Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chicago or Newark for connection

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2023, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by angetenar
Contrary to the opinion of others here, I would pick EWR. The AMS-EWR flight arrives at C and is essentially the first international arriving flight of the day, so immigration will be completely empty. For reference, with GE, Clear/Precheck and traveling HBO, it only took 15 minutes for me to deplane, go through immigration/customs/security, and head back to the Polaris lounge.
With GE and carryons only, it really doesn't matter which terminal the plane lands in. Even during rush hours and sometimes long walk from arrival gate to immigration, I have never spent more than 10 minutes to landside in any of the 20+ international arrival airports/terminals, including EWR, ORD, but also other airport entry points throughout the country (JFK, MCO, LAX, SFO, SEA, IAH, DFW, SAN, PHL, MIA, FLL, etc). JFK alone I have "entered" the country in T1, T4, T5, T7, and T8.

Why use EWR if the OP's final destination is in the Midwest?
Old Mar 18, 2023, 11:08 am

Programs: UA GOLD (1MM)
Thanks for all the comments so far - very helpful. I am in fact headed west, so ORD seems to make the most sense - the T5 part does suck but I think the bus terminal transfer option is available again vs the train, so hopefully it won't be so bad
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
I really, really, really despise returning to the US via ORD when I am traveling onward from there. The whole T5 part is such a buzzkill. Moreover, to access an onward connection, you have to enter security at T1 with everyone else. As a result, one has to allow a lot of time to connect from an international flight for it not to be a stressful situation. So, in this case, I'd definitely pick EWR over ORD. It's one of the few situations in which I would say that.

Living in southern California, my preference is to enter the country via SFO or LAX (and there are so few direct TATLs to LAX, SFO is usually the option). But if I must route through an East Coast hub, IAD is my preference. Mid-field security there streamlines the connection so much.
SPN Lifer, ZenFlyer, jb64 and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by salty749
Thanks for all the comments so far - very helpful. I am in fact headed west, so ORD seems to make the most sense - the T5 part does suck but I think the bus terminal transfer option is available again vs the train, so hopefully it won't be so bad
You will be landside upon clearing immigration and custom, so the train will be your best option. Just take the short escalator up 1 level and make sure you board the right train - one side goes to rental car/lt parking, and the other goes to T3, T2, T1 (in that order)

I am ex-NYC, but will go to through any airport which will save me money. If you are headed further west, there is no reason to go through EWR and have a longer domestic flight unless you are saving a ton of money.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 5:12 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium / LT Plat
Just as an FYI, I connected ORD in December and took me ~25 minutes from landing to when I was putting my carry on bag on the TSA PreCheck belt at T1… I wrote about it here.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34845239-post1639.html
AirbusFan2B likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 12:02 pm

Quick update - there is now an option to connect through IAH (1:53 connection time) - would anyone recommend that option over the ORD/EWR options?
Old Mar 20, 2023, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
IAH has far fewer intl long haul arrivals, so customs/immigration is easier than ORD/EWR. And it’s unlikely you’ll need a train transit to onward gate.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quick update - there is now an option to connect through IAH (1:53 connection time) - would anyone recommend that option over the ORD/EWR options?
That's a little tight for me. What's your final destination? That would probably factor in for me were I making this decision.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tcdtcd
IAH has far fewer intl long haul arrivals, so customs/immigration is easier than ORD/EWR. And it’s unlikely you’ll need a train transit to onward gate.
And even if you did need a train, that would all be airside.
tcdtcd likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 12:19 pm

Denver and then on to Jackson Hole
Old Mar 20, 2023, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA
I would not favor IAH, having recently done a I->D connection. Customs is nice and empty, but because of the construction, the TSA checkpoint that you get to just by following the signs for connecting flights doesn't have precheck so you either need to deal with that or find some other tsa checkpoint.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime 1K, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HH Diamond, Delta Base, AA Base
Originally Posted by angetenar
I would not favor IAH, having recently done a I->D connection. Customs is nice and empty, but because of the construction, the TSA checkpoint that you get to just by following the signs for connecting flights doesn't have precheck so you either need to deal with that or find some other tsa checkpoint.
During the time when I was not based here, I rarely had issues with IAH connections. As noted, dedicated TSA checkpoint for international arrivals and no pre-check line. But outside that, it's pretty efficient. CBP for me lately has been very quick with mobile passport. If the TSA connections lines are overwhelming, then exit before that and take the underground tram over to Terminal C or D check-in (even Terminal B). The impact of the current construction is that there is no current Terminal E check-in outside of the connection desks. I personally would take IAH.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
For me it all depends on the time of the year.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by iapetus
I really, really, really despise returning to the US via ORD when I am traveling onward from there. The whole T5 part is such a buzzkill. Moreover, to access an onward connection, you have to enter security at T1 with everyone else. As a result, one has to allow a lot of time to connect from an international flight for it not to be a stressful situation. So, in this case, I'd definitely pick EWR over ORD. It's one of the few situations in which I would say that.

Living in southern California, my preference is to enter the country via SFO or LAX (and there are so few direct TATLs to LAX, SFO is usually the option). But if I must route through an East Coast hub, IAD is my preference. Mid-field security there streamlines the connection so much.
FYI the airside inter-terminal shuttle just opened again in both directions. So you now have the choice of going through security right there in T5 and taking shuttle to T1 or you can take the train and go through security at T1. The train as of a few weeks ago is now running at full speed and much faster.

Also, I'm surprised you have issues at T1... my experience is that with a huge Precheck area and a separate Priority non-precheck area, there's usually never a wait.
iapetus and tcdtcd like this.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scruffair
Also, I'm surprised you have issues at T1... my experience is that with a huge Precheck area and a separate Priority non-precheck area, there's usually never a wait.
Maybe things are running much more smoothly at ORD security these days. That would be a good thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.