Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is the archive thread, the active thread is Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic (How to use, will it clear?, issues w/flight credit,...)

For general information on upgrading ANA or Lufthansa flights with a GPU, see Upgrading Flights Operated by ANA or Lufthansa. You actually request the upgrade through the online form, here: Request a GPU for a Select Partner Airline.

Per United web support, you only need to fill in the required* info.

**The LH flight you are upgrading must be an LH flight, not a UA codeshare flight. If you have a UA codeshare flight, you can call websupport and they will (put you on hold and] change your itinerary to one with an LH flight#.

Note that UA websupport might give you a new ticket # when you do the above, but if the original ticket # was 016 UA stock, it will remain so, and thus you will still be earning RDMs at the UA rate (11x for a 1K), not the *A rate. In case of a $6000 biz fare for LAX-FRA that you are trying to upgrade to F for example, as a 1K you would earn 66,000 UA RDM if booked as a UA flight. And even though after booking you get them to change the UA flight # from a UA codeshare flight to an LH flight, the 016 ticket stock sticks, and you earn 66,000 RDMs.

(FYI, had the ticket stock been an LH stock, the RDM's earned would be 5790 miles x 150% = 8685 RDMs. Big difference)

Note that sometimes the online upgrading does not work, and you may get an error message to call an 877 number, which is now defunct but still resides on .bomb...Ignore it and just call web support. They might put you on hold while they call LH but they will get the job done.

Eligible Economy Fares to Apply a GPU

Upgradeable to business fares include U/H/Q the lowest eligible economy fares. G&E the two top premium economy fares and Y/B/M the most expensive economy fares. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24219165-post205.html)
While UA has not changed their T&Cs, LH appears to have expanded the potential fare classes
Originally Posted by oliver2002
For C->F upgrade, J, D, C fares are eligible, Z and P fares are not.
Originally Posted by andywaw
Effective April 20th, 2018, all Lufthansa revenue Business Class fares, including P and Z, are eligible to be upgraded to First Class using miles or eVouchers. ...
LH booking class P, Z upgreadable for miles and eVouchers
Appears this also applies to use of UA GPUs IF booked as native flight number on LH or UA ticket stock.
Presently UA is not converting codeshare to native flight numbers, as required for this process, if P or Z fare
From April to September 2018 it was possible to confirm and waitlist P ,Z-class LH flights with a GPU. Confirming and waitlisting is no now longer possible, but previously waitlisted segments will continue to clear as/if available.

Checking for Upgrade Availability

Upgrades to E, C and F come from the N, I and O fare bucket, but its a subset, which theoretically is not the same as the award subset. If awards are available it is a strong indication the upgrade is available too. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24861289-post342.html)

In case of upgrade clearing but eticket refresh problems:

Both longhaul LH segments cleared into I after being on waitlist . The first didnt get stickered, so the DCS ( amadeus altea ) rejected online and agent checkin . The eticket helpdesk had to manually update the first coupon for the DCS to accept the coupon. My seat in C was safe, since the PNR was updated correctly, just the ticket was not updated completely to the satisfaction of the DCS. Everyone looking at the booking agreed the upgrade was legit, so you will not be denied boarding or downgraded, just budget enough time
The LH GA must have called the eticket helpdesk and pointed out the * SSR remark in your reservation that shows an upgrade was applied and the e-ticket just needed a fix/sticker. See my experience above.
Checking for availability prior to calling
Upgrades to E, C and F come from the N, I and O fare bucket, but its a subset, which theoretically is not the same as the award subset. If awards are available it is a strong indication the upgrade is available too.
Use ANA or even united.com to see availability.

To check if C/F upgrades may open up, ask in this thread: Determining LH Y/C/F loads? [the help me guesstimate loads thread]

Regarding ticket stock, Oliver reports:
Any ticket stock will do.
Each LH flight segment requires a separate GPU
A single GPU can be used to only upgrade a single LH flight segment, And that GPU cannot be extended to include another LH flight segment or another UA flight segment.

