Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA rules on electronic devices allowed below 10,000 ft, while landing or taking off??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 22, 2019, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
There may a formal rule on devices over 2 lbs but the most common observation is physical keyboards is what many FAs use to determine acceptability below 10,000 ft.
--- Keyboard - not allowed below 10,000 ft
--- No keyboard and does not appear to be too large, OK below 10,000 ft
FAA has a rule no more than 3 lbs in the seatback storage area.

Originally Posted by fezzington
FA manual says "Use of small, lightweight PEDs (e.g. Apple iPad, Samsung Galaxy Tablet, Microsoft surface, etc) is permitted gate-to-gate on UA flights..." Anything under 2lbs may be placed in a pocket, a seatback pocket, or held -- it may not be left unsecured on an adjacent empty seat. Anything over 2lbs must be stowed in an approved carryon baggage location. ....
Print Wikipost

UA rules on electronic devices allowed below 10,000 ft, while landing or taking off??

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2017, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Laptop use on UA just before landing.

...because apparently when you are in direct line of sight with the FA they don't make you put them away. This photo was taken as the wheels touched the runway.

I wasn't going to post anything but the FA snapped at me about putting my phone on airplane mode (it was) so if he's going to selectively enforce I'll tweet the pic out to @UNITED
Old Oct 10, 2017, 12:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Two letters: GS
Old Oct 10, 2017, 1:24 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee
Two letters: GS
GS aren't exempt from safety requirements. Laptop should've been put away -- in an overhead since he's at the bulkhead.

OP, sorry you had to deal with that.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 2:50 pm

Note my original title for this thread was "Dude...you're getting a Dell."
I took the incident with a bit of levity. It was more of a game to bet on how long it took the FA to say something.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Never let safety get in the way of selling pineapples!
Old Oct 10, 2017, 4:07 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
File a complaint with the FAA. Send them the flight information along with the picture. They'll investigate and most likely the FA will get a gentle reminder to enforce the safety rules.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 4:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
GS aren't exempt from safety requirements. Laptop should've been put away -- in an overhead since he's at the bulkhead.
A bit of explanation . . . .

It's not that GS are exempt (or any more likely to break the rule), it's just that FAs often won't confront them over either cell phone use or an open laptop at takeoff/landing. Seen it quite a few times. FAs walk by and pretend not to notice.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Catbert10
File a complaint with the FAA. Send them the flight information along with the picture. They'll investigate and most likely the FA will get a gentle reminder to enforce the safety rules.
But what does the picture prove? A passenger was using a laptop. Are there any indicators in it that the plane is about to land?
Old Oct 10, 2017, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by TomMM
But what does the picture prove? A passenger was using a laptop. Are there any indicators in it that the plane is about to land?
Technically the plane landed as I took the photo as the wheels hit the runway. But it's only my word saying that.
I tweeted to UA with the flight number/route and day.

Maybe a GS but also was paid F so a double whammy! Of the 12 seats 9 were upgrades...I had to buy F to inch over my PQMs for this year.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 5:00 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee
A bit of explanation . . . .

It's not that GS are exempt (or any more likely to break the rule), it's just that FAs often won't confront them over either cell phone use or an open laptop at takeoff/landing. Seen it quite a few times. FAs walk by and pretend not to notice.
Anecdotal, sure, but I definitely don't let it slide when I'm working

Is it possible others do? Sure. But it's so easy to walk by and say "Sir/Ma'am, please put the laptop away for landing"...
Old Oct 10, 2017, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Anecdotal, sure, but I definitely don't let it slide when I'm working

Is it possible others do? Sure. But it's so easy to walk by and say "Sir/Ma'am, please put the laptop away for landing"...
Purser on my 77W flight the other day as we're taxiing out for T/O:
"No phone talking, no texting, no exceptions, no kidding." (emphasis his)
Old Oct 10, 2017, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Always safety first. Even you are MUN/O or SMI/J, safety is still above you.

But FWIW - I will allow UA to address the issue first rather than going nuclear to FAA.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 6:20 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by garykung
Always safety first. Even you are MUN/O or SMI/J, safety is still above you.

But FWIW - I will allow UA to address the issue first rather than going nuclear to FAA.
Agreed. I had a similar incident this summer where the pax in 7D (I was in 7F) was on his phone talking for the entire duration of the safety demo. The FA standing there (literally next to him) did not say a word. It wasn't a whisper either, but a full on conversation. He happened to be a GS (saw his boarding pass).

I took a video and sent it to UA and they followed up promptly.

I'm not paranoid, but there's no excuse for safety. Yes I could repeat the entire safety demo back but had I not known what was going on, it would not have helped my preparedness. The guy in the middle spoke very little English and you could tell he was trying to watch what the FA was saying and doing, while having the guy next to him barking on the phone.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 7:06 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Are you sure it’s a laptop and not a tablet with attached keyboard?
nnn likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by getagb
Are you sure it’s a laptop and not a tablet with attached keyboard?
Yes. I made it a point to really peer and look before I began my betting.
ajGoes and Aussienarelle like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.