Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA rules on electronic devices allowed below 10,000 ft, while landing or taking off??

UA rules on electronic devices allowed below 10,000 ft, while landing or taking off??

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 13, 19, 3:23 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
There may a formal rule on devices over 2 lbs but the most common observation is physical keyboards is what many FAs use to determine acceptability below 10,000 ft.
--- Keyboard - not allowed below 10,000 ft
--- No keyboard and does not appear to be too large, OK below 10,000 ft
FAA has a rule no more than 3 lbs in the seatback storage area.

Originally Posted by fezzington View Post
FA manual says "Use of small, lightweight PEDs (e.g. Apple iPad, Samsung Galaxy Tablet, Microsoft surface, etc) is permitted gate-to-gate on UA flights..." Anything under 2lbs may be placed in a pocket, a seatback pocket, or held -- it may not be left unsecured on an adjacent empty seat. Anything over 2lbs must be stowed in an approved carryon baggage location. ....
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 7, 16, 11:01 pm
Original Poster

Question New Rules on Handheld Devices?

I had 2 flights on Monday and 1 flight on Friday this week. On the 2nd flight on Monday, the FA announced, both at takeoff and at landing, that handheld excludes anything with a keyboard attached as well as the super large iPads (I guess the 12.9 Pro?).

I asked her if this was a new rule and she said yes. Of course, I did not hear that announcement on the Friday flight nor the other flight on Monday.

I personally think this rule is way overdue - some of these "handheld" devices are getting too big and can be dangerous if we have problems during takeoff and landing.

Can someone confirm or deny?

Thanks.
Old Oct 7, 16, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
The FAA rule has always prohibited large devices that in the operator's determination exceed 2 pounds or are of a size that would impede egress.
Old Oct 7, 16, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
The FAA rule has always prohibited large devices that in the operator's determination exceed 2 pounds or are of a size that would impede egress.
Maybe UA is starting to enforce it?
Old Oct 8, 16, 5:08 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
I have an iPad pro 9.7" and if they see the keyboard they say it is a large device, so I remove the keyboard for take off and landing and they say that is OK

Doesn't make much sense
Old Oct 8, 16, 8:37 am

I think the battery is limited by the FAA to two pounds (much too big given damage from much smaller phones) not the total weight of the device.

The blogosphere/twitter/... are full of examples of FAs making up new rules.

Can't blame them having watched some videos of exploding phones but really not acceptable to make up rules.
Old Oct 8, 16, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Yappy View Post
I think the battery is limited by the FAA to two pounds (much too big given damage from much smaller phones) not the total weight of the device.
The 2lb limit is on the entire device. There are separate limits on lithium battery sizes based on lithium content.
Old Oct 8, 16, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
I experience a fairly wide variety of FA adlibbing when it comes to device specific announcements
Old Oct 8, 16, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA peon
Originally Posted by mduell View Post
The 2lb limit is on the entire device. There are separate limits on lithium battery sizes based on lithium content.
Then a MacBook Air is too large (>2lbs)?

The battery regulations I thought were in terms of grams of lithium in the battery which translated to no more than about 100 watt hour per battery.
Old Oct 8, 16, 2:29 pm

Programs: Last 1K flight 1/21/11; fun while it lasted, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 &
I like the idea of not allowing anything to be used (during takeoff and landing) that has a keyboard of some type attached to it. This removes a lot of the ambiguity. The exceptions... the few devices with keyboard that might be considered "handheld" and not a danger during an evacuation, are too few to be a reason to come up with a different description.

If this is in fact the new rule, Kudos to United for figuring out such a simple way to differentiate "small handheld devices" from everything else. ^
Old Oct 8, 16, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky View Post
I like the idea of not allowing anything to be used (during takeoff and landing) that has a keyboard of some type attached to it. This removes a lot of the ambiguity. The exceptions... the few devices with keyboard that might be considered "handheld" and not a danger during an evacuation, are too few to be a reason to come up with a different description.

If this is in fact the new rule, Kudos to United for figuring out such a simple way to differentiate "small handheld devices" from everything else. ^

My kids DVD player is smaller than my iPad and it is considered a large device and it also doesn't have a keyboard
Old Oct 8, 16, 4:14 pm

Also, I am sure apple knew the rules, the 12.9 iPad pro with keyboard is 1.94 pounds, the small one is 1/2 pound lighter.

United is just making arbitrary rules instead of following FAA guidance.
Old Oct 8, 16, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, AA, DL, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Michael D View Post
Then a MacBook Air is too large (>2lbs)?
Is this sarcastic? I'm not sure who in their right mind would refer to a MacBook Air as a small personal device. It's most definitely not.

Originally Posted by Hipplewm View Post
Also, I am sure apple knew the rules, the 12.9 iPad pro with keyboard is 1.94 pounds, the small one is 1/2 pound lighter.

United is just making arbitrary rules instead of following FAA guidance.
While perhaps The iPad Pro benefits from the fact it is <2 pounds per FAA regs, highly doubt it was built that way because of it. It is a benefit for portable electronics to be as light as possible, not just for FAA regs, but in more cases so it is lighter to carry around.

Also, my belief also that it was at carrier discretion what was considered large or not. There's a lot of things carriers can mandate differently than the FAA - for example, carry on bag dimensions which are max 22" Long k. UA - which are not at the FAA max on UA but aren't made up rules.
Old Oct 8, 16, 7:09 pm

Programs: Northwest WorldPerks, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Keep in mind also that in many cases, carrier rules and procedures have to be approved by the FAA. So, if the carrier says x will be their limit, even if the FAA would approve up to y, then legally, x is the limit on that carrier.
Old Oct 8, 16, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by rmadisonwi View Post
Keep in mind also that in many cases, carrier rules and procedures have to be approved by the FAA. So, if the carrier says x will be their limit, even if the FAA would approve up to y, then legally, x is the limit on that carrier.
I get that and i just read the rules on United's website:

It appears to come down to "Laptop" I assume they are saying anything with a keyboard is a laptop.

I mean, I literally removed the keyboard in front of them and they said it was fine then as it wasn't a laptop anymore, which really really doesn't make sense.

I think it is more technology moving faster than rules.
Old Oct 8, 16, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
My cellphone has a keyboard and it mst definitely qualifies as a handheld device.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: