Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

TATL BE carryon bag rules? Partner flights United codeshare / purchase

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2019, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

We purchased Basic Economy tickets on United from Atlanta to Amsterdam. From my research it seems that United allows a full size carry on bag on trans Atlantic flights for basic economy tickets. Here is my question. All of the flights are code shares, Air Canada ATL to Toronto. Air Canada Toronto to Amsterdam. Lufthansa from AMA to Frankfurt and Frankfury to ATL. How will taking carry on bags work with these code shares? Does each carrier have their own rules? Even if they do follow the United rules, would the outbound first leg to Toronto be free because its a connection to a trans Atlantic flight? and the same for AMS to Frankfurt? I know these are the pitfalls with Basic Economy. Also no one in the party has status on United, we Live in Atlanta and almost always fly Delta.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
The individual carriers' rules will apply on a per-segment basis according to the operating carrier of that segment. As far as I know, there are no unified agreements to harmonize cabin baggage requirements. However, I don't believe any non-US carrier has a special restriction against cabin baggage for deep discount ("basic" -- note that some carriers use a different term and "basic economy" is not their cheapest offering) fares.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
You should have regular cabin baggage allowance. That said - ‘regular’ is going to be Air Canada’s cabin bag allowance, which I beleive are different than UAs. Don’t recall the exact dimensions, but I think it’s a bit smaller.

Check with ACs site for sure.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by findark
The individual carriers' rules will apply on a per-segment basis according to the operating carrier of that segment. ....
This and the rules vary.
Warning LH has 8 kg / 17 lbs limit for carry and on will enforce that on check-in.
AC is 10 kg / 22 lbs but seems a bit looser in practice,

UA's no weight limit is not the norm.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Thank you!

So does Lufthansa actually weigh carry ons at the gate?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 29, 2019 at 9:40 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:22 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Originally Posted by teamhurst
Often times they won't weigh, but if the bag looks a bit bigger they will demand you gate check it. My bag is essentially right at the dimensions, so they constantly will tell me to gate check. I've resorted to keeping a LH carry on bag tag on my bag to avoid the constant asking.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:58 am

I've flown a number of *A partners on both UA codeshares as well as operating carriers own plated tickets. They include NH, LH, TK, OS, SN, AC, BR, TG and MS. The only time my carry-on bag was considered for weight restrictions was on a LH paid business class fare originating in TUN. However, the agent decided to overlook the restriction as a courtesy. I only travel with a regulation size wheeled carry-on in addition to a very overstuffed computer bag.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 9:44 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by teamhurst
I have had LH weight bags at check-in and then placed a tag on the item verifying it was checked. Not always but many times.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 9:45 am

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
In general I have found the European airlines much more assertive in enforcing weight restrictions, TAP have been very disciplined (two at the gate spotters)
the past few times I have flown them from LHR.The American standard of being physically able to lift a bag as Wine Country mentions above is not the norm.
Probably won''t change until somebody drops a 40lb pull along a kids head ,then all hell will break loose

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.