Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2021, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the archive thread is https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1960195-b737max-cleared-faa-resume-passenger-flights-when-will-ua-max-flights-resume.html

Thread Topic
The reason for continuing this thread is to inform the UA traveler on the status of the MAX recertification and if / when UA might deploy the MAX aircraft. And UA flyer's thoughts about UA deploying the MAX if that was to happen.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
READ BEFORE POSTING

Once again many posters in this thread have forgotten the FT rules and resorted to "Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming " and other non-collegial, non-civil discourse. This is not allowed.

Posters appear to be talking at others, talking about others, not discussing the core issues. Repeating the same statements, saying the same thing LOUDER is not civil discourse. These problems are not with one poster, they are not just one point of view, ...

As useful as some discussion here has been, continuing rules violations will lead to suspensions and thread closure. Please think about that before posting.

The purpose of FT is to be an informative forum that, in this case, enables the UA flyer to enhance their travel experience. There are other forums for different types of discussions. This thread was had wide latitude but that latitude is being abused.

Bottom line, if you can not stay within the FT rules and the forum's topic areas, please do not post.
And before posting, ask if you are bringing new contributing information to the discussion -- not just repeating previous points, then please do not post.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
This thread has engendered some strongly felt opinions and a great tendency to wander into many peripherally related topics. By all normal FT moderation standards, this thread would have been permanently closed long ago ( and numerous members receiving disciplinary actions).

However, given the importance of the subject, the UA Moderators have tried to host this discussion but odd here as UA is not the top 1 or 2 or 3 for MAX among North America carriers. However, some have allowed their passion and non-UA related opinions to repeatedly disrupt this discussion.

The reason for continuing this thread is to inform the UA traveler on the status of the MAX recertification and if / when UA might deploy the MAX aircraft. And UA flyer's thoughts about UA deploying the MAX if that was to happen.

Discussion of Boeing's culture or the impact on Boeing's future is not in scope. Nor is comments on restructuring the regulatory process. Neither is the impacts on COVID on the general air industry -- those are not UA specific and are better discussed elsewhere. And for discussion of UA's future, there is a separate thread.

Additionally repeated postings of essentially the same content should not happen nor unnecessarily inflammatory posts. And of course, the rest of FT posting rules apply including discuss the issue and not the posters.

The Moderator team feels there is a reason / need for this thread but it has been exhausting to have to repeated re-focus the discussion -- don't be the reason this thread is permanently closed ( and get yourself in disciplinary problems).

Stick to the relevant topic which is (repeating myself)

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

United does not fly the 737 MAX 8 that has been involved in two recent crashes, but it does operate the 737 MAX 9.

How to tell if your flight is scheduled to be operated by the MAX 9:

View your reservation or flight status page, either on the web or on the app. United lists the entire aircraft type. Every flight that is scheduled to be on the 737 MAX will say "Boeing 737 MAX 9." If you see anything else -- for example, "Boeing 737-900," it is not scheduled to be a MAX at this time.

The same is true in search results and anywhere else on the United site.

For advanced users: UA uses the three letter IATA identifier 7M9 for the 737 MAX 9.

All 737 MAX aircraft worldwide (MAX 8, MAX 9, and MAX 10) are currently grounded.

Print Wikipost

B737MAX Recertification - Archive

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2019, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by EWR764
Is that observation directed at me? Because I don't think I've ever made any such a conclusory statement in connection with this matter.
No, not at you. At the amalgam of posters posting in this and several other related threads throughout FT.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 3:10 pm
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by radonc1
...I suspect that if you asked a plane load of passengers, less than 10% of them would even know what model of plane they were on....
+1. While I probably am of the opinion that this is a bigger financial deal for $BA than most of the finance types on here, I can certainly agree that once they're back in the air it will be a very short time before the flying public totally forgets it.

I sat next to a major carrier pilot on the way to HNL once and when I referenced the gauge of the aircraft in referring to it he laughed at me (already knowing that I was in no way affiliated with the aviation industry). I am sure defending non -8 MAX 737s has been the majority of the increased workload for the customer service at the major carriers that fly them.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by Newman55
I fail to see how the cabin diameter of an aircraft means anything to this discussion. If you think mechanics on the current generation of 737 is similar to what was designed in the 1960s, then I guess we should discuss the safety of current A320 family.
The moderator transferred this post from from another thread dealing with whether United should cancel the 737mAX order & go for the A321neo. I was trying to bring home the point that cabin width for the 737 was set on a. 1950s detrrmination, thus being more narrow the the A321. Not a safety issue, but a passenger comfort issue, more related to the original posting thread. Cabin width & seat width are factors in passenger airplane preference. 737 safety. & grounding should only be discussed in the other thread in the context where it would bear on UA's decision to switch to the A321neo & possibly some A220s. Issues such as cabin width should be in the other thread. There are a lot of 737mAX issues, but keeping posts focused to the most relevent thread promotes a more focused discussion.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by BF263533
Not a safety issue, but a passenger comfort issue, more related to the original posting thread. Cabin width & seat width are factors in passenger airplane preference.
It's irrelevant to either thread because United and all other airlines don't buy planes based on perceived comfort of economy passengers. Most economy passengers don't know the difference between an A380 and a CRJ900.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 4:16 pm

