FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA rules on electronic devices allowed below 10,000 ft, while landing or taking off?? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1957650-ua-rules-electronic-devices-allowed-below-10-000-ft-while-landing-taking-off.html)

username Oct 7, 16 11:01 pm

New Rules on Handheld Devices?
 
I had 2 flights on Monday and 1 flight on Friday this week. On the 2nd flight on Monday, the FA announced, both at takeoff and at landing, that handheld excludes anything with a keyboard attached as well as the super large iPads (I guess the 12.9 Pro?).

I asked her if this was a new rule and she said yes. Of course, I did not hear that announcement on the Friday flight nor the other flight on Monday.

I personally think this rule is way overdue - some of these "handheld" devices are getting too big and can be dangerous if we have problems during takeoff and landing.

Can someone confirm or deny?

Thanks.

mduell Oct 7, 16 11:07 pm

The FAA rule has always prohibited large devices that in the operator's determination exceed 2 pounds or are of a size that would impede egress.

username Oct 7, 16 11:11 pm


Originally Posted by mduell (Post 27318384)
The FAA rule has always prohibited large devices that in the operator's determination exceed 2 pounds or are of a size that would impede egress.

Maybe UA is starting to enforce it?

Hipplewm Oct 8, 16 5:08 am

I have an iPad pro 9.7" and if they see the keyboard they say it is a large device, so I remove the keyboard for take off and landing and they say that is OK

Doesn't make much sense

Yappy Oct 8, 16 8:37 am

I think the battery is limited by the FAA to two pounds (much too big given damage from much smaller phones) not the total weight of the device.

The blogosphere/twitter/... are full of examples of FAs making up new rules.

Can't blame them having watched some videos of exploding phones but really not acceptable to make up rules.

mduell Oct 8, 16 11:51 am


Originally Posted by Yappy (Post 27319428)
I think the battery is limited by the FAA to two pounds (much too big given damage from much smaller phones) not the total weight of the device.

The 2lb limit is on the entire device. There are separate limits on lithium battery sizes based on lithium content.

CougarCreek Oct 8, 16 12:38 pm

I experience a fairly wide variety of FA adlibbing when it comes to device specific announcements

Michael D Oct 8, 16 12:55 pm


Originally Posted by mduell (Post 27320077)
The 2lb limit is on the entire device. There are separate limits on lithium battery sizes based on lithium content.

Then a MacBook Air is too large (>2lbs)?

The battery regulations I thought were in terms of grams of lithium in the battery which translated to no more than about 100 watt hour per battery.

Mike Jacoubowsky Oct 8, 16 2:29 pm

I like the idea of not allowing anything to be used (during takeoff and landing) that has a keyboard of some type attached to it. This removes a lot of the ambiguity. The exceptions... the few devices with keyboard that might be considered "handheld" and not a danger during an evacuation, are too few to be a reason to come up with a different description.

If this is in fact the new rule, Kudos to United for figuring out such a simple way to differentiate "small handheld devices" from everything else. ^

Hipplewm Oct 8, 16 4:09 pm


Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky (Post 27320578)
I like the idea of not allowing anything to be used (during takeoff and landing) that has a keyboard of some type attached to it. This removes a lot of the ambiguity. The exceptions... the few devices with keyboard that might be considered "handheld" and not a danger during an evacuation, are too few to be a reason to come up with a different description.

If this is in fact the new rule, Kudos to United for figuring out such a simple way to differentiate "small handheld devices" from everything else. ^


My kids DVD player is smaller than my iPad and it is considered a large device and it also doesn't have a keyboard

Hipplewm Oct 8, 16 4:14 pm

Also, I am sure apple knew the rules, the 12.9 iPad pro with keyboard is 1.94 pounds, the small one is 1/2 pound lighter.


United is just making arbitrary rules instead of following FAA guidance.

emcampbe Oct 8, 16 4:45 pm


Originally Posted by Michael D (Post 27320316)
Then a MacBook Air is too large (>2lbs)?

Is this sarcastic? I'm not sure who in their right mind would refer to a MacBook Air as a small personal device. It's most definitely not.


Originally Posted by Hipplewm (Post 27320917)
Also, I am sure apple knew the rules, the 12.9 iPad pro with keyboard is 1.94 pounds, the small one is 1/2 pound lighter.


United is just making arbitrary rules instead of following FAA guidance.

While perhaps The iPad Pro benefits from the fact it is <2 pounds per FAA regs, highly doubt it was built that way because of it. It is a benefit for portable electronics to be as light as possible, not just for FAA regs, but in more cases so it is lighter to carry around.

Also, my belief also that it was at carrier discretion what was considered large or not. There's a lot of things carriers can mandate differently than the FAA - for example, carry on bag dimensions which are max 22" Long k. UA - which are not at the FAA max on UA but aren't made up rules.

rmadisonwi Oct 8, 16 7:09 pm

Keep in mind also that in many cases, carrier rules and procedures have to be approved by the FAA. So, if the carrier says x will be their limit, even if the FAA would approve up to y, then legally, x is the limit on that carrier.

Hipplewm Oct 8, 16 7:13 pm


Originally Posted by rmadisonwi (Post 27321404)
Keep in mind also that in many cases, carrier rules and procedures have to be approved by the FAA. So, if the carrier says x will be their limit, even if the FAA would approve up to y, then legally, x is the limit on that carrier.

I get that and i just read the rules on United's website:

It appears to come down to "Laptop" I assume they are saying anything with a keyboard is a laptop.

I mean, I literally removed the keyboard in front of them and they said it was fine then as it wasn't a laptop anymore, which really really doesn't make sense.

I think it is more technology moving faster than rules.

Xyzzy Oct 8, 16 8:05 pm

My cellphone has a keyboard and it m:cool:st definitely qualifies as a handheld device.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 4:51 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.