Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is the archive thread, the active thread is Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic (How to use, will it clear?, issues w/flight credit,...)

For general information on upgrading ANA or Lufthansa flights with a GPU, see Upgrading Flights Operated by ANA or Lufthansa. You actually request the upgrade through the online form, here: Request a GPU for a Select Partner Airline.

Per United web support, you only need to fill in the required* info.

**The LH flight you are upgrading must be an LH flight, not a UA codeshare flight. If you have a UA codeshare flight, you can call websupport and they will (put you on hold and] change your itinerary to one with an LH flight#.

Note that UA websupport might give you a new ticket # when you do the above, but if the original ticket # was 016 UA stock, it will remain so, and thus you will still be earning RDMs at the UA rate (11x for a 1K), not the *A rate. In case of a $6000 biz fare for LAX-FRA that you are trying to upgrade to F for example, as a 1K you would earn 66,000 UA RDM if booked as a UA flight. And even though after booking you get them to change the UA flight # from a UA codeshare flight to an LH flight, the 016 ticket stock sticks, and you earn 66,000 RDMs.

(FYI, had the ticket stock been an LH stock, the RDM's earned would be 5790 miles x 150% = 8685 RDMs. Big difference)

Note that sometimes the online upgrading does not work, and you may get an error message to call an 877 number, which is now defunct but still resides on .bomb...Ignore it and just call web support. They might put you on hold while they call LH but they will get the job done.

Eligible Economy Fares to Apply a GPU

Upgradeable to business fares include U/H/Q the lowest eligible economy fares. G&E the two top premium economy fares and Y/B/M the most expensive economy fares. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24219165-post205.html)
While UA has not changed their T&Cs, LH appears to have expanded the potential fare classes
Originally Posted by oliver2002
For C->F upgrade, J, D, C fares are eligible, Z and P fares are not.
Originally Posted by andywaw
Effective April 20th, 2018, all Lufthansa revenue Business Class fares, including P and Z, are eligible to be upgraded to First Class using miles or eVouchers. ...
LH booking class P, Z upgreadable for miles and eVouchers
Appears this also applies to use of UA GPUs IF booked as native flight number on LH or UA ticket stock.
Presently UA is not converting codeshare to native flight numbers, as required for this process, if P or Z fare
From April to September 2018 it was possible to confirm and waitlist P ,Z-class LH flights with a GPU. Confirming and waitlisting is no now longer possible, but previously waitlisted segments will continue to clear as/if available.

Checking for Upgrade Availability

Upgrades to E, C and F come from the N, I and O fare bucket, but its a subset, which theoretically is not the same as the award subset. If awards are available it is a strong indication the upgrade is available too. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24861289-post342.html)

In case of upgrade clearing but eticket refresh problems:

Both longhaul LH segments cleared into I after being on waitlist . The first didnt get stickered, so the DCS ( amadeus altea ) rejected online and agent checkin . The eticket helpdesk had to manually update the first coupon for the DCS to accept the coupon. My seat in C was safe, since the PNR was updated correctly, just the ticket was not updated completely to the satisfaction of the DCS. Everyone looking at the booking agreed the upgrade was legit, so you will not be denied boarding or downgraded, just budget enough time
The LH GA must have called the eticket helpdesk and pointed out the * SSR remark in your reservation that shows an upgrade was applied and the e-ticket just needed a fix/sticker. See my experience above.
Checking for availability prior to calling
Upgrades to E, C and F come from the N, I and O fare bucket, but its a subset, which theoretically is not the same as the award subset. If awards are available it is a strong indication the upgrade is available too.
Use ANA or even united.com to see availability.

To check if C/F upgrades may open up, ask in this thread: Determining LH Y/C/F loads? [the help me guesstimate loads thread]

Regarding ticket stock, Oliver reports:
Any ticket stock will do.
Each LH flight segment requires a separate GPU
A single GPU can be used to only upgrade a single LH flight segment, And that GPU cannot be extended to include another LH flight segment or another UA flight segment.

Problems getting mileage credit for upgraded LH segments

Numerous reports of denial of mileage credits (RDMs, PQMs, PQSs, PQDs) for upgraded tickets. This issue is probably due to LH uses the same fare bucket for mileage awards and upgrades. It seems patience, persistence, and documentation of the originally paid fare are needed to get credit.

You probably won't get credit by simply submitting the online form or asking a CSR to do so for you. A CSR needs to submit a System Issue Form, together with the mileage request, explaining that you flew in I class, but you paid for a mileage-earning booking class.

T-10

While the original system did not allow the upgrade waitlist to carry on past t-10 hours, the have been multiple reports that this is no longer the case. If not cleared in advance - the upgrade wait-list will last all the way until the door closing. UA has not updated the text on the LH GPU upgrades to reflect this change.

Archive Thread: Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic {Archive}

Related Thread
How to upgrade with UA miles on Star Alliance carriers
Print Wikipost

Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2016, 5:12 am

Programs: UA 1K MM,Marriott platinum,ihg spire
Originally Posted by erwin123
Requested the upgrade via UA website and was accepted.
Unfortunately, it got waitlisted.
Guess I'll have to wait and see if it clears.

expertflyer shows F4 A0 J9 C9 D0 Z0 P0 G9 E0 N0 Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T3 L0 K0 with 21 seats open on the seatmap , so guess I still have a chance
Got a notification email from united today indicating that the upgrade cleared. Checked my reservation on lh website and upgrade to I is confirmed. One minor thing, it does not allow seat selection.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 7:21 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by cfischer
It is one or the other. Either UA goofed or LH downgraded. Both cannot be true at the same time. Ask UA for compensation; LH will be much worse and other than pointing fingers at UA nothing good will come out of this.
Indeed, thanks for the feedback. My line of thinking had been confirmed reservation (albeit not ticket) in business class but seated in economy = involuntary downgrade.

Email sent to 1Kvoice, will see what their feedback on this is.

Originally Posted by cfischer
Why not OLCI? That would have given plenty of time to fix things.
Good point, and I should have encouraged her to do this. Unfortunately I was on my own way elsewhere and didn't think about it. I have had several problems with OLCI and LH (on UA tickets) in the past, especially with GPUs in the mix.

In hindsight, I should have called UA immediately after it was confirmed but I could see both Business and Economy in the PNR.
Old Oct 10, 2016, 3:35 pm

Any way to see waitlist status?

I am waitlisted with a D class fare trying to upgrade to F on:
LH 455 on 10/21 from SFO to FRA
LH 754 on 10/22 from FRA to BLR
LH 454 on 11/09 from FRA to SFO

I have been on the waitlist a while. Expert flyer shows:
LH 455 F3 A2 J4 C0 D0 Z0 P0 G5 E0 N0 Y9 B9 M5 U0 H0 Q0 V0 W0 S0 T0 L0 K0
LH 754 F3 A2 J4 C0 D0 Z0 P0 G5 E0 N0 Y9 B9 M5 U0 H0 Q0 V0 W0 S0 T0 L0 K0
LH 454 F3 A1 J9 C9 D9 Z9 P9 G9 E9 N9 Y9 B9 M9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K9

So plenty of space in F on all the flights... any idea how I know where I am in the waitlist or to push it? I'm also GS on UA...
Old Oct 10, 2016, 4:15 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Only LH agents can see your position on the list, and usually don't disclose it. You are ranked by *G status and the pcv of the ticket (ie fare paid).
Old Oct 10, 2016, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by erwin123
Got a notification email from united today indicating that the upgrade cleared. Checked my reservation on lh website and upgrade to I is confirmed. One minor thing, it does not allow seat selection.
I would call in and get a seat assignment. I've had that problem before, and it turned out to be nothing. But at least then an agent can look at your reservation and make sure everything is okay.