Problems getting mileage credit for upgraded LH segments

Numerous reports of denial of mileage credits (RDMs, PQMs, PQSs, PQDs) for upgraded tickets. This issue is probably due to LH uses the same fare bucket for mileage awards and upgrades. It seems patience, persistence, and documentation of the originally paid fare are needed to get credit.

You probably won't get credit by simply submitting the online form or asking a CSR to do so for you. A CSR needs to submit a System Issue Form, together with the mileage request, explaining that you flew in I class, but you paid for a mileage-earning booking class.

T-10

While the original system did not allow the upgrade waitlist to carry on past t-10 hours, the have been multiple reports that this is no longer the case. If not cleared in advance - the upgrade wait-list will last all the way until the door closing. UA has not updated the text on the LH GPU upgrades to reflect this change.

Archive Thread: Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic {Archive}

Related Thread
How to upgrade with UA miles on Star Alliance carriers
Print Wikipost

Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2017, 2:24 pm

Call United during Germany business hours and have United talk directly to LH. It took me almost an hour once, but they figured it out.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Hertz Prez Circle
Ugh, I just spent 30 mins with LH. I guess I ring Monday morn.

I'm trying twitter as well.

Edit: Twitter response
Thanks for sending this Hadrian and we are saddened to hear you have been having so much trouble with this. It is a weird policy, but the ticket actually will not be re-issued until the day of departure. This will not cause you to lose the upgrade or for anything to happen, but it will stay like this until January 21. ^MM

This seems dangerous to me.... I'm holding seats on LH so in theory they could just book into C (i see they did this for one person in this thread) but I'm really not comfortable with this. Any other experiences like this???

Last edited by Hadrian35; Jan 14, 2017 at 3:06 pm
Old Jan 15, 2017, 12:32 am

Programs: UA 1K
Others can confirm, but your reservation will show the red out of sync message on united.com with a cleared GPU on LH. If it looks OK on Lufthansa.com, it's OK to fly.

Originally Posted by Hadrian35
Ugh, I just spent 30 mins with LH. I guess I ring Monday morn.

I'm trying twitter as well.

Edit: Twitter response
Thanks for sending this Hadrian and we are saddened to hear you have been having so much trouble with this. It is a weird policy, but the ticket actually will not be re-issued until the day of departure. This will not cause you to lose the upgrade or for anything to happen, but it will stay like this until January 21. ^MM

This seems dangerous to me.... I'm holding seats on LH so in theory they could just book into C (i see they did this for one person in this thread) but I'm really not comfortable with this. Any other experiences like this???
Old Jan 15, 2017, 9:03 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Call UA again, ask for the *A desk. If its a 016 ticket they have to sticker the ticket correctly. UA agents also have access to the LH system and could verify it from a LH perspective. I they want to.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 10:37 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Call UA again, ask for the *A desk. If its a 016 ticket they have to sticker the ticket correctly. UA agents also have access to the LH system and could verify it from a LH perspective. I they want to.
Unfortunately, I believe UA got rid of the *A desk.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Hertz Prez Circle
Lord, protect this ticket from the wrath of SHARES and the Gate agents.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, DL Silver
Using GPU on LH

What fare class needs to be available on LH for a GPU to go through? Would these be the same fare classes that UA shows in expert mode for a codeshare?

I ask because I'd probably fly UA, since I can get a confirmed GPU at booking, but if I can confirm a GPU at booking for LH, that would be better!
Old Jan 17, 2017, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Generally acknowledged to be I, with the caveat that:

If I is available, your GPU will clear.
If I is not available, your GPU might clear (but very likely not).
Old Jan 17, 2017, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, DL Silver
Originally Posted by findark

And if I isn't showing up in UA expert mode, is it 0?
Old Jan 17, 2017, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by nycflyer222
And if I isn't showing up in UA expert mode, is it 0?
no. There is more availability than partner avail and you have to look for the LH coded segment not the UA coded one. If I>0 then you have a near certain chance for it to go through. Check M&M award availability, I have had good success using this as a predictor whether a GPU request will clear.

