Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LX (Swiss) Phantom Award Space

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2016, 8:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by transportprof
what does surprise me is the unwillingness to open up a seat in I (J cabin) on some UA TATL flight - SFO-FRA or SFO-LHR would be my first ask. Then a nice shower in the lounge and a short Y (X) flight to ZRH on LX or LH. Alternatively, something out of ORD, with a UA connection at one end and an LX or LH connection at the other would still work.

Perhaps a request through 1K Voice could help?
Yes I am surprised as well. I'd probably try calling a couple of times. As 1K, I always had success getting award space opened by phone agents (w/supervisor approval) when there was a UA caused problem.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Well I lost my 1k status (need to update profile ) I switched over to AA few years back. I am million Miller Gold now maybe that's why they sort of brushed me off
Old Jun 5, 2016, 12:27 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cbrown5294
Well I lost my 1k status (need to update profile ) I switched over to AA few years back. I am million Miller Gold now maybe that's why they sort of brushed me off
That would explain the lack of a proactive resolution. Without status at United, you're dependent on the "kindness of strangers". And that is in pretty short supply these days.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 1:41 pm
Suspended

I recently took advantage of the small arbitrage window and booked LX F using UAMP ... Ticketed immediately, even with subsequent amendments to the ticket

LAX-ZRH in LX F is 110k, but after amending, now it's

LAX-(LX F)-ZRH-FRA-(NH F)-HND for the exact same 110k

Hopefully I'll submit a trip report
Old Jun 5, 2016, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by jeedk
I recently took advantage of the small arbitrage window and booked LX F using UAMP ... Ticketed immediately, even with subsequent amendments to the ticket

Well played, sir! ^
Old Jun 5, 2016, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA MM GS, Marriott Titanium

Is that still possible and if so how? I thought LX F inventory isn't even bookable anymore with UA miles. Will never forget my honeymoon flight on LX F and would love to book it again.
And what is this amendment strategy?
Thanks
Old Jun 5, 2016, 2:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FTLexMUC
Is that still possible and if so how? I thought LX F inventory isn't even bookable anymore with UA miles. Will never forget my honeymoon flight on LX F and would love to book it again.
And what is this amendment strategy?
Thanks
Normally it's impossible, but for about 3 hours last Thursday around early afternoon, LX accidentally published bookable inventory for UA and AC mileage members (my friend tried AV lifemiles didn't work) most were phantom inventory but i found the real one. And to boot, it's the new product on 777-300ER.

And it's not really "amendment" but simply extending the one way trip from LAX ZRH out to LAX ZRH HND - a super long way from LA to Tokyo, but get to experience 2 of the best F products within the alliance for the exact same number of miles ($0 change fee for 1K)
Old Jun 5, 2016, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
That would explain the lack of a proactive resolution. Without status at United, you're dependent on the "kindness of strangers". And that is in pretty short supply these days.
Yea pretty much , I guess my Gold status and being a MM does not mean anything , like the old saying what have you done for me lately 🤔
Old Jun 5, 2016, 3:10 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Normally it's impossible, but for about 3 hours last Thursday around early afternoon, LX accidentally published bookable inventory for UA and AC mileage members (my friend tried AV lifemiles didn't work) most were phantom inventory but i found the real one. And to boot, it's the new product on 777-300ER.
There is a very good chance LX will cancel those tickets.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
There is a very good chance LX will cancel those tickets.
If LX does cancel, and if miles and taxes were deducted/charged, does OP have grounds for a DOT complaint? Would this remedy likely achieve anything?
Old Jun 5, 2016, 3:39 pm

If LX does cancel, and if miles and taxes were deducted/charged, does OP have grounds for a DOT complaint? Would this remedy likely achieve anything?
The DOT will no longer force carriers to honor "mistake" fares, and this one was unquestionably a mistake.* You can thank the folks who exploited the DKK mistake for this little "enhancement" to DOT policy.

LX has a history of cancelling "mistake" tix, including F awards booked by non-HON/SEN.

* The exception is that if the pax has incurred non-refundable expenses in reliance on the booking, the carrier is required to reimburse those. Which it seems our original OP (cbrown5294) did.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
The DOT will no longer force carriers to honor "mistake" fares, and this one was unquestionably a mistake.* You can thank the folks who exploited the DKK mistake for this little "enhancement" to DOT policy.

LX has a history of cancelling "mistake" tix, including F awards booked by non-HON/SEN.

* The exception is that if the pax has incurred non-refundable expenses in reliance on the booking, the carrier is required to reimburse those. Which it seems our original OP (cbrown5294) did.
I think my use of OP has introduced confusion to this thread.

The successful booking by arbitrage was not by cbrown5294, but by jeedk. Perhaps the NH continuation will count as a non-refundable expense in that transaction?
Old Jun 5, 2016, 4:16 pm

I think my use of OP has introduced confusion to this thread.
Sorry. IMO, LX can probably cancel the mistake F awards without DOT sanction. I'm not sure the cbrown5294 scenario counts as a mistake, and if it did, the purchase of return flights would likely except him from the exception.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 9:14 pm
Suspended

It would be harder for LX to argue it was a mistake considering there was no "hack" involved like RGN departure or DKK currency conversion ... It was publicly bookable award inventory (O/I/X) visible on StarNet and available to multiple partners.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 10:25 pm

It would be harder for LX to argue it was a mistake considering there was no "hack" involved like RGN departure or DKK currency conversion ... It was publicly bookable award inventory (O/I/X) visible on StarNet and available to multiple partners.
A three-hour window of availability that contradicts LX's published and long-established policy of no F awards published to StarNet? LX will have no problem meeting its burden of showing mistake.

And there doesn't have to be a hack. Just a mistake:

As a matter of prosecutorial discretion, the Enforcement Office will not enforce the requirement of section 399.88 with regard to mistaken fares occurring on or after the date of this notice so long as the airline or seller of air transportation: (1) demonstrates that the fare was a mistaken fare; and (2) reimburses all consumers who purchased a mistaken fare ticket for any reasonable, actual, and verifiable out-of-pocket expenses that were made in reliance upon the ticket purchase, in addition to refunding the purchase price of the ticket.
DOT Mistake Fare Policy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.