Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Lima Service Transitioning to Polaris November 1, 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lima Service Transitioning to Polaris November 1, 2018

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2019, 9:43 pm

Programs: CO OnePass; AAdvantage Dirt; IHG Priority Club Plat; Hyatt Plat; Marriott Gold; Avis PresPref;
Yes Polaris, No CPU

Originally Posted by letsbeadventurers
Any update on this?

also - does this flight count toward complimentary upgrades?
Flew IAH-LIM in Polaris last April, both ways 767 with new Polaris seats. Aisles are quite narrow but seats are quite nice and service was great in both directions.

CPUs are not valid on flights to LIM. There are some destinations like MEX that while technically international (though not Polaris) are eligible for CPUs but not LIM.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by SeamusSA
Flew IAH-LIM in Polaris last April, both ways 767 with new Polaris seats. Aisles are quite narrow but seats are quite nice and service was great in both directions.

CPUs are not valid on flights to LIM. There are some destinations like MEX that while technically international (though not Polaris) are eligible for CPUs but not LIM.
Not to take this too far OT but I don't believe there's a single routed marketed as Polaris that allows CPU.
iluv2fly and EWR764 like this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 3:06 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by phoxay
I flew from IAH<->LIM and sometimes you can get into the Polaris Business class at 35K miles business saver award ticket.
which is a good deal compare to the USD$3500 ticket price.

that 767-300 is relatively good seat as a Polaris Business class, it's fully flat and Saks fifth avenue duvet, also with amenity kit.
also 2 meals provided, one is the normal lunch/dinner meal, another is light fruit meal prior arrival.

I see things haven't changed with the pre arrival meal since 2016.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 3:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
LIM is technically Polaris service, but it’s catered more like a premium transcon. Not sure why it’s different.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 5:31 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by EWR764
LIM is technically Polaris service, but it’s catered more like a premium transcon. Not sure why it’s different.
For such a short flight. Not really complaining that much. It's nice to be able to use Polaris lounges to fill in the gap food wise.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by VWang1111

For such a short flight. Not really complaining that much. It's nice to be able to use Polaris lounges to fill in the gap food wise.
Certainly an improvement from not being a Polaris market yet subject to same upgrade rules.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 8:15 am
yrp

Question about lounge access on connection in Lima

We're flying EWR-LIM-VVI in Polaris (P fare class) next week. The LIM-VVI connection is in economy with LATAM -- flight offers only economy.

Would we have lounge access to the Sumaq VIP lounge in Lima based on being on a business class ticket? Or is it strictly based on the departure cabin class?

I suspect I know the answer -- from what I've read, it is the latter (no access). But some airlines (eg AC) do allow access based on the ticket class if the connecting flight doesn't have a J cabin.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 8:23 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by VWang1111

For LIM-IAH I would agree with you (and given the timing of the flight makes sense). For EWR-LIM, and even IAH-LIM to an extent, I think it's totally unacceptable the level of catering they are providing. I recently posted in the Polaris meal thread how dreadful the food was (hint: there's more food on premium transcons, most of which are ~2-3 hours less flying time). 3 options instead of 5, no midflight chips or fruit, arrival plate is the same cheese plate from the dessert service, no bottled water, etc.

Originally Posted by yrp
We're flying EWR-LIM-VVI in Polaris (P fare class) next week. The LIM-VVI connection is in economy with LATAM -- flight offers only economy.

Would we have lounge access to the Sumaq VIP lounge in Lima based on being on a business class ticket? Or is it strictly based on the departure cabin class?

