Wiki Posts
Search

GS Agents not informing of change fees?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2019, 5:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1MM
GS Agents not informing of change fees?

One of the "perks" of being GS is that agents have, for me at least, waived change fees most of the time. I would estimate 85% of the time over the last 6 years of being GS. Id say half the time they waived them without me asking and if they didn't, I would ask nicely to waive them, or even a HUCA, but I rarely paid them.

2 times in the last month, I had to make changes to 2 separate itineraries. In both cases, the agent told me the amount extra that was due and did not mention a change fee. I gave them my amex number and moved on in both cases. When I looked at my bill, I was actually charged a change fee in both cases. The total amount paid was the amount I was told over the phone -- meaning if I was told the change would be $500, a $300 fare difference charge and a $200 change fee were charged on my card.

Has anyone else noticed this?
Old Feb 15, 2019, 6:20 am

Programs: UA GS
I have never had a GS agent waive a change fee, nor would I expect them to. They have also informed me of the fee on each occasion.
Kacee, uanj and kevanyalowitz like this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 8:10 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by avi8tir
One of the "perks" of being GS is that agents have, for me at least, waived change fees most of the time. I would estimate 85% of the time over the last 6 years of being GS. Id say half the time they waived them without me asking and if they didn't, I would ask nicely to waive them, or even a HUCA, but I rarely paid them.

2 times in the last month, I had to make changes to 2 separate itineraries. In both cases, the agent told me the amount extra that was due and did not mention a change fee. I gave them my amex number and moved on in both cases. When I looked at my bill, I was actually charged a change fee in both cases. The total amount paid was the amount I was told over the phone -- meaning if I was told the change would be $500, a $300 fare difference charge and a $200 change fee were charged on my card.

If they didn't mention a change fee you should email GSCS.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: United GS, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

I don't expect it but they have done this at times, without asking.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 8:37 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Waiving a change fee is neither a published, nor an unpublished benefit of GS. If it happens, it's an unexpected courtesy.

If doing an upsell "GG BUYUP" on the same flight from coach to business, it can be waived. I've had it waived as a courtesy when changing to a different flight, but at the same time buying-up to the next class of service. Maybe one or two other times when there was good rationale (i.e. emergency travel -- I was overseas and a family member became ill), but I never count on it.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 8:54 am

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat

I can plan my time such that changes to my schedule are not that frequent and more the case SDC,I would say that in the past many times I have not been charged for a change when it was warrented but have on occasion.The GS line is not what was and is now a priority answering service not a dedicated line. As such the agent quality and experience is quite variable but given your time in GS you would know within the 15 seconds if you have a an ex GS or a better agent.If I don't get a decent agent ( on any issue ) I cut the call and dial in with hope of getting somebody more cluey.
TavionT likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
One of the "perks" of being GS is that agents have, for me at least, waived change fees most of the time. I would estimate 85% of the time over the last 6 years of being GS. Id say half the time they waived them without me asking and if they didn't, I would ask nicely to waive them, or even a HUCA, but I rarely paid them....
I think I've had an agent waive the change fee maybe once or twice in the last 5 years -- i.e. when I changed the res for reasons other than a schedule change or buyup.

I think there may be an understanding that if you're GS, you'll know about the fee. In any case, the only thing that really matters is the delta between the previous fare and the new one. What does it matter if the delta comes from change fee or increased fare?
Old Feb 15, 2019, 9:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Since OP was charged correctly and the total charge was as stated by the agent, then this is really just a complaint about change fees not being waived based on GS status, which is not in my opinion a legitimate grounds for complaint.
Plane-is-home and TerryK like this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Gold (Current Platinum), United Mileage Plus, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Kacee
Since OP was charged correctly and the total charge was as stated by the agent, then this is really just a complaint about change fees not being waived based on GS status, which is not in my opinion a legitimate grounds for complaint.
IMHO, that is a part of this, but not all of it. I think that the OP is complaining that the nature of the total charge was not fully broken down (i.e., disclosed) by the agent. Had the fees been disclosed, then the OP could have asked about the possibility of a waiver.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by JohnneeO
IMHO, that is a part of this, but not all of it. I think that the OP is complaining that the nature of the total charge was not fully broken down (i.e., disclosed) by the agent. Had the fees been disclosed, then the OP could have asked about the possibility of a waiver.
Let's be real about what happened here. OP thought the agent was waiving change fees. He later found out that while he was charged the correct amount, the change fee was not waived. That is the complaint, and I believe it unwarranted.
Often1, MatthewLAX and TerryK like this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Kacee
Let's be real about what happened here. OP thought the agent was waiving change fees. He later found out that while he was charged the correct amount, the change fee was not waived. That is the complaint, and I believe it unwarranted.
This.

It is clear from the OP that he knew that there was a change fee payable. Thus, he should not be surprised that one was charged. It is also clear that he knows how to ask for a waiver and that he did not.

This particular thread is perhaps a good example of why UA should simply stick to its COC and be done with it. No later disappointments.
fastair and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:44 am

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC
I find that change fees are waived about half the time when I call it in. However, I am a really big deal usually before 2 each day.
Kacee likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 1:12 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
This particular thread is perhaps a good example of why UA should simply stick to its COC and be done with it. No later disappointments.
Isn't that how United turned "Dao" into a verb? I think we can do better than that. A nuanced approach to many things in life is in order, including airlines change fees. I don't agree with waiving change fees for United's highest-revenue customers as a policy, but on a case-by-case basis, it isn't so terrible.

The OP's complaint appears to be the lack of breakdown in the change fee versus the fare difference. Knowing the why behind the complaint, it strikes me as a little petty. But a breakdown is the appropriate way to quote a change because that's how it shows up on your credit card and that's how United's fare rules treat it.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 1:19 pm

Whether he is complaining or not, he has a point. Whether he was planning to ask the fee to be waived is a non-issue. Breakdown should be disclosed.
JohnneeO likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by Jane42
Whether he is complaining or not, he has a point. Whether he was planning to ask the fee to be waived is a non-issue. Breakdown should be disclosed.
And it is 99,9% of the time. I change upwards of 10-20 flights per year, going back many many years, and UA has always told me about the change fee.

The claimed nondisclosure was a one-off and thus just a distraction from the real complaint about not getting a waiver based on status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.