Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Op-ups on *A partner flights for UA elites

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2019, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Continental OnePass

So I am United Platinum (and thus *Gold). Today I was flying MAD-FRA on LH. When I scanned my boarding pass at the gate it beeped loudly and flashed red. The agent looked at my name and a handwritten piece of paper on the stand and said I'd been upgraded and told me my new seat assignment. I didn't receive a new boarding pass, I just sat in the seat the agent told me to.
onthesam and jsloan like this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
You got an operational upgrade (op-up).

You should have posted about it here:

Post your recent opup as FTL/SEN/HON [08/2011 -]
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by swiftaw
So I am United Platinum (and thus *Gold). Today I was flying MAD-FRA on LH. When I scanned my boarding pass at the gate it beeped loudly and flashed red. The agent looked at my name and a handwritten piece of paper on the stand and said I'd been upgraded and told me my new seat assignment. I didn't receive a new boarding pass, I just sat in the seat the agent told me to.
That happened to me last year, but they gave me a new BP. I think I would have been uncomfortable just sitting where she told me without anything in writing.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
My recent op-ups on LH and LX involved a slip of paper coming out of a printer. It was not a new BP, but rather more like a receipt from a cash register that stated my new seat. It's a lot harder to get *G on LH Group carriers and they treat OAL *G pretty well.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by sannmann
You should have posted about it here:

Post your recent opup as FTL/SEN/HON [08/2011 -]
Since the OP has no status on LH, that thread would not apply.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by findark
My recent op-ups on LH and LX involved a slip of paper coming out of a printer. It was not a new BP, but rather more like a receipt from a cash register that stated my new seat. It's a lot harder to get *G on LH Group carriers and they treat OAL *G pretty well.
Now that you reminded me, that's what I got as well. At least something in writing
Old Jan 1, 2019, 3:21 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
As a 1k *G with UA, I have been upgraded 3 or 4 times on LH flights within Europe. On one flight I was the only one sitting in FC. Great treatment, and very nice food.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 4:10 pm

Programs: CO Gold
I was upgraded OTP-MUC-EWR , I thought I won the lottery :P
Brandinho1 and chavala like this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 4:45 pm

Does anyone ever ask for the UG? or do you just wait and hope? I don’t know if I’d have the nerve in Germany. Seems like a very “American” thing to do.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 4:59 pm

Programs: Latam Pass Black; UA 1K, 1MM; Marriott LT
Originally Posted by sfo
As a 1k *G with UA, I have been upgraded 3 or 4 times on LH flights within Europe. On one flight I was the only one sitting in FC. Great treatment, and very nice food.
Would be nice... I have traveled a number of times as a *G from MUC to HAJ or TXl and F has had plenty of space but no upgrade... not expected, but would be pleasant if only once.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by LimeyFlyer
Would be nice... I have traveled a number of times as a *G from MUC to HAJ or TXl and F has had plenty of space but no upgrade... not expected, but would be pleasant if only once.
That's why it didn't happen — OpUps don't happen when there's plenty of space, but when the flight is full (and with mobile cabin dividers, Y and C inventories are closely linked).
Old Jan 1, 2019, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've never had an OpUp on LH but I know a "once a year" flyer that got one on a TATL LH flight to MUC a few years ago.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 7:08 pm

Since becoming *G, I’ve been op-upped maybe two or three times on AC YUL-ORD. Prior to being *G, I’d see op-ups on that flight, but never got one, so I’m assuming that *G status played a role.

FWIW, the op-up on AC only happens when they have a W&B issue requiring pax to move forward, or when they’re oversold in the back.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
My fav op-up story as a UA 1K on LH was from about 10 years ago. My husband and I were flying TXL-MXP (prob via FRA. I forget).

As is often the case, he took more time than I would have liked to get out of the hotel, and we left within 50 minutes of departure time. I was NOT happy with him.

We got to the check in counter 15 minutes before departure. They had given our seats away (two aisles across from each other). They then printed me a C boarding card. Husband got Econ, toward the back (but not a middle).

Historically, I always would give him the upgrade. This time I didn’t.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by zrs70
My fav op-up story as a UA 1K on LH was from about 10 years ago. My husband and I were flying TXL-MXP (prob via FRA. I forget).

As is often the case, he took more time than I would have liked to get out of the hotel, and we left within 50 minutes of departure time. I was NOT happy with him.

We got to the check in counter 15 minutes before departure. They had given our seats away (two aisles across from each other). They then printed me a C boarding card. Husband got Econ, toward the back (but not a middle).

Historically, I always would give him the upgrade. This time I didn’t.
Was the flight delayed or something? What was the check-in cutoff? I’m trying to picture getting from the check-in counter, through security, and to the gate before they close the door on the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.