Southwest 737 Max Makes Energency Landing in Orlando

Appears to be an engine issue. From Orlando to Victorville
Old Mar 26, 2019, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
well that clinches it. Ground the max (sarcasm)
Old Mar 26, 2019, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by radonc1
I suspect that while you may avoid the 737 Max from now on
I've never said I'd avoid the 737MAX "from now on." I'll avoid it for a good year or two. Might as well let others be the guinea pigs to ensure the fixes will actually take. <shrugs>
Old Mar 26, 2019, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by LarryJ
In 1965, three newly-introduced B727-100s crashed in the US in a three-month period.

Those crashes weren't due to a flaw in the airplane. They were due to the procedures which were carried over from flying prop-driven airplanes which had instant power availability compared to the slow spool-up characteristics of a turbine engine. The proper procedure with a jet is to have the engines spooled up by 500' - 1000' before landing so that power will be available instantly if needed. Pilots transitioning from propeller-driven airplanes weren't always complying with that procedure.

Modern turbine engines additionally mitigate that threat by having higher in-flight idle settings which reduce the spool-up time from flight-idle. This also makes the newer airplanes harder to slow-down and descend quickly which does lead to some go-arounds when the pilots are brought in on a tighter approach than they were expecting.
Here's the read on that interesting situation...

https://www.tmtindustryinsider.com/2016/08/air-safety-the-deadly-boeing-727/

"The reaction was swift and dramatic. Travel agencies requested the airlines to cancel 727 bookings. Some major corporations ordered their employees to avoid 727 flights. Congressional claims erupted that the design was unsafe, and demands followed that all 727s should be grounded. In response, the Civil Aeronautics Board (the CAB, which was responsible for investigating air accidents and making safety recommendations at that time) undertook a review of the 727’s airworthiness, aerodynamics and flight characteristics. It also requested the National Aeronautics and Space Administration to review the 727 design data. And the Federal Aviation Agency (FAA) convened a meeting of 727 operators to review their operating procedures and training.

The result of these reviews was a conclusion that the 727 was airworthy and properly certificated. However, the CAB found that pilots were making unstabilized, high descent rate approaches more often in 727s than in any other jet transport—a practice that was facilitated by the 727’s sophisticated flap system, which allowed excessive sink rates to develop if approaches were not carefully monitored.

"
Similar public reaction although the govt didn't ground while it reviewed. Two of the accidents were UA planes.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 7:45 pm
Suspended

Meanwhile I just read there was a recent emergency landing of a SW Max 8 or 9 recent at MCO.....
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sanfran8080
Meanwhile I just read there was a recent emergency landing of a SW Max 8 or 9 recent at MCO.....
Per the FAA, this was unrelated to the recent crashes. (CNBC story here). The pilot reported a performance issue from an engine, rather than anything related to the control systems of the aircraft.

While I have no doubt that some people will tie the two together anyway, at first blush, it looks like nothing but bad luck. An engine failure can happen on any aircraft at any time.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sanfran8080
WN MAX 8 on a ferry trip (no passengers), reportedly an unrelated engine issue
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
WN MAX 8 on a ferry trip (no passengers), reportedly an unrelated engine issue
To the media there is no difference.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dublin_rfk
To the media there is no difference.
Haven't seen it on TV media at all; only passing references in local media. So obviously there is a difference.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Sun, hardly a journalistic beacon, but nevertheless a part of the media, put out a bit entitled 'JET EMERGENCY / Boeing 737 Max 8 plane identical to Ethiopian crash jet in emergency landing'.

Out of respect for intelligence, I will not link to it.

Last edited by fumje; Mar 27, 2019 at 6:57 am Reason: comma
Old Mar 27, 2019, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
That's the spirit! Fight the good fight!

(The reason these cliick-bait headlines are used is because, well, they work. Never forget that by definition, half of the world is below average IQ.)
Indeed, that one is click-bait-y, but I think it's generally in line with a lot of the recent reporting's failure or inability to give proper context to the issue that caused the two crashes. So for a while, at least, minor incidents are going to be labelled as 'crash-y 737 stuff' even when they're entirely unrelated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.