I suspect I know the answer -- from what I've read, it is the latter (no access). But some airlines (eg AC) do allow access based on the ticket class if the connecting flight doesn't have a J cabin.
Believe it's the latter as well but hopefully someone else can confirm. FWIW, if you're flying the same route going back, make sure you get some sort of stamp or admission paper from UA or LATAM so there's no issue with access. I connected via LIM going back to IAH in Polaris a few weeks ago and getting in the lounge was a huge hassle since I didn't receive anything from AV (leaving Cusco) and obviously had no reason to leave security and visit the UA check-in counter at LIM to get the stamp or paper they hand out for the lounge.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 12:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by yrp
...But some airlines (eg AC) do allow access based on the ticket class if the connecting flight doesn't have a J cabin.
Some airlines allow access to their operated lounges when arriving on the lounge operator's qualifying flight (UA does). But no UA operated lounge in LIM.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 1:51 pm
yrp

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Some airlines allow access to their operated lounges when arriving on the lounge operator's qualifying flight (UA does). But no UA operated lounge in LIM.
Thanks, as I'd figured. It is a late evening layover, so would be nice to be comfy but no big deal.

Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
For LIM-IAH I would agree with you (and given the timing of the flight makes sense). For EWR-LIM, and even IAH-LIM to an extent, I think it's totally unacceptable the level of catering they are providing. I recently posted in the Polaris meal thread how dreadful the food was (hint: there's more food on premium transcons, most of which are ~2-3 hours less flying time). 3 options instead of 5, no midflight chips or fruit, arrival plate is the same cheese plate from the dessert service, no bottled water, etc.

Believe it's the latter as well but hopefully someone else can confirm. FWIW, if you're flying the same route going back, make sure you get some sort of stamp or admission paper from UA or LATAM so there's no issue with access. I connected via LIM going back to IAH in Polaris a few weeks ago and getting in the lounge was a huge hassle since I didn't receive anything from AV (leaving Cusco) and obviously had no reason to leave security and visit the UA check-in counter at LIM to get the stamp or paper they hand out for the lounge.
The way back is via GRU, so the *A lounge makes access simpler. And I gather the catering on the flight ought to be better too.

Appreciate the help, all!
Old Jan 22, 2022, 11:55 am

UA Polaris. Booking EWR-LIM in J. This is a 752. It is advertised as Polaris. Does this include Polaris lounge access? (I somehow thought Polaris wasn't available for northern South America.) Thank you.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 22, 2022 at 12:04 pm Reason: moved to subject thread
Old Jan 22, 2022, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by lamphs
UA Polaris. Booking EWR-LIM in J. This is a 752. It is advertised as Polaris. Does this include Polaris lounge access? (I somehow thought Polaris wasn't available for northern South America.) Thank you.
At one time LIM flights were not marketed as Polaris, but there are now and hence have PL access
to further support, UA states
United Polaris is available on trans-Pacific or trans-Atlantic flights, and on flights from the U.S. to these South American destinations: Buenos Aires, Lima, Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo and Santiago. All other international routes are United Business® and include use of the United Club: Guam, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, Colombia and Ecuador.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
At one time LIM flights were not marketed as Polaris, but there are now and hence have PL access
to further support, UA states
Thank you. And a follow-up. Apologies for the second post. LIM->IAH->DCA; Polaris access in IAH?
Old Jan 22, 2022, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by lamphs
Thank you. And a follow-up. Apologies for the second post. LIM->IAH->DCA; Polaris access in IAH?
Yes, with onward travel segment
United Polaris lounge access

United Polaris business class
A boarding pass for travel in United Polaris business class for a long-haul international flight

Customers in United Polaris business class may access a United Polaris lounge at departure, connecting and arrival airports footnote3 along their eligible same-day routing.
footnote3
Re-entry to the airport after clearing customs is not permitted without further eligible onward travel. Access upon arrival is available to customers who have already made a domestic connection.
lamphs likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 3:31 am

Programs: AA, UA
Is UA eliminating EWR-LIM flights?

Looking to purchase seats on a November nonstop flight from EWR to LIM, but a travel agent acquaintance says this flight may be eliminated. Tickets are still for sale online. Does anyone here know anything more? I spoke to someone at UA customer service who had no further information. Is it foolish to purchase seats and risk having to change my itinerary as my trip gets closer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.