FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Lima Service Transitioning to Polaris November 1, 2018 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1948577-lima-service-transitioning-polaris-november-1-2018-a.html)

EWR764 Sep 26, 2018 2:37 pm

Lima Service Transitioning to Polaris November 1, 2018

I haven't seen this reported yet, and it just came through in a sales communication. Both EWR/IAH-LIM will become Polaris flights on 11/1, I am guessing in both directions.

Polaris Lounge access on departure/arrival, upgraded pillows/duvets and full Polaris meal service are included. Overdue, IMO. Carving LIM out from the rest of the 'deep' South America service seemed punitive, as it was a GPU route but received a watered-down inflight service.

More here: http://image.salescomm.united.com/li...549aec4bed.pdf

A positive development all around.

pushmyredbutton Sep 26, 2018 2:51 pm

That is fantastic and overdue news. I think that just leaves BOG and UIO in S America that are the odd-ones as a GPU route with no Polaris? (or lie-flats :eek:)

EWR764 Sep 26, 2018 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton (Post 30249416)
That is fantastic and overdue news. I think that just leaves BOG and UIO in S America that are the odd-ones as a GPU route with no Polaris? (or lie-flats :eek:)

I think that's correct. UA's BOG/UIO flights are no longer than transcons and (for the moment) all 737s, so probably not appropriate to be branded Polaris service. By the same token, I don't think they should require W+ and GPU to upgrade. I'd like to see both of these go back to allowing RPUs... they don't have to be CPU routes (like the premium transcon) but the GPU requirement is excessive for the product UA is offering in the market.

SEA COTLB Oct 17, 2018 2:15 pm

Thanks for the great news, EWR764. Has anyone heard any updates about this transition? Is it still occurring? I'm looking to book travel to LIM in late November and not seeing any changes loaded in united.com yet. Thx!

eng3 Oct 17, 2018 2:20 pm

Very nice, I remember I doing EWR-LIM right after they introduce Polaris and it was one of my most disappointing J flights. No ice cream (due to bowls), No Polaris lounge because it didnt exist yet at EWR and it wasnt a Polaris flight.

It does seem strange they don't include longer flights like to GIG, EZE, or SCL

bluepig1 Oct 17, 2018 2:48 pm

Overdue. Like others, I took IAH-LIM, then LIM-EWR a few months ago and didn't even consider until a few days before the flight that 7-8 hour international flights wouldn't give me access to the Polaris Lounges in either IAH or EWR.

StuckinITH Oct 17, 2018 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by SEA COTLB (Post 30325931)
Thanks for the great news, EWR764. Has anyone heard any updates about this transition? Is it still occurring? I'm looking to book travel to LIM in late November and not seeing any changes loaded in united.com yet. Thx!

They must have delayed it as I just tried dates in November, December and January and it does not say the important word: "Polaris".

meagicano Oct 18, 2018 2:07 pm

I have flights booked EWR-LIM in June 2019. Fingers crossed this gets the full Polaris treatment by then - if that happens I'm assuming there would be no issues accessing things like the EWR Polaris lounge, even if I bought under the current status? One of the search tools I used called it Polaris Business, but of course I can't find that now.

I'm an Air Canada flyer... I've never flown on a 757-200, and am looking forward to seeing how they've put lie flat seats in a narrowbody. Our YYZ-LIM direct flights are horrific in comparison.

WineCountryUA Oct 18, 2018 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by eng3 (Post 30325947)

It does seem strange they don't include longer flights like to GIG, EZE, or SCL

They are Polaris marketed, have been from the beginning

hscottm Oct 18, 2018 3:46 pm

I too got burned on this - I was excited as my outbound from EWR to LIM was the day before the Polaris Lounge opened, and then on my return I walked in excitedly and was denied entry. Even the agent was confused at first, and then after typing a few things said "oh, LIM isnt a Polaris route". I looked at my ticket and noticed that it never said Polaris.

Hope that this gets changed in the future, as I have a few trips planned per year.

VWang1111 Oct 18, 2018 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by hscottm (Post 30330264)
I too got burned on this - I was excited as my outbound from EWR to LIM was the day before the Polaris Lounge opened, and then on my return I walked in excitedly and was denied entry. Even the agent was confused at first, and then after typing a few things said "oh, LIM isnt a Polaris route". I looked at my ticket and noticed that it never said Polaris.

Hope that this gets changed in the future, as I have a few trips planned per year.

Same exact thing happened to me earlier this year. Was super excited to visit the new Houston lounge and was relegated to the club. They should have made this change a long time ago considering it was already using lie-flat equipment with a lot of Polaris amenities.

spartac Jan 1, 2019 6:46 pm

Has anyone ever booked business class to LIMA?

Hello

I'm flying from Montreal to Lima and looking for 2 Business class tickets. So far the best route I saw with expedia and such is through Newark, with United . However I have not been able to see flight availability for two tickets all the way.
Has anyone been successful booking EWR-LIM on J ir any other decent business to Lima? Thanks

yyz_consulted Jan 1, 2019 7:52 pm

I've flown YUL -> LIM direct on AC Rouge as I'd rather direct and get Rouge "J" than connect. Service was good enough for Rouge but nothing like F on DL/UA. I know DL has pods to LIM through Atlanta not sure about UA via EWR.

chebert999 Jan 1, 2019 7:57 pm

For the EWR-LIM and IAH-LIM, UA uses B757 and B767 with pods in business class. Have a look on their website.

tcook052 Jan 1, 2019 8:07 pm

As original poster is asking about United J seats ex-EWR this thread has been relocated to the UA forum from the Air Canada forum.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator