Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LX (Swiss) Phantom Award Space

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2019, 10:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cfischer

you don't need any luck with that. Had this issue 3 times with Swiss and UA told me to pound sand. Contacted the DOT that UA was unwilling to honor a ticketed itinerary. Got resolved within 48 hours each time. I always give UA a chance to make it right by figuring it out with the partner or by offering their own metal. When they don’t want to play nice, I usually don’t hesitate to get it fixed.
UA is not going to buy you a ticket on LX, they're going to reroute on their own metal (or available partner award space) which is exactly what they'll offer to do without superfluous DOT complaint.

DOT does not enforce individual claims. You can ask anyone who had their LX F ticket canceled whether DOT would force UA or LX to reinstate this ticket.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
UA is not going to buy you a ticket on LX, they're going to reroute on their own metal (or available partner award space) which is exactly what they'll offer to do without superfluous DOT complaint.

DOT does not enforce individual claims. You can ask anyone who had their LX F ticket canceled whether DOT would force UA or LX to reinstate this ticket.
Well I am glad my experience is completely opposite In fact UA has in writing refused to open space on their own metal, repeatedly. Well, let's put it that way, the DOT seemed very interested in hearing about these issues and I always got a personalized reply from them ... plus UA fixed the problem.
I understand your perception is different. My experience is how I stated it.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 11:44 pm

Programs: United MP, SQ Krisflyer, SPG, HHonors, SkyPesos
Originally Posted by DaisyO
Just as a word of caution, you can still get your itinerary cancelled even with a confirmation number, ticket, and reserved seat on LX. I had a J segment in November for ZRH-LAX and happened to notice in my United account that it was cancelled. Swiss's manage my booking site said it was deleted. I was literally ticketed 2 weeks ago and reserved a seat on Swiss's site.

The United CSR said that Swiss cancelled the flight segment. Rather than going through the hassle of trying to go through Swiss to get them to open up space, I just opted for a ZRH-LHR-LAX routing on Polaris. I'm not sure who really is at fault, but take this as a warning that your award flight on LX isn't necessarily safe even if it's ticketed and you were assigned a seat!
I have a happy update to my cancelled LX 40 award ticket. I emailed customer care and the CSR indicated that I needed to provide documentation that Swiss had confirmed my seat. Of course I had none since all my documentation was from United. I said my seat 12G was confirmed per my United-sent itinerary, but the CSR said that was from my IST-ZRH leg. I didn’t recall reserving a seat yet on the TK leg but had no proof. She insisted that LX can take 24 hours to actually confirm partner space and mine was never confirmed.

I thought all hope was lost and I’d have to accept my new UA metal itinerary (on fauxlaris no less). I then realized that narrowbody planes like A321 (IST-ZRH leg) don’t have an aisle G, and row 12 would have been in Y even though I was confirmed J. I quickly sent an email to customer care with some screenshots of TK A321 and LX 773 seatmaps to prove that seat 12G could only exist on LX 40 on my itinerary and thus it was written documentation I had a confirmed seat. A couple of days later I got an email with my original itinerary on LX40 and was able to reserve my seat on the LX site.

Now I’m going to be babysitting this itinerary for the next couple of months!
Kacee likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 10:49 am

Has anyone experienced phantom availability trying to book Swiss awards? I have an award currently ticked with another *A partner, and am looking for a better routing. Swiss shows as available on United.com, but not on ExpertFlyer. I don't want to end up with my current award cancelled and the new booking not go through if the space is phantom. Any experience or data points you might have would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Danski

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 6, 2020 at 2:13 pm Reason: Moved to consolidated thread
Old Apr 25, 2023, 9:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, JetBlue Mosaic
Sorry to bump this old thread, but I didn't see a recent LX award thread.

I'm searching for an award on 6/18 for 1 pax NYC-Europe in J. Using the UA website and app I see space on LX from JFK and EWR to ZRH when combined with an intra-Europe leg either ZRH-VIE or ZRH-VIE-ATH. Searching NYC-ZRH on the UA site does not show the LX legs alone. Is this married segments or phantom inventory?

Old Apr 25, 2023, 11:19 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by JALsnipe
Sorry to bump this old thread, but I didn't see a recent LX award thread.

I'm searching for an award on 6/18 for 1 pax NYC-Europe in J. Using the UA website and app I see space on LX from JFK and EWR to ZRH when combined with an intra-Europe leg either ZRH-VIE or ZRH-VIE-ATH. Searching NYC-ZRH on the UA site does not show the LX legs alone. Is this married segments or phantom inventory?

LX (and LH and friends) use married segment logic for award seats
jcturnbull likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.