Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2018, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
United Global Services ("GS") is the highest tier of MileagePlus elite status. It is by invitation only, reviewed annually -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA, and also to those individuals that purchase an annual PassPlus enrollment of $50k or greater. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.
Links to past/current threads on this topic and related GS threads:
2020 Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2001958-consolidated-global-services-thread-benefits-questions-experiences-2020-a.html
Last years' thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2018]
Thread on 2019 Global Services Notifications
Thread on 2019 Qualifying Discussion

Known facts concerning qualification and eligibility from United:
Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.
We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.
Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

Published Benefits
Full detail of published benefits can be found at https://mystatus.united.com/gs [MP credentials login required, existing GS only]
Shortlist (incremental/different to 1K):
  • Dedicated phone number, ​usually answered on the first ring, and generally by specially-trained GS agents. Some exceptions occur, especially during busy periods (such as when weather waivers are in effect)
  • Dedicated email address for MileagePlus and other inquiries, usually answered personally within hours
  • Dedicated check-in at main airport stations, including private Global Reception centers at major hubs, providing priority TSA security access. May bring guests/companions into Global Reception areas or dedicated GS checkin lanes who are traveling on same itinerary as GS member.
  • Instrument-supported upgrades (GPU/RPU) clear into PN class rather than PZ class for other elite tiers, which usually have much better availability. Instruments drawn from the GS member account and applied to other reservations will also clear into PN class.
  • Complimentary Premier Upgrades (CPUs) cleared beginning 120 hours prior to flight departure (versus 96 hours for 1K) for GS member and up to one other traveling on same PNR
  • Highest-priority when waitlisted for Upgrades, Award Travel, and Sold-out Flight Availability. GS members clear before any other status level or full-fare customers.
  • Priority Boarding, among the first to board the aircraft (currently after unaccompanied minors, people with disabilities and/or need more time boarding, Active-Duty Military, and now prior to families with children under age of 2)
  • Priority handling in event of IRROPS, including next flight guarantee in case of re-accommodation, overseen by dedicated team of location-based GS Customer Service Agents (identified via gold scarves/ties)
  • Mercedes-Benz Tarmac Transfer for tight connections between flights at major hubs (cannot be requested in advance)
  • Access to United Arrivals Lounge at SFO when arriving from international flight, regardless of cabin class (no guests permitted) Closed
  • Access to Arrivals Lounge at LHR T2 when arriving from inbound UA-operated intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present Boarding Pass or physical GS card)
  • Access to Lufthansa / Swiss Welcome (arrival) Lounges in FRA and ZRH for same-day inbound UA intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present physical GS card)
Additional Known Award and Upgrade Benefits (many unpublished)

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:

• GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if PZ inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business / First with a GPU if PN inventory is available, provided both instrument and miles drawn from GS member account. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can confirm any waitlisted instrument-supported upgrade within T-72 hours to flight departure provided at least 2 (two) J class premium seats remain for sale after the upgrade is processed and they are at the top of the waitlist.
  • GS are entitled to one Saver Award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium cabin fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available provided that at least 2 seats remain for sale afterwards. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can upgrade a companion with an instrument (GPU/RPU) from Economy to Business / First when flying on a paid premium cabin fare, even if PZ or PN is not available, as long as J > 2 after upgrade processed. Companion needs to be ticketed in W class or higher on international cash fare itineraries, or ticketed in X/XN for upgrades from award tickets.
  • (Note: Only ONE of the two above options can be exercised per premium fare purchased. GS traveler must remain in same itinerary as companion)
  • GS can buy up from Basic Economy fares, which is usually forbidden
  • GS can access VIP Lounges (former Global First Lounges) in NRT, LHR, and HKG when booked in Polaris Business on an international itinerary. One guest permitted (two guests if a United Club member). Not accessed if booked in United Economy.
Reported caveats & YMMV situations on unpublished benefits

• Post 12/12/2018, agents have been instructed to grant only one "exception" when opening award space for a companion. Thus, you can open T->XN for a companion, or you can force a companion upgrade into PN, but you can't convert T->XN and then force clear an upgrade into PN. Some have reported success by requesting this in two separate calls.
  • Some agents will allow GS to open economy award space for a companion to allow for an upgrade with an instrument, even if XN or T are unavailable
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2019]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2019, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
Different PNRs, same flights. I have already bought a business class ticket. My friend is a 1K who would buy a W fare and use GPU from her account.
I don’t think this will work unless you get a generous agent/exception. Though please respond back with what they say. I believe the upgrade needs to come from your account (though they don’t have to be on the same PNR). It would probably work if they were GS and upgrading, too.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 8:50 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
Different PNRs, same flights. I have already bought a business class ticket. My friend is a 1K who would buy a W fare and use GPU from her account.
I have had agents apply my GS GPU to a non-status mileage ticket on the same flight but on a separate PNR. I would suggest at least one HUCA if you get an agent that says they can't do it. As long as I am on the flight in the forward cabin I have never been told no (though, admittedly, I probably only have two data points from the past year).
Old Jul 26, 2019, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LIH
I have had agents apply my GS GPU to a non-status mileage ticket on the same flight but on a separate PNR. I would suggest at least one HUCA if you get an agent that says they can't do it. As long as I am on the flight in the forward cabin I have never been told no (though, admittedly, I probably only have two data points from the past year).
The GS companion benefit always results in a separate PNR, as you can't mix fare classes and ticket types on a single PNR. I think the question here is whether a 1K can apply her/his own instrument or miles to a separate PNR, and a GS on a revenue ticket on the same flight can still call to force it through. As explained to me by agents and centrally in Chicago, for this benefit both the miles and/or instrument need to come from the GS member on the revenue ticket - some of this is policy, and I believe some of it is system driven, as the upgrade waitlisting bucket and priority follows the member - so a 1K GPU lists in PZ class, and a GS in PN, and the system is wired to do this. To that end, it shouldn't be possible - but there might be an agent who just goes ahead and does it.

One thing that has happened is a step up in the cross-referencing and documentation around this benefit - now the agent is forced via a pop-up screen to document what they have done, cross-reference the PNRs, and detail the GS member account number/details - and all of this goes into the PNR history. They've also stepped up enforcement/audit - if a change is made to the reservation and you are no longer on the same flights, they seem to be following up more frequently - I've been contacted about changes twice lately.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Originally Posted by greenpau
They've also stepped up enforcement/audit - if a change is made to the reservation and you are no longer on the same flights, they seem to be following up more frequently - I've been contacted about changes twice lately.
Could you please give us more details about this ?

Old Jul 26, 2019, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
UA's response to my letter about removing GS at SFO international Terminal

Originally Posted by PanAmWT
If this is what they think then they need to have their brains examined. I just came from TPE, the check in counter's first line is GS, the second is 1K/Polaris, after that are the other elite lines with economy at the other end. The CSR at the GS line did not wear a golden scarf. After she checked the GS ahead of me,she left and was replaced with one from the Economy check in area.

I am going to write and question the "resource limitation". My wife often walks with a cane. T3 GS lobby for international travel is not a viable option unless she orders a wheelchair.
I sent an email to Customer Care late last night, received a call around 3 pm today. So UA obviously take this seriously.

Below is the follow up email I just sent: Please go to the last three paragraphs (bold added) to read the response from UA.

Dear Ms. XXXXX,

I appreciate very much that your associate called me today in response to my email last night,

In our phone conversation, I mentioned that driving to SFO domestic terminal 3 (UA terminal) takes more time than driving to International terminal. The domestic terminals 1,2, and 3 often have far more congested traffic than the international terminal. In busy times it can easily take my ride 10 more minutes to struggle pass terminals 1 and 2 to reach terminal 3, and it is harder to find a spot for my ride to drop me off on the curve.

This point is readily apparent in that the SFO airport authority have stopped all standard rideshare pick up at domestic terminal curve side two months ago. But on busy weekends the new pickup site at the top of the domestic garage still generates unbearable traffic at all three domestic terminals, the airport now directs all domestic uberX pickup during busy times to the international terminal curb side. This is for one reason only: the surface traffic there is much lighter. I am sure UA management at SFO is well aware of this.

So, during busy times if we don’t want to stand in long lines at the international terminal to check in our bags, we can choose to sit in long lines of congested car traffic to reach the domestic terminal 3.

Your offer of assistance to move less mobile GS passengers after check in at terminal 3 to the international terminal is appreciated, but I think most rather not to waste the additional time.

The explanation of “concentrating resources to the global lobby” is very difficult to understand. It seems that the only resource needed to keep a GS check in spot at international terminal is the cost of a sign indicating GS.

The explanation of keeping all locations with a consistent experience is also hard to comprehend. This seems to say that you need to take away the higher convenience of easy and quicker access of the international terminal at SFO, so that the experience can be degraded to that of other less convenient locations?

Please reconsider.

Thank you very much again,
lagunas2k, canadiancow and Surf1 like this.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by UK Stages
data point: my family often travels using my GS miles and when i have requested a GS instrument-supported upgrade for them, they are often #1 or #2 on a wait list on the day of travel, right up to departure. sometimes #3 . none of them have status, some don't even have MP numbers. these are mostly mainline flights, e.g. BOS ----> SFO, EWR ---> PHX, EWR ---> LHR, EWR ---> HKG, although a few have been on regional jets.

and just to clarify, they are traveling alone, without me (the GS miles and instrument sponsor).
If a GS sponsors a Gold with MUA out of the GS account, does that put the priority at the GS level? RPU/GPU? GS is NOT traveling.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 4:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by UAFLYER22
If a GS sponsors a Gold with MUA out of the GS account, does that put the priority at the GS level? RPU/GPU? GS is NOT traveling.
GS instrument and miles clear into PN instead of PZ, so it does improve chances. No need to be traveling together.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by benewr
Could you please give us more details about this ?
First instance was changing the return date on a flight - I changed my ticket online, called to sync up the companion, and the wait was long during a weather incident so I hung up to call back later. A few days went by, and I received a call - “Hi greenpau, it’s XXX from United Airlines. We noticed you changed your ticket for XXX - do you need your companion award ticket changed to match your reservation, too?” Has never happened before.

Second instance was having to call in to make a change that has failed on the website, for me to leave a day later due to work extending but my partner had to return to the US as planned. Agent put me on hold then came back with a supervisor on the line saying that as I wasn’t traveling on the original flight she had to downgrade my partner and remove the GPU applied. After some back and forth, where I said it was effectively the same number of J seats I was using overall, and that I needed understanding and clemency with me on a $14k fare plus change fees. I also pointed out that i could just re-list the GPU and then have it processed within the window that we were now within. Agent said “well, as you are both GS, I suppose that’s ok this time”. End result she just left it in place and thanked me for my business, but it was also a new situation.
benewr likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 2:17 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Nice gesture at EWR today. GS rep paged me at gate. Went to podium and she handed me a birthday card from the EWR GS Team. Very nice thing to do. Unexpected. Made my day
Air Houston likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by manstein58
Nice gesture at EWR today. GS rep paged me at gate. Went to podium and she handed me a birthday card from the EWR GS Team. Very nice thing to do. Unexpected. Made my day
Cool indeed; more so as it happened at EWR - EWR finally showing some GS love ......
Old Jul 29, 2019, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
GS instrument and miles clear into PN instead of PZ, so it does improve chances. No need to be traveling together.
Can the upgrade be pushed through at 72 hours if J > 2? If so, can I call UA to do that or does GS need to call GS desk?

Thank you for the help.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 5:43 am

Programs: Latam Pass Black; UA 1K, 1MM; Marriott LT
Just got off the phone with GS: wanted to "buy up" on a LH transatlantic segment to a fare class where a GPU could be applied.

Was told by the agent there would still be a change fee, since the fare basis was being changed.

Tried to redeposit some GPUs and RPUs that didn't clear a couple of weeks ago and despite asking via email for them to be redeposited, they weren't redeposited.

Was told by same agent that she couldn't see them ("too far back") and I should call back the mileageplus center in 30 minutes when it opened.

Still sore about the same flight as the upgrade certificates not clearing. Stuck on a delayed flight in CLE, only carry on bags, two (also delayed) flights either side of my gate left for EWR at 9.30pm with a total of 24 open seats between them, and I couldn't get on one of those flights, so sat for another hour and a half waiting for the new pilot to drive from Pittsburgh.

GS = Grotty Service

Following on from this, 32 minutes on the phone to Mileageplus, I get the RPUs and GPUs back...having had to go to a supervisor since the agent who I was dealing with initially was convinced you couldn't upgrade a mileage award.
canadiancow and Rocketman1 like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 30, 2019 at 9:48 am Reason: merged update / consecutive posts by same member
Old Aug 2, 2019, 12:58 pm

SFO GS Int’l

Originally Posted by PanAmWT
I sent an email to Customer Care late last night, received a call around 3 pm today. So UA obviously take this seriously.

