Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United App: discussion, bugs, ... (Android , IOS, ...) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United App: discussion, bugs, ... (Android , IOS, ...) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2019, 12:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Flying on the 26th and will update APP on the 24th as soon as it's available....so I can complain about it here on FT!
Old Jan 22, 2019, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I'm flying on the 24th and have no problems updating the app that morning if it's out. Remember, United may release it to Google and Apple on the 24th but they both will take their time to test it and make sure it doesn't cause crashes, etc. on the OS. It could be days before the public gets it. Or, United could have already sent it to Google and Apple and they've scheduled the 24th as the "go" date. Guess we'll see.

And why would anyone care if the app updates before their travel and are afraid to lose their BP in the wallet? It's too difficult to go to a kiosk and print one out should the app not properly display your BP? I don't understand. Live a little...update the app and see what happens. It's not like your reservation is going to disappear/cancel automatically by updating the app.

-RM
Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:00 pm

Programs: United GS, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
And why would anyone care if the app updates before their travel and are afraid to lose their BP in the wallet?
-RM
Exactly!

And if you are using an iPhone, you can save it to Apple Wallet and keep it as a souvenir, like I do
Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
UA employees should now have access to the new app

Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
I'm flying on the 24th and have no problems updating the app that morning if it's out. Remember, United may release it to Google and Apple on the 24th but they both will take their time to test it and make sure it doesn't cause crashes, etc. on the OS. It could be days before the public gets it. Or, United could have already sent it to Google and Apple and they've scheduled the 24th as the "go" date. Guess we'll see.

And why would anyone care if the app updates before their travel and are afraid to lose their BP in the wallet? It's too difficult to go to a kiosk and print one out should the app not properly display your BP? I don't understand. Live a little...update the app and see what happens. It's not like your reservation is going to disappear/cancel automatically by updating the app.

-RM
I can wait for the weekend after my travel
is finished. What’s the big hurry? What good could come from
uodating as opposed to what BAD could come.

Remembering the Shares v Apollo conversion.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by tryathlete

I can wait for the weekend after my travel
is finished. What’s the big hurry? What good could come from
uodating as opposed to what BAD could come.

Remembering the Shares v Apollo conversion.
To each their own. Just doesn't make sense to me why people are waiting to update an app because they are afraid they will lose their BP. Like the mobile app is the only way to get a BP.

But comparing this to Shares vs Apollo is unequivocally different. The mobile app is "lipstick on a pig". In this case the pig is Shares because Shares stores all the back-end data. The mobile app does nothing but "read" that data and present it to the user. Sure, there are other systems than Shares involved with things like flight status, etc. but none of the data is generated by the mobile app; it simply shows you what you request to see and that data comes from other servers.

No harm in waiting for the weekend of course. But many on this thread are excited to try the new features and provide useful and constructive feedback to United after it's released. Supposedly the app was tested by hundreds of 'real' UA flyers. Hopefully their feedback has been incorporated.

-RM
Old Jan 23, 2019, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Why? Because United's IT department have not exactly covered themselves in glory over the past few years. A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush. No, the world won't stop spinning if something goes wrong - but others can find that out, or not, not me.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 7:28 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott lifetime Plt, UA 1MM
yea think I'll wait for v 2.1
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:49 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
I upgraded to the new app last night.

Initial impression is very good. The core functionality (booking, flight status, etc.) hasn't changed; it looks and works very much like the old app. The biggest changes I noticed are that things are better organized (improved navigation) and the app seems faster. There's also an option to pull up the flight schedule (without regard to availability) which is a nice addition.

I've only spent a few minutes looking around at this point. I have a flight on Friday where I'll use the app and see how that goes.

Last edited by LarryJ; Jan 23, 2019 at 9:05 am
Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interestingly, even though I said I wouldn't upgrade, I kept the old apk and thought I would see if I could update but I get an error code from the play store - however that is for an app update for 9 Jan 19, version 2.1.67. What is the version number of the new app?
Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:54 am
Company Representative, United Airlines

I believe IBM is behind the United app as well. IBM is also behind the United app that's run onboard the planes by the FAs I believe.

-RM
We're excited about our updated app, which our inhouse digital team spent over a year designing. We hope you enjoy using it!

- UA Insider

Originally Posted by emcampbe

Don’t know for sure. UA has a deal with IBM, that’s got a suite of something like one or two dozen apps for the airline industry - various parts of it. Beleive the suite of tools the FAs have onboard is IBM and part of the deal..not entirely sure if that extends to the customer-facing UA app too. Would make sense, though in the airline industry....
Our inhouse digital team spent over a year designing and creating the updated customer-facing app, and we hope you love it!

- UA Insider

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 23, 2019 at 11:30 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:01 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Interestingly, even though I said I wouldn't upgrade, I kept the old apk and thought I would see if I could update but I get an error code from the play store - however that is for an app update for 9 Jan 19, version 2.1.67. What is the version number of the new app?
It is 2.1.67 on my Android phone.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by UA Insider
We're excited about our updated app, which our inhouse digital team spent over a year designing. We hope you enjoy using it!

- UA Insider
When will it be available to the public (it's not showing in iTunes/app store currently).
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LarryJ
It is 2.1.67 on my Android phone.
Thanks, I am on 2.1.66 at the moment and I wonder because I am in the UK it is being blocked. I have never found the error codes from Google useful (error code 910) and it usually sorts itself out in time.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 11:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, B9, AA, DL, WN
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Our inhouse digital team spent over a year designing and creating the updated customer-facing app, and we hope you love it!

- UA Insider
Why does that feel like a warning rather than an enticement

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.