FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Cancelled Flight w. Confirmed GPU (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1961310-cancelled-flight-w-confirmed-gpu.html)

dparkinson Mar 17, 2019 4:20 pm

Cancelled Flight w. Confirmed GPU

I've got an international flight that was cancelled where I was confirmed with a GPU into Polaris.
In the past, for the most part, I've had success being reaccommodated directly into revenue business seats if there's no PZ open...was curious if that extends to *partners.
In the case of LX/AC, etc. will they also grab a revenue J seat?
In the case of LH/NH, will they grab a revenue J seat (since globals do extend to those airlines) or will they need an I seat?
In the case of a UA/LH combo reaccomodation, normally you'd need two GPUs, 1 for UA and 1 for LH/NH...will they just use the one for both?

sannmann Mar 17, 2019 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by dparkinson (Post 30898306)
I've got an international flight that was cancelled where I was confirmed with a GPU into Polaris.
In the past, for the most part, I've had success being reaccommodated directly into revenue business seats if there's no PZ open...was curious if that extends to *partners.
In the case of LX/AC, etc. will they also grab a revenue J seat?
In the case of LH/NH, will they grab a revenue J seat (since globals do extend to those airlines) or will they need an I seat?
In the case of a UA/LH combo reaccomodation, normally you'd need two GPUs, 1 for UA and 1 for LH/NH...will they just use the one for both?

I was flying within Germany on LH, connecting to an upgraded (with GPU) United flight at MUC. My internal German LH flight was cancelled. LH rebooked me up to FRA in Y and put me on their metal in J across the Atlantic.

Miles Ahead Mar 17, 2019 4:55 pm

My experience (with LH and in one case AC) is that it varies - sometimes you do, sometimes you don't, and sometimes you do and get the GPU back.

N1120A Mar 17, 2019 4:55 pm

United will rebook SWU/GPU upgraded passengers in the upgraded cabin pm JV and *A partners when IRROPS occurs. I've had them do both LH and AC for me in your situation. They are pretty good about it

Kmxu Mar 17, 2019 5:46 pm

LH to UA misconnection at MUC

LH insisted on rebooking on original booking class. I had UA MUC-IAD GPUed. But LH caused the misconnection. So, I overnighted at MUC at LH’s expenses. UA got me a Polaris seat on UA metal next day.

Often1 Mar 17, 2019 6:33 pm

While it is 100% the responsibility of the carrier causing a misconnect to handle the rebooking, there is nothing preventing UA from doing so. In this situation, I would call the US number and ask for assistance as a 1K. UA will do this so long as there is space. Others may or may not and are a backup if UA does tell you to start with the operating carrier.

findark Mar 17, 2019 6:35 pm

Own metal is more or less guaranteed; getting rebooked positive space on a partner is YMMV and the agent is doing you a favor.

Kacee Mar 17, 2019 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by findark (Post 30898717)
Own metal is more or less guaranteed; getting rebooked positive space on a partner is YMMV and the agent is doing you a favor.

Yes, there are plenty of reports of UA refusing to rebook in J on a partner. They certainly have no contractual obligation to do so.

And even if they do, the partner will sometimes refuse to transport in J because the underlying coupon is for economy travel.

dparkinson Mar 17, 2019 11:33 pm

Is LX the type of airline that would refuse to transport? I know they were sticklers about mistake fares but that was F

findark Mar 18, 2019 12:54 am

Originally Posted by dparkinson (Post 30899338)
Is LX the type of airline that would refuse to transport? I know they were sticklers about mistake fares but that was F

The type of airline? Absolutely. But in my experience the challenge is getting the rebook to happen in the first place. I think the most likely way to get OALed into J is when another airline is the late-delivering carrier and rebooks you onto their own J, but the only time this seems common is for LH. If you're concerned about this scenario, I would absolutely look for UA metal alternatives first.

Also, slightly off topic, but last time I had a (domestic) segment with a supported upgrade canceled, I had an agent who was willing to try to get me into F on DL or AA but neither worked. Had to be rebooked positive space on UA instead.

hagan73 Mar 18, 2019 2:44 am

Can’t speak for OAL but on at least 3 occasions UA has rebooked my upgraded international flights that misconnected, delayed, etc. in C/D/J to accommodate - all UA metal. They seem to be pretty decent about it, but I normally go in asking for exactly the flights I want specifically stating that I want to be accommodated in the cabin I was originally flying in.

cfischer Mar 19, 2019 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by N1120A (Post 30898416)
United will rebook SWU/GPU upgraded passengers in the upgraded cabin pm JV and *A partners when IRROPS occurs. I've had them do both LH and AC for me in your situation. They are pretty good about it

JV is absolutely NOT SOP and very rare. There are plenty of cases where LH/LX and others have refused transport in J when that happened. Can it happen ... sure ... but it is nothing to expect. Re-booking on UA metal, of course ... J1 will suffice.

LX is particularly strict. There is a thread in the LH forum: LH Sen booked into PE and misconnected. LH rebooked into LX business ... pax was downgraded to Y! Now that is within the LH group! Imagine how they will treat a 016 'upgrade'.

exerda Mar 19, 2019 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 30898707)
While it is 100% the responsibility of the carrier causing a misconnect to handle the rebooking, there is nothing preventing UA from doing so. In this situation, I would call the US number and ask for assistance as a 1K. UA will do this so long as there is space. Others may or may not and are a backup if UA does tell you to start with the operating carrier.

Indeed. I have had LH cause misconnects a couple of times in the past year or so (and later refuse EC261 comp, but that's another matter). In each case, I was on the phone with UA immediately to see what UA could do for me; they have always been able to open space on their own metal the next day (to be fair, the occasions involved paid J 1x, which I absolutely expect to have honored, GPU 2x--both my wife and me--which they had to open up space for, and J award which required space be opened up). By the time I got to the LH Customer Service counter, I was already taken care of by UA.

simmang Mar 19, 2019 7:41 pm

I was once accommodated on Asiana in J by UA when I had a misconnect on the original UA confirmed GPU flight. I simply asked the 1K desk if I could be reaccomodated in J.. after a long hold, she booked and ticketed me in J on Asiana. The friendly Polaris club agents at SFO thought Asiana would refuse the ticket and downgrade me at checkin... but Asiana didn’t and I flew J on Asiana to my destination. I was sweating bullets all the way through checkin, boarding, and up to door closed and push back, but it worked. YMMV.

airoli Mar 20, 2019 4:25 am

Is LX the type of airline that would refuse to transport?

Since when can LX flights be upgraded with GPUs? :confused: