Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2018, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ocn Vw 1K
United Global Services ("GS") is the highest tier of MileagePlus elite status. It is by invitation only, reviewed annually -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA, and also to those individuals that purchase an annual PassPlus enrollment of $50k or greater. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.
Links to past/current threads on this topic and related GS threads:
2020 Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2001958-consolidated-global-services-thread-benefits-questions-experiences-2020-a.html
Last years' thread, Consolidated Global Services Thread - Qualifications, Benefits and Q & A [2018]
Thread on 2019 Global Services Notifications
Thread on 2019 Qualifying Discussion

Known facts concerning qualification and eligibility from United:
Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.
We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.
Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

Published Benefits
Full detail of published benefits can be found at https://mystatus.united.com/gs [MP credentials login required, existing GS only]
Shortlist (incremental/different to 1K):
  • Dedicated phone number, ​usually answered on the first ring, and generally by specially-trained GS agents. Some exceptions occur, especially during busy periods (such as when weather waivers are in effect)
  • Dedicated email address for MileagePlus and other inquiries, usually answered personally within hours
  • Dedicated check-in at main airport stations, including private Global Reception centers at major hubs, providing priority TSA security access. May bring guests/companions into Global Reception areas or dedicated GS checkin lanes who are traveling on same itinerary as GS member.
  • Instrument-supported upgrades (GPU/RPU) clear into PN class rather than PZ class for other elite tiers, which usually have much better availability. Instruments drawn from the GS member account and applied to other reservations will also clear into PN class.
  • Complimentary Premier Upgrades (CPUs) cleared beginning 120 hours prior to flight departure (versus 96 hours for 1K) for GS member and up to one other traveling on same PNR
  • Highest-priority when waitlisted for Upgrades, Award Travel, and Sold-out Flight Availability. GS members clear before any other status level or full-fare customers.
  • Priority Boarding, among the first to board the aircraft (currently after unaccompanied minors, people with disabilities and/or need more time boarding, Active-Duty Military, and now prior to families with children under age of 2)
  • Priority handling in event of IRROPS, including next flight guarantee in case of re-accommodation, overseen by dedicated team of location-based GS Customer Service Agents (identified via gold scarves/ties)
  • Mercedes-Benz Tarmac Transfer for tight connections between flights at major hubs (cannot be requested in advance)
  • Access to United Arrivals Lounge at SFO when arriving from international flight, regardless of cabin class (no guests permitted) Closed
  • Access to Arrivals Lounge at LHR T2 when arriving from inbound UA-operated intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present Boarding Pass or physical GS card)
  • Access to Lufthansa / Swiss Welcome (arrival) Lounges in FRA and ZRH for same-day inbound UA intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present physical GS card)
Additional Known Award and Upgrade Benefits (many unpublished)

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:

• GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if PZ inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business / First with a GPU if PN inventory is available, provided both instrument and miles drawn from GS member account. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can confirm any waitlisted instrument-supported upgrade within T-72 hours to flight departure provided at least 2 (two) J class premium seats remain for sale after the upgrade is processed and they are at the top of the waitlist.
  • GS are entitled to one Saver Award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium cabin fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available provided that at least 2 seats remain for sale afterwards. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can upgrade a companion with an instrument (GPU/RPU) from Economy to Business / First when flying on a paid premium cabin fare, even if PZ or PN is not available, as long as J > 2 after upgrade processed. Companion needs to be ticketed in W class or higher on international cash fare itineraries, or ticketed in X/XN for upgrades from award tickets.
  • (Note: Only ONE of the two above options can be exercised per premium fare purchased. GS traveler must remain in same itinerary as companion)
  • GS can buy up from Basic Economy fares, which is usually forbidden
  • GS can access VIP Lounges (former Global First Lounges) in NRT, LHR, and HKG when booked in Polaris Business on an international itinerary. One guest permitted (two guests if a United Club member). Not accessed if booked in United Economy.
Reported caveats & YMMV situations on unpublished benefits

• Post 12/12/2018, agents have been instructed to grant only one "exception" when opening award space for a companion. Thus, you can open T->XN for a companion, or you can force a companion upgrade into PN, but you can't convert T->XN and then force clear an upgrade into PN. Some have reported success by requesting this in two separate calls.
  • Some agents will allow GS to open economy award space for a companion to allow for an upgrade with an instrument, even if XN or T are unavailable
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2019]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ainternational
I saw and was in the GS line 3 days ago. Did this change July 1 or were you on the wrong side of the ticket counters?
Can someone independent please confirm?
One hopes Le’s this means they are building a larger GS check in...
The line was back when I took friends to the Int'l airport yesterday - that said, I have noticed that if there are staffing issues or light loads, this dedicated line is sometimes removed.

To that end, I always check in at the GS Lobby at T3 and walk to the International terminal. It is a much lower stress experience, especially as you get to the front of the security line. I always find the TSA Pre line much slower on average at International, as well.
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by greenpau
The line was back when I took friends to the Int'l airport yesterday - that said, I have noticed that if there are staffing issues or light loads, this dedicated line is sometimes removed.

To that end, I always check in at the GS Lobby at T3 and walk to the International terminal. It is a much lower stress experience, especially as you get to the front of the security line. I always find the TSA Pre line much slower on average at International, as well.
For me, checking in at International GS counter is far better than at T3 GS lobby. The reason is my Clear membership. Clear at international takes me directly to a special Precheck line on the rightmost side, without having to wait for the TSA check. My cut-in point is the front of the baggage queue. At T3 GS lobby my cut-in point is the TSA check point. I cannot bypass the carry-on and X ray queue. And then I have to take the long walk to terminal G. Clear at T3 is no help because it is located away from the pre-check line.
zambonisk likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 10:23 pm

Programs: MileagePlus GS Marriott Gold Hilton Gold
The same position - started to experiment with AA and Delta, really liked Delta to Europe, while a connection the overall experience was significantly better. We'll see how remaining UA flights go this year...
Old Jul 1, 2019, 11:53 pm

Programs: United 1MM GS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Direct flights > than almost any airline consideration.

I tried to make DL work last year to Europe and had the worst experience with a couple misconnects. Never again.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM / Hilton Diamond / Bonvoy Gold / Hertz PC
Had a very good IRROPs experience yesterday. I was on the 7:00am IAD to SFO, had a three hour meeting in downtown SF, then had to jump on the 4:30pm return to IAD. At 3am I got a text from United saying that the 7:00am flight had been delayed until 8pm. Yes PM. The incoming plane the previous day had been held up by storms in ORD before flying to SEA, and then SEA to IAD. Plane wasn’t even to SEA yet. Generally there’s simply an aircraft swap in that situation (was a 739), but it just goes to show how strapped united’s fleet is at the moment. I called GS, had to wait 5 or so on the phone, but got a real GS agent who got me booked and checked in on the 7am Alaska in F - which on the a320 is a HUGE upgrade over a UA 739.

Sometimes its it’s nice when GS does what it’s designed to do. I can’t help but think how little slack in UA’s fleet there must be though.

cesco.g, wxguy, Ari and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Pretty bad luck with CPUs as a GS this year. Was number one on upgrade list on yesterdays SFO to CLE flight. Ticket was booked months ago. Ultimately did not clear. Also had my original seat “Mysteriously“ changed just prior to check-in. Was told by GS desk that this was done by a computer and MAY have been related to an equipment change although when I pointed out it was the same equipment I was told the aircraft type doesn’t matter. I have an instrument applied for upgrade on the return flight which also has still not cleared. Although, I would say my experience with instruments clearing as a GS has been much better than My days as a 1K.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by EZE living
Apologies if this is well known, but what is the latest thought on a ticket with Lufthansa stock on UA metal contributing towards global services qualification? I know that the other way (United stock on LH metal) does not help.

Thanks!
Yes, it counts as long as it's UA metal. I asked the same question last year (check the 2018 GS thread). Someone who buys a lot of LH RTW fares with UA segments is GS.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 6:58 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
Originally Posted by nomad420
Pretty bad luck with CPUs as a GS this year. Was number one on upgrade list on yesterdays SFO to CLE flight. The ticket was booked months ago. Ultimately did not clear. Also had my original seat “Mysteriously“ changed just prior to check-in. Was told by GS desk that this was done by a computer and MAY have been related to an equipment change although when I pointed out it was the same equipment I was told the aircraft type doesn’t matter. I have an instrument applied for an upgrade on the return flight which also has still not cleared. Although, I would say my experience with instruments clearing as a GS has been much better than My days as a 1K.
I fell from GS to 1K and have 14 or so GPUs and the only time one or an RPU has cleared was on a flight to Chicago (only the outbound cleared). I had written it up to no longer having GS but it seems that you aren't doing much better. Somehow that is reassuring.