Below is the follow up email I just sent: Please go to the last three paragraphs (bold added) to read the response from UA.

Dear Ms. XXXXX,

I appreciate very much that your associate called me today in response to my email last night,

In our phone conversation, I mentioned that driving to SFO domestic terminal 3 (UA terminal) takes more time than driving to International terminal. The domestic terminals 1,2, and 3 often have far more congested traffic than the international terminal. In busy times it can easily take my ride 10 more minutes to struggle pass terminals 1 and 2 to reach terminal 3, and it is harder to find a spot for my ride to drop me off on the curve.

This point is readily apparent in that the SFO airport authority have stopped all standard rideshare pick up at domestic terminal curve side two months ago. But on busy weekends the new pickup site at the top of the domestic garage still generates unbearable traffic at all three domestic terminals, the airport now directs all domestic uberX pickup during busy times to the international terminal curb side. This is for one reason only: the surface traffic there is much lighter. I am sure UA management at SFO is well aware of this.

So, during busy times if we don’t want to stand in long lines at the international terminal to check in our bags, we can choose to sit in long lines of congested car traffic to reach the domestic terminal 3.

Your offer of assistance to move less mobile GS passengers after check in at terminal 3 to the international terminal is appreciated, but I think most rather not to waste the additional time.

The explanation of “concentrating resources to the global lobby” is very difficult to understand. It seems that the only resource needed to keep a GS check in spot at international terminal is the cost of a sign indicating GS.

The explanation of keeping all locations with a consistent experience is also hard to comprehend. This seems to say that you need to take away the higher convenience of easy and quicker access of the international terminal at SFO, so that the experience can be degraded to that of other less convenient locations?

Please reconsider.

Thank you very much again,
Just tried the personal approach. Went to the Polaris Lounge and sat down with the GS rep. I asked her to forward my request to SF UA top brass to bring back the check in line. I cruised the int’l ticketing area earlier and pointed out to her all the other airlines who give their top clients special lines. Thought it would be a quick input session.

Instead of a “I’m sorry you feel that way and I will forward your comments” we debated 5 minutes why, as I was told, having no GS in international but having the lobby in T3 is better for me. I hate it when I tell people that something does not work for me and they proceed to tell me why it should work for me. As if I have not taken the time to weigh things out.

I was told I have an entire area for us. I pointed out it was in T3. She said yes, but I even had a special drop off door at door #6. I told her others are allowed to use this drop off point and then asked if she got dropped off there. She had not.

She then went to the “we only have limited resources” at which point I tell her what all of us have said — it need not be a yellow scarf at check in.

Then, I was told the pre-check line is always shorter cuz we have a special door for that as well. I explained that sometimes that is true and sometimes not. Today, in int’l I waited 15 min to check in and 2 min (timed it) to get to the TSA agent. I know it is not always that way but I have had long waits in pre-check in both domestic and international. It’s a wash.

She said we could get help getting from the GS lobby to international. Hmm, limited resources should preclude that, right?

The final pitch was to tell me that if we had problems, there was a single point I could go to regardless of where I was and isn’t that great?! So if I had cleared security, I would rather go back out, walk to T3 and then talk with someone? Why would I not just call GS or see her in the lounge?

I would have understood had she explained the reasons behind the switch and then understood my frustrations and offered to forward my input. Not once did something akin to customer service take place. I felt like I was in a political debate setting.

Bottom line: they are tone deaf in SF so I hope someone in Chicago (or wherever the lords sit) takes a fresh look. Perhaps next time I will put together a photo montage of the other airlines check in counters, email it to them and ask where they would rather go.

Old Aug 2, 2019, 1:29 pm

I'm all for a good debate if its based on logic. but limited resources doesn't make sense. they have the same resources, it's just a different allocation. the person at the end of the counter can call 1k folks if no line at GS. so it's no incremental resources. am i missing somethin?
Old Aug 2, 2019, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
I guess I am in the minority when I say I don't mind checking in at the T3 lobby. I stated up thread my wife and I have been doing it now regularly. I have found TSA super easy there. My wife like the Centurion Lounge so if I am traveling with her we stop there. Personally I like the PL which is really just a short walk down the hall from the CL to get to but to each his own I guess. I suspect if you were disabled or hand difficulty with walking for what ever reason T3 is not ideal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.