FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Op-ups on *A partner flights for UA elites (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1948527-op-ups-partner-flights-ua-elites.html)

swiftaw Jan 1, 19 2:14 pm

Op-ups on *A partner flights for UA elites
 
So I am United Platinum (and thus *Gold). Today I was flying MAD-FRA on LH. When I scanned my boarding pass at the gate it beeped loudly and flashed red. The agent looked at my name and a handwritten piece of paper on the stand and said I'd been upgraded and told me my new seat assignment. I didn't receive a new boarding pass, I just sat in the seat the agent told me to.

sannmann Jan 1, 19 2:19 pm

You got an operational upgrade (op-up).

You should have posted about it here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luft...08-2011-a.html

chavala Jan 1, 19 2:48 pm


Originally Posted by swiftaw (Post 30596179)
So I am United Platinum (and thus *Gold). Today I was flying MAD-FRA on LH. When I scanned my boarding pass at the gate it beeped loudly and flashed red. The agent looked at my name and a handwritten piece of paper on the stand and said I'd been upgraded and told me my new seat assignment. I didn't receive a new boarding pass, I just sat in the seat the agent told me to.

That happened to me last year, but they gave me a new BP. I think I would have been uncomfortable just sitting where she told me without anything in writing.

findark Jan 1, 19 3:50 pm

My recent op-ups on LH and LX involved a slip of paper coming out of a printer. It was not a new BP, but rather more like a receipt from a cash register that stated my new seat. It's a lot harder to get *G on LH Group carriers and they treat OAL *G pretty well.

mahasamatman Jan 1, 19 3:58 pm


Originally Posted by sannmann (Post 30596193)
You should have posted about it here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luft...08-2011-a.html

Since the OP has no status on LH, that thread would not apply.

chavala Jan 1, 19 4:19 pm


Originally Posted by findark (Post 30596474)
My recent op-ups on LH and LX involved a slip of paper coming out of a printer. It was not a new BP, but rather more like a receipt from a cash register that stated my new seat. It's a lot harder to get *G on LH Group carriers and they treat OAL *G pretty well.

Now that you reminded me, that's what I got as well. At least something in writing

sfo Jan 1, 19 4:21 pm

As a 1k *G with UA, I have been upgraded 3 or 4 times on LH flights within Europe. On one flight I was the only one sitting in FC. Great treatment, and very nice food.

wolfie_cr Jan 1, 19 5:10 pm

I was upgraded OTP-MUC-EWR , I thought I won the lottery :P

chavala Jan 1, 19 5:45 pm

Does anyone ever ask for the UG? or do you just wait and hope? I don’t know if I’d have the nerve in Germany. Seems like a very “American” thing to do.

LimeyFlyer Jan 1, 19 5:59 pm


Originally Posted by sfo (Post 30596559)
As a 1k *G with UA, I have been upgraded 3 or 4 times on LH flights within Europe. On one flight I was the only one sitting in FC. Great treatment, and very nice food.

Would be nice... I have traveled a number of times as a *G from MUC to HAJ or TXl and F has had plenty of space but no upgrade... not expected, but would be pleasant if only once.

Passmethesickbag Jan 1, 19 6:22 pm


Originally Posted by LimeyFlyer (Post 30596844)
Would be nice... I have traveled a number of times as a *G from MUC to HAJ or TXl and F has had plenty of space but no upgrade... not expected, but would be pleasant if only once.

That's why it didn't happen ó OpUps don't happen when there's plenty of space, but when the flight is full (and with mobile cabin dividers, Y and C inventories are closely linked).

TomMM Jan 1, 19 6:43 pm

I've never had an OpUp on LH but I know a "once a year" flyer that got one on a TATL LH flight to MUC a few years ago.

rmadisonwi Jan 1, 19 8:08 pm

Since becoming *G, Iíve been op-upped maybe two or three times on AC YUL-ORD. Prior to being *G, Iíd see op-ups on that flight, but never got one, so Iím assuming that *G status played a role.

FWIW, the op-up on AC only happens when they have a W&B issue requiring pax to move forward, or when theyíre oversold in the back.

zrs70 Jan 1, 19 8:29 pm

My fav op-up story as a UA 1K on LH was from about 10 years ago. My husband and I were flying TXL-MXP (prob via FRA. I forget).

As is often the case, he took more time than I would have liked to get out of the hotel, and we left within 50 minutes of departure time. I was NOT happy with him.

We got to the check in counter 15 minutes before departure. They had given our seats away (two aisles across from each other). They then printed me a C boarding card. Husband got Econ, toward the back (but not a middle).

Historically, I always would give him the upgrade. This time I didn’t.

rmadisonwi Jan 1, 19 8:36 pm


Originally Posted by zrs70 (Post 30597281)
My fav op-up story as a UA 1K on LH was from about 10 years ago. My husband and I were flying TXL-MXP (prob via FRA. I forget).

As is often the case, he took more time than I would have liked to get out of the hotel, and we left within 50 minutes of departure time. I was NOT happy with him.

We got to the check in counter 15 minutes before departure. They had given our seats away (two aisles across from each other). They then printed me a C boarding card. Husband got Econ, toward the back (but not a middle).

Historically, I always would give him the upgrade. This time I didnít.

Was the flight delayed or something? What was the check-in cutoff? Iím trying to picture getting from the check-in counter, through security, and to the gate before they close the door on the flight.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 7:55 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.