Chicago or Newark for connection

Old Apr 12, 2019, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Chicago or Newark for connection

Family of four traveling to Maui in August (snow should not be a factor on this trip). We are flying out of Halifax Nova Scotia. I have a choice in connections that get me to Maui at the same time for the same price. All flights are with UNITED.

6:23 AM Halifax - O'hare (1hour) Boeing 777-Honolulu (2h28)- Maui
6:23 AM Halifax - Newark (3h30) Boeing 777- San Francisco (1h) Boeing 737- Maui
6:23 AM Halifax - Newark (3h30) Boeing 757- San Francisco (1h) Boeing 737- Maui

What factors should I consider in choosing which flights?

Last edited by ginettem; Apr 12, 2019 at 7:51 am Reason: Added a third alternative including type of aircarft
Old Apr 12, 2019, 6:52 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
If you sit in Economy, take EWR-HNL because seats on B767 are more comfortable. I know that ORD-OGG is on the high density B777. I would avoid this aircraft.
Also, the short hop from HNL to OGG is fun, too.
Good luck.

Edit: I was talking about a third option: YHZ-EWR-HNL-OGG. You may get there earlier than the other two.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 7:27 am

Programs: UA MM
The flights from O'Hare to both Honolulu and Maui (this second one was not one of your stated options) are on 10-across 777s. Not a popular aircraft. The routing through Newark and San Francisco is on a 757 (both of those segments if I guess the right flight times). It's not a great one, either, but less unloved than the high density 777s out of O'Hare. If you can get the O'Hare to Maui nonstop for the same price then you have more to think about as it's certainly shorter in total time. Otherwise, Newark and San Francisco is probably less torturous.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
EWR has a 764 non-stop. I guess too early for a connection...
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:16 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AA 2MM
You might also consider what kind of plane you are on from Nova Scotia to EWR and where it would arrive. If it is a small regional jet, you might arrive at EWR in Terminal A and leave from Terminal C, which would then necessitate taking a bus from A to C, but can add 15-20 minutes to the time it takes to get to your connecting flight.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Family of 4, especially if the kids are smaller, I would pick the 777 so you all can sit together. Yes the seats are a bit too narrow but smaller kids in the middle seats make up for it somewhat. You then arent dealing with 2 pairs or one parent having to deal with the kids solo while the other observes from across the aisle (or blissfully sleeps unaware)

if these are teenagers then that isnt a consideration, in which case 767>757>737.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Presumably the YHZ-ORD leg does not arrive in Terminal 5? 'Cause if it does, that's a complete non-starter. 1 hour would never be enough time (and based on that connection time alone, I would assume that YHZ-ORD does not arrive in Terminal 5).
Old Apr 12, 2019, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by iapetus
Presumably the YHZ-ORD leg does not arrive in Terminal 5? 'Cause if it does, that's a complete non-starter. 1 hour would never be enough time (and based on that connection time alone, I would assume that YHZ-ORD does not arrive in Terminal 5).
YHZ- ORD flights all arrive T1.

edit: or T2 but it's pretty much all the same thing.

Last edited by JimInOhio; Apr 12, 2019 at 10:48 am Reason: added content
Old Apr 12, 2019, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by iapetus
im almost positive YHZ has pre-clearance, so theyd clear US CBP there, and likely arrive in T1 (or potentially T2 if CR7 or smaller).

Id almost always opt for ORD over EWR, unless there is a huge advantage to EWR. I find he EWR experience awful, and that was before the airport was infected with the OTG experience. Much better food options at ORD. Connection time could be a factor though, particularly with kids (though you dont mention ages). That said, the double-connection via EWR and SFO, as well as the 3 and a half hour connection would make me balk If traveling with the kids, especially if they are younger (though if it was just me, that part wouldn't bother me, assuming I have the time). And I just realized its a double connection anyway. 1 hour is probably less than ideal at ORD with kids, but still better than 3 and a half hours at EWR (with my kids, 4 and 1, Ive done just under an hour and it works if everythings on time, but prefer in the 1-2 hour range ideally - 3.5 and its a struggle to keep them entertained between flights). Both airports can be prone to weather, particularly thunderstorms in the summer months, but IME, EWR can be way worse - a bit of wind can cause ground delays really quickly. Plus, presumably there are alternates via SFO/LAX if for some reason you miss the ORD nonstop (though presumably true via EWR as well).

Aircraft has already been mentioned, but personally, I dont notice the width difference too much. As already mentioned, 10-across can be seen as a positive when traveling in a party of 4, assuming you can snag a center section for the fam.

Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by ginettem
Family of four traveling to Maui in August (snow should not be a factor on this trip). We are flying out of Halifax Nova Scotia. I have a choice in connections that get me to Maui at the same time for the same price. All flights are with UNITED.

6:23 AM Halifax - O'hare (1hour) Boeing 777-Honolulu (2h28)- Maui
6:23 AM Halifax - Newark (3h30) Boeing 777- San Francisco (1h) Boeing 737- Maui
6:23 AM Halifax - Newark (3h30) Boeing 757- San Francisco (1h) Boeing 737- Maui

What factors should I consider in choosing which flights?
I'd go with the ORD option. Fewer connections = few hassles and less chances of delays. Plus, Newark and San Francisco are both delay prone airports any time of the year. O'Hare isn't much better but at least it's one less connection to deal with.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
I would go through ORD for a couple of reasons.

ORD doesn't have as many congestion delays as EWR and, in the options you present, it eliminates as extra leg (2 vs 3 legs).
Old Apr 12, 2019, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by Austin787
I'd go with the ORD option. Fewer connections = few hassles and less chances of delays. Plus, Newark and San Francisco are both delay prone airports any time of the year. O'Hare isn't much better but at least it's one less connection to deal with.
O'Hare is still the same number of connections unless the OP can switch to the nonstop to OGG (bypassing HNL). Agree with others... the 10-across 777 might work well if you want to be together despite it being a rather unloved aircraft by frequent flyers.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, LH Senator *Gold, AA EXP OWE Hyatt Globalist
I'm assuming that OP is talking about Economy. That's a long, long trip in the back of the bus. Not sure what fare OP is looking at but there are some pretty cheap Business/First fares from eastern Canada. As low as $1,041 including stopovers.

Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
YHZ- ORD flights all arrive T1.
I was thinking that was probably so. In that case, I'll add my vote in with the ORD crowd.

Unless, of course, the amount of PQM earned matters here!
Old Apr 12, 2019, 1:12 pm

I would go with O'Hare also. It is a much better connecting point with less congestion problems in the morning departure group west bound

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.