Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No more "through checking" / interlining of bags when connecting from BE

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more "through checking" / interlining of bags when connecting from BE

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2023, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
There is no interline restriction. UA just does not allow you to bypass the 'no checked bag' rule just because you have another ticket on them or a partner that allows for a free bag.
Actually, there are multiple reports of agents refusing to interline from a BE ticket to another ticket.
Old Jun 28, 2023, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
There is no interline restriction. UA just does not allow you to bypass the 'no checked bag' rule just because you have another ticket on them or a partner that allows for a free bag.
Originally Posted by jsloan
Actually, there are multiple reports of agents refusing to interline from a BE ticket to another ticket.
not sure interline is the proper terminology for what the OP is asking about, but were getting into semantics here. I think the OP is referring to the reports that UA will not check a bag through on separate tickets (regardless of whether they are different carriers or are both UA) when you book a domestic BE fare to get to an international gateway.

I have no direct experience, and will unlikely ever book domestic BE as a stand-alone, and definitely never would if I had an international connection to connect to, but Id assume the restriction is still there, unless the OP wants to test the case. IME, for me, the risk is too great.

After the week UA is having, bags aside, Id be doubly hesitant to do this - even here in SFO weve had lots of knockon effects of the issues via crew availability, so, for example, the SFO-BNA flight I was booked on last night (and I canceled earlier for reasons a couple of days ago) was canceled (in fact, both of yesterdays flights on this route were canceled due to crew), despite there being no WX issues here or in BNA. Even on a non-BE, separate ticket that could be an issue, but Id also suspect being BE puts one farther down the totem pole for rebooking priority - would definitely be a shame to miss a connecting international flight due to de-priority of being on BE and having to be rebooked on a later flight vs. earlier. Obviously, YMMV.
SPN Lifer and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jun 28, 2023, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
when the ticket came WITH a bag allowance? Like in the OPs case? Yes, if BE w/o bag allowance then clearly that's a problem. If you buy a bag w/ BE or have another way of getting a free bag ... there shouldn't be any technical reason for UA to be able to check the bag through to LX
Old Jun 28, 2023, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

when the ticket came WITH a bag allowance? Like in the OPs case? Yes, if BE w/o bag allowance then clearly that's a problem. If you buy a bag w/ BE or have another way of getting a free bag ... there shouldn't be any technical reason for UA to be able to check the bag through to LX
The first posts on this thread were posted by a 1K.
Old Jun 28, 2023, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

who said anything about a reason why UA couldnt [technically] check the bag through?Its that they likely wont. Theres a difference between being able to do something, and actually doing it. Just because something can be done, it doesnt mean it will.

in the OPs situation, others have reported being told by agents that they wont do it (as a policy) on a domestic BE ticket to an international itinerary. UA likely has a policy against it because they dont want people to do what the OP is doing, and so that is their way of discouraging it. They want you instead to buy the [presumably more expensive, as in OPs case] O-D itinerary.

As a matter of practice, UA also has a policy of not checking bags through to non-*A partners on separate tickets. Again, assuming the other carrier has an interline agreement with UA, which is probable in many of the cases when they will now deny doing it, it can be done, they have just decided they wont do it.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 9:34 pm

I had UA agents attempt to not interline on a non-BE ticket. They just don't like doing that. The "rule" they quote is most likely their own invention.
Consider, that if you paid for a checked bag on a BE fare or have a free bag on a BE fare due to status, there really isn't anything different about it than any other economy fare.
Just the usual UA BS (but, admittedly, lately a number of airlines try to do that, and in doing so reduce the value of "alliance")
Old Jun 29, 2023, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tr3k
I had UA agents attempt to not interline on a non-BE ticket. They just don't like doing that. The "rule" they quote is most likely their own invention.
Consider, that if you paid for a checked bag on a BE fare or have a free bag on a BE fare due to status, there really isn't anything different about it than any other economy fare.
Just the usual UA BS (but, admittedly, lately a number of airlines try to do that, and in doing so reduce the value of "alliance")
BS is in the eye of the beholder, I guess.

yes, it is by policy, not by it cant be done (unless the other carrier is not an interline partner). The point of the policy is to discourage people from behavior like buying separate tickets to avoid the fares they are charging O-D. They interline to non-alliance partners on a single ticket, and generally,
will interline on separate tickets within the alliance (though I dont deny there are likely instances where agents dont want to make the effort, and potentially others where the agents may actually be ok doing it but dont know how/were never trained).
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
I have no direct experience, and will unlikely ever book domestic BE as a stand-alone, and definitely never would if I had an international connection to connect to, but Id assume the restriction is still there, unless the OP wants to test the case. IME, for me, the risk is too great.

After the week UA is having, bags aside, Id be doubly hesitant to do this - even here in SFO weve had lots of knockon effects of the issues via crew availability, so, for example, the SFO-BNA flight I was booked on last night (and I canceled earlier for reasons a couple of days ago) was canceled (in fact, both of yesterdays flights on this route were canceled due to crew), despite there being no WX issues here or in BNA. Even on a non-BE, separate ticket that could be an issue, but Id also suspect being BE puts one farther down the totem pole for rebooking priority - would definitely be a shame to miss a connecting international flight due to de-priority of being on BE and having to be rebooked on a later flight vs. earlier. Obviously, YMMV.
Thanks everyone. I ended up just buying a regular economy ticket.

I normally wouldn't buy a separate ticket for a same day connection, but for ORD, in the worst case, I can just drive there in 3 hours.
Old Aug 12, 2023, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by IndyHoosier
Thanks everyone. I ended up just buying a regular economy ticket.

I normally wouldn't buy a separate ticket for a same day connection, but for ORD, in the worst case, I can just drive there in 3 hours.
I ended up not taking that flight. However, I booked a J UA award ticket from ORD-GRU thru LifeMiles and a separate BE ticket from IND-ORD. The UA agent in IND wasn't sure if she could when I first asked, but when she tried on her computer, she had no issue checking my bag all the way through to GRU and it arrived in GRU with no issue this past Wednesday.

Edit to add, I have no status with UA, just the Explorer credit card.
SPN Lifer and Xyzzy like this.

Last edited by IndyHoosier; Aug 12, 2023 at 2:39 pm
Old May 19, 2024, 2:39 pm

Brother flew BE to lax, then to hkg on separate UA ticket.

wont check through to HKG - hes a UA gold member.

united BE is a PITA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.