Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

"Upgrade certificates (GPUs & RPUs) are useless nowadays" {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2017, 2:40 pm

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
On the Hawaii routes, I do think UA has found the "sweet spot" to get people to buy P fares. In the past, 1K upgrades could almost be counted on mid-week between West Coast and Hawaii. Now, a lot more effort needs to be applied to get the best outcomes through use of predicted CPU success, certificate use (at booking and predicted waitlist outcome), and P fares. I liked it better when UA over-priced F and over-supplied F seats and CPUs rained like confetti at New Years.
west coast - Hawaii has become tricky for GS as well - 2 of my family (GS) were recently 3rd & 4th on the upgrade list - F full (I think $249 buy-up post purchase) 2 no shows and 2 mis-connects and they were both upgraded - CPU (personally I wouldn't be that worried about the upgrade)... I would do a buy-up into P at $249 (if available) if no R/PN available if you really want F on this route.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 3:29 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
On the Hawaii routes, I do think UA has found the "sweet spot" to get people to buy P fares. In the past, 1K upgrades could almost be counted on mid-week between West Coast and Hawaii. Now, a lot more effort needs to be applied to get the best outcomes through use of predicted CPU success, certificate use (at booking and predicted waitlist outcome), and P fares. I liked it better when UA over-priced F and over-supplied F seats and CPUs rained like confetti at New Years.
Don't mean to rub salt in the wounds, but we are flying OAK-HNL tomorrow on AS. I matched my wife over to MVP status (think Silver) a few months ago. Coming from flying UA for the past decade, I was in disbelief when she cleared into F on a CPU at T-48.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by milypan
Don't mean to rub salt in the wounds, but we are flying OAK-HNL tomorrow on AS. I matched my wife over to MVP status (think Silver) a few months ago. Coming from flying UA for the past decade, I was in disbelief when she cleared into F on a CPU at T-48.
Salt doesn't affect me. Last UA ride for me was LAX-HNL earlier this week in a lie-flat seat, courtesy of a RPU. Had a Moscow Mule w/ my blintz. Mighty fine ride. Only 3 showed on the "upgraded" list, one got his at the gate. Might not have even been a CPU.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
common summer phenomenon.

Lots less spare capacity and takes longer to absorb any irrops.

Additionally many on standby are NRSA / employee travel benefits. Just like others, they travel more in the summer when the kids are out of school.

Many are noticing this issue -- hence this mega thread on upgrade problems. As for why
-- improved economy and more are purchasing F
-- airlines are better at managing capacity and offering more "reasonable" pricing at purchase
-- airlines are aggressive providing buy-ups, maximizing revenues
-- the upgrade structure has been tilted strong to GS elites

Net, net there is more less upgrade space for the non-GS elite
As usual Wine Country you have taking the words out of my mouth. Even on an upgraded W fare ticket from CLE back to SFO leaving on a Thursday no upgrade with my RPU. As this thread is appropriately labeled, to me they are totally worthless! Flying to KOA in a week with a long-standing RPU, It will never clear! I am still standing on 17 upgrade instrument and will soon be acquiring more for 2018. These "upgrade instruments" are clearly a joke.
As many have stated , If it's an international flight I just buy F.

No doubt about it, they have definitely found the "sweet spot". I fly SFO To KOA regularly for work and unfortunately I usually fly in and out on weekends. Upgrades are virtually unobtainable and for the past year I have been using instruments, not even attempting a CPUs.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 2, 2017 at 11:05 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jul 3, 2017, 7:35 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by findark
Among other reasons, UA will file multiple "series" of fares completely independently of each other. Using the domestic basis structure (I'm less familiar with int'l), you might have

WAA7AKEN: $199
VAA7AKEN: $229

...but then they need to match some OAL's sale, and they just file a new series for that:

WAA7AQEN: $159
VAA7AQEN: $189

...and now you have a "V cheaper than a W". They could also do the above and not do the WAA7AQEN. Random stuff happens all the time, and sometimes by mistake.
This, of course, is the ultimate smack in the face for at least some of us. I fly weekly into EWR where even deep discount fares like T/S can run $500-$600 . UA knows what we all paid yet continues to use fare buckets to assign upgrade priority. If you want to be all the about the money, let us at least compete on the dollars not some ancient and imperfect construct.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 7:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA1K (no longer serviced!), Bonvoy P, Hyatt G
Just confirmed GPU for my girlfriends saver economy award from HKG-SFO. 40k miles for Polaris transpacific is not bad.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Rotus12
Just confirmed GPU for my girlfriends saver economy award from HKG-SFO. 40k miles for Polaris transpacific is not bad.
Being GS has its privileges. I'll get there in 2.5 million BIS miles (when I'm 200).
Old Jul 3, 2017, 11:38 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
This, of course, is the ultimate smack in the face for at least some of us. I fly weekly into EWR where even deep discount fares like T/S can run $500-$600 . UA knows what we all paid yet continues to use fare buckets to assign upgrade priority. If you want to be all the about the money, let us at least compete on the dollars not some ancient and imperfect construct.
Your final words of the post above could describe most of what United Airlines is today.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 11:42 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Being GS has its privileges. I'll get there in 2.5 million BIS miles (when I'm 200).
whats the threshold for Lifetime GS?
Old Jul 3, 2017, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by caseminole
whats the threshold for Lifetime GS?
4 million lifetime miles
Old Jul 3, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
4 million lifetime miles
Oh Lord. Its taken me 30+ years to get to 750,000; I'll also be GS around age 200. Cool
Old Jul 4, 2017, 9:48 am
PPM

As a 2 MM flyer and 1K for over 20 years, I have not been able to use RPUs or GPUs at the time of ticket purchase and have a stash accumulated. I've written the 1K voice twice in the last several months and complained that these are just worthless instruments, so why do they not just get rid of them and offer something worthwhile--such as the ability to change nonrefundable tickets or premier access when our miles are used for other travelers.

