Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

All UA award space for TP&TG (gone - now back?) & SQ still gone??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2019, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Message on UA.com when searching for awards outside USA

updated evening (PST) 27 Feb 2019 to
Award travel on Singapore Airlines is temporarily unavailable. Our airline partner is diligently working with us to address this situation.
previously
Award travel on Singapore Airlines, TAP Air Portugal and THAI is temporarily unavailable through MileagePlus.
— We’re working on making these awards available, and you may still be able to find awards on other partners.
Plus ANA(now restored).
Print Wikipost

All UA award space for TP&TG (gone - now back?) & SQ still gone??

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
I wonder if this problem exists in the opposite direction? In other words, are TP, TG and SQ frequent flier program members unable to book space on United flights using their FF points/miles? If it is a reciprocal difficulty, that might provide a greater motivation for both parties to fix the problem, as opposed to if it is just a one-way blockage. Anyone know whether this IT disruption is bi-directional?
Old Jan 26, 2019, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by transportprof
I wonder if this problem exists in the opposite direction? In other words, are TP, TG and SQ frequent flier program members unable to book space on United flights using their FF points/miles? If it is a reciprocal difficulty, that might provide a greater motivation for both parties to fix the problem, as opposed to if it is just a one-way blockage. Anyone know whether this IT disruption is bi-directional?
Just logged in my SQ Kris Flyer account and found UA SFO-PVG saver award availability.

No problem there.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 11:08 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
I was able to book a TG flight on Mileageplus last week after these problems starting coming up by calling United.com support. May be I was lucky.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by hyho61
I was able to book a TG flight on Mileageplus last week after these problems starting coming up by calling United.com support. May be I was lucky.
That is great to hear. For TP calling didn't work last month.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 12:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I don't think these disruptions have ever gone that way. It's always been UA blocking partner space.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rrgg
That is great to hear. For TP calling didn't work last month.
TP still doesn’t work, but I had luck booking TG over the phone this week — had a conversation with an agent who said the TP integration is still not resolved. I even had problems with a LH codeshare revenue ticket on TP’s own website - didn’t ticket in 24 hours and they called me to say the fare wasn’t available and had gone up. Frustrating.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA 1k
I booked a UA award flight with TP segments with .com support over the phone a few days ago, all confirmed on TP website too
Old Jan 26, 2019, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
I don't think these disruptions have ever gone that way. It's always been UA blocking partner space.
So then the technical incompatibility issue between Amadeus and SHARES is a moot point. If the IT was not compatible, SQ wouldn't be able to book any more seats on UA than UA can book on SQ, for example. But if SQ can book UA inventory for its KrisFlyer members, then the systems can communicate just fine.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 8:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
So then the technical incompatibility issue between Amadeus and SHARES is a moot point. If the IT was not compatible, SQ wouldn't be able to book any more seats on UA than UA can book on SQ, for example. But if SQ can book UA inventory for its KrisFlyer members, then the systems can communicate just fine.
From a pure logic point of view and past experiences with communications between distinct systems, success in one direction does not assure success in the other direction. Not claiming that is the underlying issue with UA but the success of others to book UA flights does not eliminate the possibility of UA is unable to book those other carriers' awards.

Simple example -- have you ever been on a phone call where you can hear the other person but they can not hear you? Worked in one direction but fails in the other.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
From a pure logic point of view and past experiences with communications between distinct systems, success in one direction does not assure success in the other direction. Not claiming that is the underlying issue with UA but the success of others to book UA flights does not eliminate the possibility of UA is unable to book those other carriers' awards.

Simple example -- have you ever been on a phone call where you can hear the other person but they can not hear you? Worked in one direction but fails in the other.
Your example is quite logical, but if there is nothing more intentional in the IT snafu over time, should there not be a roughly random distribution of instances when one carrier cannot book the other's award space?

It seems to me that, over time, the distribution of IT "glitches" that prevent award booking has been biased toward United. I know that Aeroplan also has had some IT problems, but are other *A carriers prone to these disruptions?
Old Jan 28, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat

It seems to me that, over time, the distribution of IT "glitches" that prevent award booking has been biased toward United. I know that Aeroplan also has had some IT problems, but are other *A carriers prone to these disruptions?
TK is currently completely unable to book award tickets on UA/AC, but UA is able to book on TK just fine.

I think the main factor is that most *A carriers are on the same CRS platform (Amadeus), so they have the advantage of pooled development resources from a variety of carriers when starnet issues come up. In contrast, the likes of UA/TK off on their own system probably have to do a lot more maintenance to keep their systems tied in with partner carriers' CRSs properly.
mrt88 likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Oneworld Emerald, Star Alliance Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus
There might be hope after all...

Originally Posted by becharted
An interesting data point: have an SQ award booked and if I try to make changes to it, then all of a sudden other TG/SQ options show up. So not exactly sure why it shows up for amendments and not for new bookings.
Just want to follow up on this. I gave up waiting as availability was drying up and was able to successfully ticket another SQ award by adding a destination to an existing award reservation. So if you’ve got any awards already ticketed, I encourage you to have a look at changing the flights and then choosing to add in a new destination (leaving the old flight in-tact) to see if the flights you want show up. They did for me and no issues booking via the online tool. Also a good opportunity to take advantage of UA’s excursionist perk so your flight might end up being free if you play your cards right.
FlyingHighlander likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
UA has to resolve this situation one way or the other! As things stand now, it is not possible to book an award ticket between Hong Kong and Singapore! At least it wasn't for the days I was searching.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 11:17 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
UA has to resolve this situation one way or the other! As things stand now, it is not possible to book an award ticket between Hong Kong and Singapore! At least it wasn't for the days I was searching.
Instead of offering free TV on some domestic flights, UA should just fix this issue as well as the PZ=0 problem. However I'm not holding my breath, as it is nearly 3 weeks now. <sigh>
Old Jan 31, 2019, 11:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
...it is not possible to book an award ticket between Hong Kong and Singapore!...
And it's virtually impossible to make a booking for flights from Australia to South East Asia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.