends when you believe the clock started.

But FlyerBeek covered it pretty well in their post, so I'll leave it at that.

Regards
Old Jun 22, 2019, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Amex Plat
Looks like the Polaris tracker now shows IAD as "Under construction"!
view.ceros.com/united/polaris-tracker-desktop-4/p/2
am1108 likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 1:16 pm

Just saw that too.
Anyone has more insights or a date/location?
I was at IAD yesterday and could ‘t see anything
Old Jun 24, 2019, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
If you look to the right out the window just before you descend the escalator from the concourse to the C/D Aerotrain, you can see the foundation being prepared for the structure that will house the new baggage system on the ground level and Polaris Lounge on the upper level.

The lounge itself is a long way from being under construction in its own right, but it's very much a from-scratch structure, so there's no doubt that things are finally underway.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 10:47 am

IAD
7 July 2019

UA_Flyer, SF_DUKE, Duke777 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by FlyingHighlander; Jul 7, 2019 at 8:44 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.