Last edited by cfischer; Jan 17, 2017 at 7:02 pm
Old Jan 17, 2017, 6:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by findark

That seems to be different than I have read.

If I is available, the upgrade may clear but not guaranteed.
If no I, you are pretty much out of luck

The thread's wiki has more.
Checking for Upgrade Availability

Upgrades to E, C and F come from the N, I and O fare bucket, but its a subset, which theoretically is not the same as the award subset. If awards are available it is a strong indication the upgrade is available too. ( http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24861289-post342.html )
Old Jan 18, 2017, 11:26 pm

First Time Ever: What to follow up?

First time to try this out, and it seemed to work pretty smoothly.

Data points:

1. Booked on LH. LH Stock.
2. Went to https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...erUpgrade.aspx to fill the form.
3. Route to upgrade: SIN-FRA H->I.
4. Immediately confirmed possibly due to the 'I' inventory available in expert mode.
5. Got the UA confirmation on the website and email.

Questions:

1. Am I basically all set? I noticed the LH eTicket number has not changed at all. Tried to call 1K Desk, forwarded to International Reservations, no response. Would try tomorrow. I could pick the SIN-FRA J seats on LH.

2. Has anybody tried to credit the LH-plate LH-stock tickets into any other *A partners? Thinking heavily to credit them into KF or LH. I would be prepared to keep the receipts and BPs since LH would probably deny the mileage request at the beginning.

I did hear people had a lot of issues with UA-stock tickets trying to change it into LH flight numbers. Would the problem surface once it is within 24-hour window?

Any advice to ensure this will get through smoothly will be deeply appreciated.

Sincerely,

PaulInTheSky.

Last edited by PaulInTheSky; Jan 18, 2017 at 11:58 pm
Old Jan 18, 2017, 11:50 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

The ticket number will not change. Look at the reservation at lh.com to verify the upgrade.

you can change the ffp number without issues, just do it by calling LH before you check in. The fqtu field will still reflect the UA MP number of the GPU donor but all else will be scrubbed and replaced with the KF or m&m number.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 12:42 am

LH Upgrade Priority with United GPU

Something crazy happened to me recently on a LH-operated flight where I was trying to upgrade from Economy (B) to Business (I) with a United GPU.
I submitted the upgrade request as usual from the United partner GPU upgrade about one month before departure and was waitlisted. The upgrade request showed up properly in the LH reservation as waitlisted.
I am a 1k with StarAlliance Gold Status, my reservation is class B, full fare economy.
A friend of mine, who has NO status, had a ticket on class U (discount economy)got upgraded instantly to business class on the very same flight using a GPU submitted a week before departure. I never got cleared and had to fly economy. I called LH multiple times but no one had a clue.
How on earth is is possible that someone with lower/no status, lower fare class, request submitted later gets cleared ahead of me???
I seriously start doubting how LH upgrade priority works or if something is screwed up in their computer system. Unfortunately, no one at LH has a clue, I called several agents and always got the answer that "we don't know, we don't handle upgrade priority".

Now I am really concerned about future flights. I had a nearly 100% success rate with upgrades on LH flights. Now I am completely puzzled as to what is going on with their system.

Any similar experience or suggestions on what to do?
Old Jan 19, 2017, 1:41 am

The RM module was badly messed up sometime around the 6-10th January. See posts #820.

Also when all works well, LH uses Altea's Inventory module Revenue Availability with Active Valuation system to rank customers for upgrades.
A nobody in U can trump a *G in B depending on the active valuation of the fare paid for that segment.

http://www.amadeus.com/web/amadeus/e...=1319616835815

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.