Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Op-ups on *A partner flights for UA elites

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Op-ups on *A partner flights for UA elites

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: SkyMiles, MileagePlus
Originally Posted by findark
LH will generally op-up OAL *G before LH*S (FTL - note that LH*G is the equivalent of UA 1K), and op-ups are more common on LH because they have far fewer free (including certificate) upgrades than UA. PE in particular is very commonly overbooked because the cabin is tiny.

That being said, you were still lucky
Thanks all - super helpful answers. Good to know that they're a bit more common on LH, and good to know re: PE overbooking. I'll be flying this route 1-2x/year for the foreseeable future on my own dime, so I'll take whatever small advantage I can get
Old Aug 9, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: SkyMiles, MileagePlus
Originally Posted by tods27
Yep. I would agree on the PE oversell. I don't fly LH that often, but it seems like PE is often booked out full and they are pretty willing to oversell it.

As a side note, I love that they print out the new seat assignment at the gate when flying out of FRA (probably MUC as well). It's great to see the little printer spool up and spit out the receipt.
lol yes, this is a wonderful feeling
Old Aug 9, 2019, 12:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
Yes.
Extremely rarely. LH, like most airlines, would give operational upgrades first to members of its own program. To go all the way down to *G means they must have been seriously overbooked in economy/PE.
Originally Posted by findark
LH will generally op-up OAL *G before LH*S (FTL - note that LH*G is the equivalent of UA 1K), and op-ups are more common on LH because they have far fewer free (including certificate) upgrades than UA. PE in particular is very commonly overbooked because the cabin is tiny.
LH has an algorithm for op-ups that ranks fare class quite high. There's a thread on this in the LH forum. Basically, *G on a high fare will have priority over LH SEN and even HON in some instances.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan

Extremely rarely. LH, like most airlines, would give operational upgrades first to members of its own program. To go all the way down to *G means they must have been seriously overbooked in economy/PE.
Absolutely not. Where did you get that from? LH is well-known to go by fare first then by status. I have seen numerous times a *G being upgraded while SENs did not. LH calculates the customer value where your booking class plays a very major role.
We have gotten upgrades to First on LH before on a refundable J-class ticket with plenty of SENs standing next to us.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I
Originally Posted by mspflyer3
Just traveled to/from BOM via FRA. On my way there (FRA-BOM), I was upgraded from economy (Q) to premium economy at boarding. On the way back (FRA-SFO), I was upgraded from premium economy (E) to business, also at boarding. This was a United-issued ticket, flying Lufthansa routes. I am MileagePlus Gold.

Was I extremely lucky? How often/why does this happen?
wonder if reduced capacity to BOM/DEL at the moment means LH is overbooking more and op-up’ing more than normal on those India routes. UA still is not running either of the EWR-India routes from the Pakistan airspace closure, and am not sure if AC started again either. Presumably, many who might normally take these flights are now transiting at FRA instead.

I have also also been upgraded in LH once - FRA-BLR. Was *G at the time, flying around Xmas. Booked in economy - think W class - and upgraded not to Premium Economy, but to Business. Still my only time on the upper deck of a 747.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
The fare class priority on LH would explain why I have been fairly successful on op-ups. I am often on higher fare classes since I'm not staying weekends and often fly out Sunday and back on Friday. My last op-up I was on a U fare that I bid on a PE upgrade and got it, then when I boarded, they op-upped me to C. Combined with the extra miles for the PE fare, it was a pretty good use of $175.
RobOnLI and pmarrsouth like this.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 7:07 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Got one yesterday on AC CLT-YYZ. My fiance who has no status was upgraded along with me. Both of us tried to board with Zone 2 and my BP wouldn't scan. Agents gave us new BPs. Went from 26D and F to 1D and F which got our trip off to a nice start.
DELee likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by CMK10
Got one yesterday on AC CLT-YYZ. My fiance who has no status was upgraded along with me. Both of us tried to board with Zone 2 and my BP wouldn't scan. Agents gave us new BPs. Went from 26D and F to 1D and F which got our trip off to a nice start.
Was Y full? Was it weight and balance?

I've gotten AC opups while Y was empty too, with their own elites walking to their back at the same time....
As miserable as AC is, my frequent opup success I thank them for.
cfischer likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 9:56 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Was Y full? Was it weight and balance?

I've gotten AC opups while Y was empty too, with their own elites walking to their back at the same time....
As miserable as AC is, my frequent opup success I thank them for.
The gate agent claimed it was weight and balance but from what I could tell the flight was 100% full so I think it was likely a combination of both.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.