Case in point, I communicated in my last 1K voice email that I am already 1K for 2018, with 125,000 PQMs thus far, and have at least another 100,000 miles of international travel for the second half of the year. I always fly in paid business class (discounted) but like to use the GPUs to take my husband or adult children with me. In checking my upcoming international flights for the remainder of 2017, there was not a single upgrade on any of a dozen flights that was confirmable at ticket purchase that could be used for my husband. I specifically noted that two flights for which I sought GPUs were to DEL in November, and there was not a single business class seat sold on either flight. However, no GPUs were available to confirm at the time.

I told the 1K desk (and have started this plan already) that I will not fly United for the remainder of 2017 because the inability to use the GPUs or RPUs is insulting--why should I show any loyalty when the only thing that flying an additional 100,000 miles on United this year will get me is more GPUs that I can't use? I calculated that this loss to United of my paid tickets alone--not to mention the W fare I would pay for accompanying family members--is $53,000 USD. Instead, I'm purchasing tickets on Air Canada, Swiss Air, SAS, LOT, all the while gaining PQMs and United miles, but paying them a single dollar in airfare. I use Qatar for all Asia destinations.

I received a note back telling me that they could tell that I was displeased with the upgrade policy.....(You think so?), and that they would make sure my displeasure was communicated to top management personnel, but they could not release a GPU for the DEL flight.

Am I missing something as to why I should continue to fly on United after achieving 100,000 this year, especially since I am a 2MM flyer and have a lifetime of group 1 boarding, etc. I've seen domestic upgrades auctioned off at the gate ("If anyone wants to upgrade for $99, come see us at the podium.") when my RPU is wait-listed. I've sure had enough of this. I have elite status on Qatar as well. And, United Polaris service is still way below that for LOT especially.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 10:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA1K (no longer serviced!), Bonvoy P, Hyatt G
If your paid tickets alone for the rest of the year is going to be $53k, and this is ~25% less than you've already flown so far this year, why aren't you GS? Seems like GS has no issues using GPU and RPU from my experience.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 10:20 am

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Originally Posted by PPM
As a 2 MM flyer and 1K for over 20 years, I have not been able to use RPUs or GPUs at the time of ticket purchase and have a stash accumulated. I've written the 1K voice twice in the last several months and complained that these are just worthless instruments, so why do they not just get rid of them and offer something worthwhile--such as the ability to change nonrefundable tickets or premier access when our miles are used for other travelers.

Case in point, I communicated in my last 1K voice email that I am already 1K for 2018, with 125,000 PQMs thus far, and have at least another 100,000 miles of international travel for the second half of the year. I always fly in paid business class (discounted) but like to use the GPUs to take my husband or adult children with me. In checking my upcoming international flights for the remainder of 2017, there was not a single upgrade on any of a dozen flights that was confirmable at ticket purchase that could be used for my husband. I specifically noted that two flights for which I sought GPUs were to DEL in November, and there was not a single business class seat sold on either flight. However, no GPUs were available to confirm at the time.

I told the 1K desk (and have started this plan already) that I will not fly United for the remainder of 2017 because the inability to use the GPUs or RPUs is insulting--why should I show any loyalty when the only thing that flying an additional 100,000 miles on United this year will get me is more GPUs that I can't use? I calculated that this loss to United of my paid tickets alone--not to mention the W fare I would pay for accompanying family members--is $53,000 USD. Instead, I'm purchasing tickets on Air Canada, Swiss Air, SAS, LOT, all the while gaining PQMs and United miles, but paying them a single dollar in airfare. I use Qatar for all Asia destinations.

I received a note back telling me that they could tell that I was displeased with the upgrade policy.....(You think so?), and that they would make sure my displeasure was communicated to top management personnel, but they could not release a GPU for the DEL flight.

Am I missing something as to why I should continue to fly on United after achieving 100,000 this year, especially since I am a 2MM flyer and have a lifetime of group 1 boarding, etc. I've seen domestic upgrades auctioned off at the gate ("If anyone wants to upgrade for $99, come see us at the podium.") when my RPU is wait-listed. I've sure had enough of this. I have elite status on Qatar as well. And, United Polaris service is still way below that for LOT especially.
Greetings from another 1K 2MM. Pretty useless indeed. I even tried to give some away to another friend who is a 1k and said "why bother?" As pricing is more flexible, and elite benefits diminished, it just pushes me to fly other airlines. But I guess they don't care as long as they have a bird in the hand....
Old Jul 4, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PPM
As a 2 MM flyer and 1K for over 20 years, I have not been able to use RPUs or GPUs at the time of ticket purchase and have a stash accumulated. I've written the 1K voice twice in the last several months and complained that these are just worthless instruments...

I calculated that this loss to United of my paid tickets alone--not to mention the W fare I would pay for accompanying family members--is $53,000 USD. Instead, I'm purchasing tickets on Air Canada, Swiss Air, SAS, LOT, all the while gaining PQMs and United miles, but paying them a single dollar in airfare. ...
Actually United has a joint venture in place with Air Canada, so they are sharing the revenue on at least some of your tickets. I'm not sure about Swiss or SAS, but there is a joint venture with Lufthansa for trans-Atlantic revenue sharing, too. Resistance is futile!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.