As this thread highlights, unfortunately these upgrades on LH with UA GPUs require a lot of babysitting to ensure things don't go wrong.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 6:28 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by ajnz
Email sent to 1Kvoice, will see what their feedback on this is.
$250 ETC was their offer.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 7:31 am

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
So as long as the tickets are 016 stock, and upgradeable fares, you should get PQDs and PQMs? Specifically on U, Q and Y fares is what I have. Does booking under the UA or LH flight number make a difference?

Have a Q flight that I upgraded that the app is saying isn't eligible for PQD/M. Hoping that it just an upgrade issue and computer snafu.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 7:52 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

It should be on LH flight numbers, upgrading LH operated UA codeshares is theoretically possible, but a pain for all parties involved.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 10:11 am

Programs: UA 1K
For what it's worth, just had the 1K line convert UA codeshares to LH flight numbers on two tickets bought on United.com. Took about 30 minutes. Also, one of the 016 tickets had only LH flights.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 11:53 am

Programs: UA 1K and MM
I upgraded SFO-MUC from E class on an LH Flight number and United 016 ticket stock, and after the upgrade cleared it showed ineligible for PQD/M in the United app. But when the flight showed up on my mileage plus account, I got full credit for the E-class premium economy fare (which actually gave class bonus miles for PE). So I think its a computer glitch since the upgrade booked into "I" class I believe, which doesnt normally earn miles for Lufthansa flights (I think its an award ticket class).

Originally Posted by PushingTin
So as long as the tickets are 016 stock, and upgradeable fares, you should get PQDs and PQMs? Specifically on U, Q and Y fares is what I have. Does booking under the UA or LH flight number make a difference?

Have a Q flight that I upgraded that the app is saying isn't eligible for PQD/M. Hoping that it just an upgrade issue and computer snafu.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K-MM
Originally Posted by PushingTin

As others have said, this is a computer glitch - if you would have gotten PQD/M on the original fare class, you will get it, it just displays wrong after the upgrade clears.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 2:25 pm

Programs: UAL 1K/1MM, Go Zags!
Google Flights

I mentioned this over on the LH Premium notestring as well but thought I'd post it here.

Yesterday I was able to book SEA-FRA-FRA-GEG on Google Flights and get LH Premium on both legs over the water, with one UA domestic hop, all on UA.com 016 ticket stock. I was just doing this to get the Premium product but then noticed the flight numbers were LH, not UA. So I was able to use my last remaining GPU to upgrade my return flight using the online tool.

I did not have to call the service desk to get them to change the flight numbers to LH and possibly muck up the reservation (as happened to me before).

I was then able to choose my seats on LH.com, for both Premium and Business.

I think I am using Google Flights going forward, it was really slick...^^^
Old Oct 27, 2016, 1:22 pm

Location: Various tier levels of frequent flyer/hotel plans received for bellyaching about minor flaws in the service I received.
I had an electronic GPU clear on Lufthansa earlier this month - everything was fine in my record. Checked my intin yesterday and saw "A modification has been made to your itinerary. Please contact United Reservations to have your ticket reissued." I called the 1K desk and was told "something may have happened on the Lufthansa end, but if we reissue the ticket, you may lose your upgrade." She also said "we've been specifically told not to reissue Lufthansa tickets with a redeemed GPU because we've had problems with them." I was also told, you won't be able to check in for your United flight online, but just do it at the airport. I've checked my Lufthansa reservation and things seem to be normal. However, I'm concerned that things will get screwed up along the way. Any advice? Do I need to be concerned?
Old Oct 27, 2016, 1:42 pm

Call LH and ask them to take a look if the ticket still lines up with the booking....
Old Oct 27, 2016, 2:33 pm

Location: Various tier levels of frequent flyer/hotel plans received for bellyaching about minor flaws in the service I received.
Call LH and ask them to take a look if the ticket still lines up with the booking....
Thanks! I did and after 20 minutes of arguing with the Lufthansa agent who swore on a stack of bibles that I was on the waitlist and that United GPUs only confirm when a "ticket is issued by United" she magically upgraded me when I found the email confirming my upgrade and started quoting it to her. UGH!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.