What does one do with all the GPUs and RPUs? I've been doing mostly Asia trips this year and already booked in business on these two-class aircraft. Is there somewhere else to burn them? Can't use them for mileage tickets with 1K, which I just learned and is a downer.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 11:48 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Having a little better luck with instruments as a GS compared with 1K , However, lately that hasn’t been working out though. Have an RPU applied to a CLE to SFO trip this evening and haven’t cleared yet. I applied it over a month ago when I bought the ticket. Standing at number one on the upgrade list but F is booked for. Didn’t get the upgrade into CLE either. I suspect it may be due to a lot of travel related to the All-Star game being played here on Tuesday but that’s only an assumption. Good luck to you in the future.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
CLE-SFO return is usually an easy GS RPU upgrade, unless you book late and the cabin is already sold out. I've applied a number of RPUs for my mother in law on that route and they almost always clear.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
CLE-SFO return is usually an easy GS RPU upgrade, unless you book late and the cabin is already sold out. I've applied a number of RPUs for my mother in law on that route and they almost always clear.
Skunked now twice with instrument upgrades on round trip SFO-CLE runs. Last PM flight F was 18/20 at T72'ish and went to full 20/20 at T24. Was #1 on list but never cleared as at about T4 it was booked and checked in full. On this last run I think it had to do with the All Star Game crowd heading into (and out of) CLE. I don't have a lot of luck on this route but YMMV. To be fair I have done much better this year as GS with instruments clearing but CPU's is another story.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Not sure if this belongs here, but it exclusively involves the GS line.

We were on a LAX-SFO flight in PN. We wanted to stand by for an earlier flight after noticing our bags had all taken earlier flights. The flight we wanted was J2 PN1, so we could not SDC.

GS phone agent moved us over into W (original fare class). They only word used by us on the phone was "standby".

Needless to say, there was some "we're not taking that flight in economy, so if it won't clear, we want our original".

Original flight apparently was massively overbooked, so the agent couldn't get us back on.

They pushed through CPUs into PN on the earlier flight, bringing it to J0.

So it worked for us, though presumably a missed VDB opportunity. Also, we're currently stuck in the penalty box (yay SFO), so we haven't even saved any time.

It should be noted that the flight we changed to ended up going to J2 PZ2 before departure, which allowed us to get seats beside each other. So I don't feel too bad about this.

But I'm shocked a GS (or any) agent would move you from PN to W when the only thing you've asked for is "standby on 481". At least they had the power to fix it.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 3:40 am

Recognition for flight attendant?

I’ve read on this thread that those compliment card aren’t really beneficial to flight attendants. How do we best recognize best flight attendants? Would emailing the GS inbox help?

​​​​​​​Recently on two flights where I had the same flight attendant and she was absolutely the best (not just on United but any airline!)
Old Jul 10, 2019, 1:07 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jk2013
I’ve read on this thread that those compliment card aren’t really beneficial to flight attendants. How do we best recognize best flight attendants? Would emailing the GS inbox help? ...
The GS folks can help or what the rest of us do -- https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...-employee.html
Old Jul 10, 2019, 1:26 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Not sure if this belongs here, but it exclusively involves the GS line.

We were on a LAX-SFO flight in PN. We wanted to stand by for an earlier flight after noticing our bags had all taken earlier flights. The flight we wanted was J2 PN1, so we could not SDC.

GS phone agent moved us over into W (original fare class). They only word used by us on the phone was "standby".

Needless to say, there was some "we're not taking that flight in economy, so if it won't clear, we want our original".

Original flight apparently was massively overbooked, so the agent couldn't get us back on.

They pushed through CPUs into PN on the earlier flight, bringing it to J0.

So it worked for us, though presumably a missed VDB opportunity. Also, we're currently stuck in the penalty box (yay SFO), so we haven't even saved any time.

It should be noted that the flight we changed to ended up going to J2 PZ2 before departure, which allowed us to get seats beside each other. So I don't feel too bad about this.

But I'm shocked a GS (or any) agent would move you from PN to W when the only thing you've asked for is "standby on 481". At least they had the power to fix it.
That's a big booboo. But probably should be explicit about it for your own protection in the future. "I want to standby on flight x, but I'm not interested in coach, so please do not give up my current seat and make sure for my standby class it lists first." The ex-CO system sucks in this regard and it doesn't always work right, but, if you are explicit about it, things tend to have happier results.
canadiancow likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.