Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cancelled Flight w. Confirmed GPU

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2019, 10:19 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Whoops. KEF, not KEV. My bad. Of course, the diversion happened when we were already past Greenland, so we backtracked for two hours.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 10:29 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by itsMoe
I had an interesting twist on this happen last year. UA 59, FRA-SFO, diverted to KEV due to medical emergency. We spent the night in KEV as the crew turned illegal. I was GPU'ed into J on the original UA59, but that flight then terminated at KEV. The flight to SFO from KEV the next day (same plane, same crew, same passengers) was no longer UA59, but was now called UA2700. And I found myself in Y all of a sudden.

It took a rather spirited discussion with the phone agent and talking to a supervisor on the 1k line to reinstate my GPU.
Interesting. That was the case on the original flight I mentioned where my friend was downgraded to E- (SFO-FRA) and I sent in a suggestion that for canx flights where they are using the same plane they just migrate the pax manifest for seating as everyone's seating was messed up (pax with kids and babies were especially impacted) Ever since then this has what I have seen (not taking credit they did this but it was a brilliant suggestion 🤩 when pax are already upset with a canx flight and no longer have the originally assigned seats).

I guess in your case it was not canx but a new leg? Still with same plane and same pax why not just copy across the seating chart?
Old Apr 8, 2019, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by N1120A
It isn't rare - it has happened every time I've needed it.
You must be very special as there are zero other reports like this. Maybe for some reason they do it for you and you got lucky that no partner airline has downgraded you yet ... but trust all the other posters ... it is neither common nor is it SOP and it most certainly is extremely risky.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 7:43 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

I flew ORD-NRT-SIN in upgraded business a few years back. The ORD-NRT flight was going to be too late to make the connection. I had enough time to go to the GS office and the agent put me on SQ in business class. When I arrived at NRT, there was an agent waiting for me with a sign with my name on it. I told her that this can't be good It wasn't - SQ refused the business class seat.. She said I had three options: Y on SQ, go the next day in UA business or go to HND on ANA in business. I chose the third option. The only bummer was that I had to take a bus to HND.

They have a relationship with ANA and LH, but not with others to force business on an upgrade.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
Slight variation on the theme

booked SF-IAH-SYD in PZ but SF-IAH is delayed due to engine issues on the inbound. No luck on standing by earlier to IAH.
SF-SYD is sold out in Y and J and LA-SYD doesn’t operate tonight so my choices are AC via YVR and NZ via AKL. Is one of those two airlines a better bet for having UA maintain J or am I SOL?
Old Aug 23, 2019, 4:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dparkinson
booked SF-IAH-SYD in PZ but SF-IAH is delayed due to engine issues on the inbound. No luck on standing by earlier to IAH.
SF-SYD is sold out in Y and J and LA-SYD doesn’t operate tonight so my choices are AC via YVR and NZ via AKL. Is one of those two airlines a better bet for having UA maintain J or am I SOL?
What is UA offering?
Old Aug 23, 2019, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
Surprisingly they were amenable to either. I took AC.
I have a BP issued with a seat assigned in J. However, when I get to AC website it says Economy-Flex but cabin type J

Should I be concerned or just don’t come in contact w any human at AC before I scan my BP?
Old Aug 23, 2019, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
I have a BP issued with a seat assigned in J. However, when I get to AC website it says Economy-Flex but cabin type J

Should I be concerned or just don’t come in contact w any human at AC before I scan my BP?
The first human contact may be at the BP reader beeping and you being places back on economy. Then what will you do?

Get it fixed now. UA owes you a J seat due to IRROPS, no matter how you got there.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 7:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ryman554
The first human contact may be at the BP reader beeping and you being places back on economy. Then what will you do?
Good advice.
Originally Posted by ryman554
UA owes you a J seat due to IRROPS, no matter how you got there.
But that's not correct on an upgraded ticket. CoC specifically limits UA's obligation to transport in same class of service to flights on its own metal.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 7:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Can you go a day later on UA in J?
Old Aug 23, 2019, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat

you should be concerned. AC might work out. LX would definitely not. Not a route where I would take chances. Take a UA flight tomorrow ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.